Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,904

2 members and 2,902 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

Last Friday, my girlfriend and I went looking at cats at a local Petsmart. She immediately fell in love with a young siamese cat and we filled out an application that night. The next morning we went in to play with the cat and turned the application in. It was noted on his sheet that he does not like to be around other cats, yet he was in a room full of them without any way to escape the chaos. We noticed how stressed he was being around them, to the point of attacking them if they got too close to us as we were petting him. His cage was also shut and 4ft off the ground. We've noticed how anxious he is just jumping off the bed and won't even jump on the chairs or couch, so we think he's not very comfortable with heights. Anyways, at that point they told us we seemed like a really good fit, they just had several applications for him, so they needed to make calls and they'd get back to us. Within a couple of hours we were told we were approved, so I went to Petsmart, paid for him, and took him home. Since bringing him in, he has been a non-stop purring machine and we've all been bonding terrifically.

Now, today I got a call and they said their volunteer made a mistake and they don't give cats to homes with snakes. The foster mother was "beside herself" when she heard they were in a house with snakes. On the application, I nearly omitted that fact, but decided to be honest in case they made a housecall. I am aware of the prejudice against snakes and it KILLS ME. I wrote that I had 3 ball pythons that were securely enclosed, plain as day on the app. Now they want to remove the cat from the home because it is in a dangerous situation. I tried to explain that my ball pythons couldn't eat the cat, if that's what they're worried about, and that I'm not an irresponsible snake owner as some people can be. (God, we've probably all heard those horror stories that start with "Oh! I had a snake once! It...[proceeds to tell me how their snake died tragically]")

According to the contract:
    1. I agree this cat is being adopted as a family pet. The cat will have extensive house privileges and remain safely inside the home unless arrangements are made in writing prior to adoption. I agree to provide this cat with proper food, water, shelter, love and necessary veterinary treatment. I affirm I will not allow this cat to be maimed by being declawed or suffer from a tendonectomy surgery.

2. This cat has been examined by a veterinarian chosen by [the Agency] and has received a rabies and FVRCP vaccinations as age appropriate. I understand [the Agency] is not making any representations or warranties regarding the cat's health, physical condition, or age. I understand that veterinary problems may arise with this cat, including zoonotic diseases and/or serious illnesses requiring emergency care or surgery, that those problems are my responsibility, and that I will bear all related costs and provide proper veterinary care to the cat in a timely manner.

3. I understand I am entitled to one free veterinary exam at a cooperating veterinarian. If I choose to have other services performed such as vaccinations, I understand I am responsible for that cost.

4. I agree that [the Agency] may make a visit at a mutually convenient time to ascertain that all the conditions herein are being satisfied. If [the Agency] contacts me to inquire about the cat, I agree to make a good faith effort to return the call as soon as possible.

5. If I change my address or telephone number, I will update the microchip registration information either online or by phone within 3 weeks of the change at no charge. Refer to microchip form.

6. If I can no longer keep this cat, I will notify [the Agency] immediately and work with them to place the cat in an approved home. Under no circumstances will I give the cat to a third party or take the cat to an animal shelter.

7. I understand [the Agency] may reclaim ownership of the cat if any of these conditions are not being met. I agree to fully cooperate and willingly surrender the cat to [the Agency] if that is what is necessary for the health of the cat. I understand I will be liable for expenses [the Agency] may incur by enforcing this contract.

8. I understand [the Agency] is not making any representations or warranties about the cat's temperament or behavior. I acknowledge and agree that [the Agency] is not responsible for any injury, damage, or harm caused by this cat and I hereby release [the Agency] from any injury, damage, harm, expense or liability I incur relating to this cat. I also agree to indemnify [the Agency] from any and all such claims and to pay, without limitation, any costs related to such injury, damage, or liability, including, in the case of litigation, any attorney fees incurred by [the Agency] in its defense.

9. I understand the adoption fee is nonrefundable.

I have discussed this contract with an agency volunteer and I understand its provisions (I DID NOT INITIAL OR SIGN THIS STATEMENT, since we did not have that discussion)

This document is intended to be a complete statement of understanding between you, the adopter, and [the Agency]. It may not be modified except in writing and signed by both parties. By signing this contract, you agree that all the above information is true. Any false information/omissions may result in [the Agency] reclaiming the cat. If the cat escapes and you need help finding/reuiniting them, we have info and people to help. Contact us pronto. [

The Agency] reserves the right to refuse approval of an adoption to anyone, at any time. I am prepared to make a lifetime commitment of care to this cat.

Signed : Yours truly.

So essentially my question is, what can be done? She called us back and said she's been researching ball pythons for the last hour, but the board still says no. I feel this is terribly injust and the cat is at no greater risk of harm than being in a home with a dog or children. I'm sure we're all concerned mostly for the safety of the cat, and I can't say he'd be better off back in the petstore/rescue shelter. Any suggestions or legal advice? Has anyone else gone through this before? I know we just got him, but this isn't fair to the cat nor to us. He doesn't deserve to be tossed around from home to home at such a young impressionable age when we are providing him great care as it is. I'm also tired of the ignorance and prejudice against snakes (especially those as mild as ball pythons). I've mentioned working out a deal with them to do a welfare check to ensure the cat's safety for all parties involved, and she finally got back to me just now and said they might be willing to make that happen. We're so afraid to lose him.

Thank you, also, for taking the time to read this and any proved support. <3 <3 <3

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SylvesterVoltaire For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by SylvesterVoltaire View Post
    Last Friday, my girlfriend and I went looking at cats at a local Petsmart. She immediately fell in love with a young siamese cat and we filled out an application that night. The next morning we went in to play with the cat and turned the application in. It was noted on his sheet that he does not like to be around other cats, yet he was in a room full of them without any way to escape the chaos. We noticed how stressed he was being around them, to the point of attacking them if they got too close to us as we were petting him. His cage was also shut and 4ft off the ground. We've noticed how anxious he is just jumping off the bed and won't even jump on the chairs or couch, so we think he's not very comfortable with heights. Anyways, at that point they told us we seemed like a really good fit, they just had several applications for him, so they needed to make calls and they'd get back to us. Within a couple of hours we were told we were approved, so I went to Petsmart, paid for him, and took him home. Since bringing him in, he has been a non-stop purring machine and we've all been bonding terrifically.

Now, today I got a call and they said their volunteer made a mistake and they don't give cats to homes with snakes. The foster mother was "beside herself" when she heard they were in a house with snakes. On the application, I nearly omitted that fact, but decided to be honest in case they made a housecall. I am aware of the prejudice against snakes and it KILLS ME. I wrote that I had 3 ball pythons that were securely enclosed, plain as day on the app. Now they want to remove the cat from the home because it is in a dangerous situation. I tried to explain that my ball pythons couldn't eat the cat, if that's what they're worried about, and that I'm not an irresponsible snake owner as some people can be. (God, we've probably all heard those horror stories that start with "Oh! I had a snake once! It...[proceeds to tell me how their snake died tragically]")

According to the contract:
    1. I agree this cat is being adopted as a family pet. The cat will have extensive house privileges and remain safely inside the home unless arrangements are made in writing prior to adoption. I agree to provide this cat with proper food, water, shelter, love and necessary veterinary treatment. I affirm I will not allow this cat to be maimed by being declawed or suffer from a tendonectomy surgery.

2. This cat has been examined by a veterinarian chosen by [the Agency] and has received a rabies and FVRCP vaccinations as age appropriate. I understand [the Agency] is not making any representations or warranties regarding the cat's health, physical condition, or age. I understand that veterinary problems may arise with this cat, including zoonotic diseases and/or serious illnesses requiring emergency care or surgery, that those problems are my responsibility, and that I will bear all related costs and provide proper veterinary care to the cat in a timely manner.

3. I understand I am entitled to one free veterinary exam at a cooperating veterinarian. If I choose to have other services performed such as vaccinations, I understand I am responsible for that cost.

4. I agree that [the Agency] may make a visit at a mutually convenient time to ascertain that all the conditions herein are being satisfied. If [the Agency] contacts me to inquire about the cat, I agree to make a good faith effort to return the call as soon as possible.

5. If I change my address or telephone number, I will update the microchip registration information either online or by phone within 3 weeks of the change at no charge. Refer to microchip form.

6. If I can no longer keep this cat, I will notify [the Agency] immediately and work with them to place the cat in an approved home. Under no circumstances will I give the cat to a third party or take the cat to an animal shelter.

7. I understand [the Agency] may reclaim ownership of the cat if any of these conditions are not being met. I agree to fully cooperate and willingly surrender the cat to [the Agency] if that is what is necessary for the health of the cat. I understand I will be liable for expenses [the Agency] may incur by enforcing this contract.

8. I understand [the Agency] is not making any representations or warranties about the cat's temperament or behavior. I acknowledge and agree that [the Agency] is not responsible for any injury, damage, or harm caused by this cat and I hereby release [the Agency] from any injury, damage, harm, expense or liability I incur relating to this cat. I also agree to indemnify [the Agency] from any and all such claims and to pay, without limitation, any costs related to such injury, damage, or liability, including, in the case of litigation, any attorney fees incurred by [the Agency] in its defense.

9. I understand the adoption fee is nonrefundable.

I have discussed this contract with an agency volunteer and I understand its provisions (I DID NOT INITIAL OR SIGN THIS STATEMENT, since we did not have that discussion)

This document is intended to be a complete statement of understanding between you, the adopter, and [the Agency]. It may not be modified except in writing and signed by both parties. By signing this contract, you agree that all the above information is true. Any false information/omissions may result in [the Agency] reclaiming the cat. If the cat escapes and you need help finding/reuiniting them, we have info and people to help. Contact us pronto. [

The Agency] reserves the right to refuse approval of an adoption to anyone, at any time. I am prepared to make a lifetime commitment of care to this cat.

Signed : Yours truly.

So essentially my question is, what can be done? She called us back and said she's been researching ball pythons for the last hour, but the board still says no. I feel this is terribly injust and the cat is at no greater risk of harm than being in a home with a dog or children. I'm sure we're all concerned mostly for the safety of the cat, and I can't say he'd be better off back in the petstore/rescue shelter. Any suggestions or legal advice? Has anyone else gone through this before? I know we just got him, but this isn't fair to the cat nor to us. He doesn't deserve to be tossed around from home to home at such a young impressionable age when we are providing him great care as it is. I'm also tired of the ignorance and prejudice against snakes (especially those as mild as ball pythons). I've mentioned working out a deal with them to do a welfare check to ensure the cat's safety for all parties involved, and she finally got back to me just now and said they might be willing to make that happen. We're so afraid to lose him.

Thank you, also, for taking the time to read this and any proved support. <3 <3 <3
    First, that's terrible. I agree, ignorance towards snakes.

Secondly, good for you for being honest.

Third, shame on them for missing that, giving you a cat, and taking it back.

What a horrible situation all around.

I feel for you.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-26-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

Sounds like bull to be honest. Petsmart sells ball pythons. I worked at petsmart for a while, but the adoptions are usually through a different organization. From what I remember though a petsmart employee would fill out the paperwork and that was that. (But of course I never saw what went on afterward) Do you know which organization this is through? The contract doesn't say anything about pythons, so that's a plus. I hope everything works out.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timelugia For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-26-2018),PokeyTheNinja (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    A full grown cat would be more than a match for a full grown ball python.
    the snake has quick strike, and muscle, but the cat is far greater armed, with huge fangs and razor sharp claws.
    ignorance! The ball python is the one at risk, in a fair fight, my money wiuld be on the cat. They are fearsome predators.

regardless of these facts, you describe yourself as an exceptionally resonsible pet owner, and i doubt you would ever allow the two predators to be in contact. I wish you a fair trial, and your new pet cat is not unjustly taken from you.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-26-2018 at 10:59 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-26-2018),PokeyTheNinja (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

Thanks

Just another reason to stop shopping at petsmart.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hannahrenee For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-27-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-27-2018),Godzilla78 (02-26-2018),GpBp (02-28-2018),Slicercrush (03-06-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018),tttaylorrr (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    I'm speechless. I'm too astonished at how ridiculous and ignorant they were to you. Completely unreasonable and unfair to you, I'm so sorry op
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    First of all wow... that’s just down right f’d up! Second,” I understand [the Agency] may reclaim ownership of the cat if any of these conditions are not being met. “

I’m no lawyer but I’ve done and dealt with a lot of legal issues for my job. I’ve been to court hundreds of times, sat on a witness stand just as many times and know a lot or so I think. That contract says nothing about snakes or other animals, nor does it say they can take the cat from you for their own mistake or lack of reading. It says if any of the conditions of the contract aren’t being met. Which they aren’t.

Id push legally and threaten legal action. An agency like this isn’t going tk want to deal with the cost of a possible law suit. Nor do they want the bad press that could come from this.

Id act like the snake here.... his and pop off as best you can. Even if you don’t intend to do anything. Sometimes yelling and screaming and making a scene is enough. Get your local newspaper and or news station involved if need be. Go on social media I’d even go as far as calling the ASPCA or your local animal cruelty agency involved. They are supposed to show love and equality for all animals.

you aren’t living in a studio apartment with snakes crawling all over and the cat has to avoid them or vice versa.

Id also make sure the snakes are in their own room with a door that remains locked. Your best defense is going to be that neither knkw the other is even in the house and they will never cross paths.

Harp on the language of that contract to no end. If you’d like post pictures of the actual contract or Pm Me and I’ll gice you my email. I’ll read it and point out every loop hole and what language to press it’s all about the language and the contract.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-27-2018),Godzilla78 (02-26-2018),hilabeans (02-27-2018),PokeyTheNinja (02-27-2018),Slicercrush (03-06-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018),Timelugia (02-27-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Thats very noble that you were honest. I am also to a point. Sometimes these organizations are off the chain into your personal business that has nothing to do with the safety of the pet. I wont be screwed with like that so I only give the info I know pertains. If I followed every nonsense rule these places have 3 dogs I had for 13 healthy years wouldn't of lived that I took of a kill list at our NY kennel. I brought them home when I Volunteered there and was not honest to save them.
    If I were you I would tell them the cat got out. They will follow up im sure. Return the calls for awhile then tell them if they dont stop harassing you over a cat you'll be talking to law enforcement about Harassment. Get a vet that isn't affiliated with them what so ever and enjoy you new pet.
    Some people might think this is inappropriate, well no more so than this situation they put you in.. On another note, if for any reason you dont want the cat after this boloney, demand a refund as you dont want anything else from them and let them know you'll be reporting them to the BBB and anyone else who will listen to the nonsense they pulled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-26-2018),dakski (02-27-2018),Godzilla78 (02-26-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Wow. Wow, wow, wow wow. I am so sorry, OP. This is ridiculous, and is definitely a black mark on the adoption agency.

From the sounds of things, there's nothing in the contract that specifies what sort of pets you may or may not own in order to be eligible to adopt a cat. Nada. Not a thing. I would point this out until you're blue in the face. Contracts also tend to be legally binding, so the fact that they allowed you to take the cat home and approved the paperwork before trying to revoke your cat would not look good for them in a court of law. I think at the very least threatening legal action would be a good idea, and it might even be good to contact a few lawyers in the area just to back you up if need be.

Do you have locks on your ball pythons enclosures? If they agree to a wellfare check, having locks on the enclosures themselves could only help them feel more reassured that the cat is indeed safe.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Ask them to direct you to the conditions of the contract that you are not meeting. They approved the adoption. You have the cat in your home now, right? I don't see anything in there mentioning snakes specifically so it was their mistake for approving you if they have an unwritten rule. As far as I can see, with no legal knowhow whatsoever, they have no grounds to remove the cat from you at this point. The whole, "snakes are dangerous" bit is too subjective. Only way I could see them being able to pull off the 7) at this point is if they had mentioned snakes in the contract.

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bcr229 (02-27-2018),C.Marie (02-27-2018),CALM Pythons (02-27-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-27-2018),dadofsix (02-28-2018),dakski (02-27-2018),Godzilla78 (02-27-2018),Kira (02-27-2018),MissterDog (02-27-2018),SylvesterVoltaire (02-27-2018),Team Slytherin (02-27-2018),tttaylorrr (02-27-2018)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast