Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 546

0 members and 546 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Bairds ratsnake colour genetics questions..

Hi, this is my first post and it may be somewhat of stupid one!
    But here goes;

I know with corn snakes there are loads of fantastic morphs- is that the same with bairdis? From what I've seen they generally come in a salmon or silver colour, I haven't seen any other variants (of the Bairds at least).

Also, is there a name for the salmon colour? What about the lovely metallic silver colour?

Last one- is there anywhere I'd be able to find a chart/ calculator for different possibilities of different colourings?

Thanks in advance

Lumi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Bairds ratsnake colour genetics questions..

Hi Lumi. Welcome to the ball-pthons.net forums!

Your post was NOT stupid! Far from it.

Baird's rat snakes are not a major interest for me, but genetics of snakes is. So I spent an hour doing web searches with the Google search engine. A breeder's web site featured hypo Baird's rat snakes. I've found mentions of albino Baird's, too, but they seem rare (so far). Searching for "baird's rat snake pictures" produced many pictures, enough to make me believe there are at least two more genetic morphs among them. But you do have to be careful to check the captions, as there are other rat snake pictures along with the Baird's pictures. Whatever, Baird's do not have the variety of morphs that corn snakes do.

I do not know the trade names for various colors. Sorry.

I did a quick look for a genetics chart/calculator for the Baird's rat snake. No luck. Not even a list of single mutants, much less combinations. This is not too surprising though, as that sort of thing is mostly reserved for species more common in captivity than Baird's rat snakes.

You may want to spend time seaching the web and trying to make your own list. If so, I'd like to see it. Good luck.

Thanks
    I'm also interested in any info that you find. I know that they change color as they age, but I'm not sure that there are specific named morphs. When I was looking up info on them a while back, I noticed the variance in color of adults but wasn't able to find any specific info on that. Baird's are really lovely snakes and I am especially fond of the orange coloration. Love to own one some day!