Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,442

2 members and 3,440 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Corn Snake Morph Question

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    All this thread is making me want to do is...

GET A CORN SNAKE. HAHA!

I think one may be in my future....

after i I Save for my dreamsicle ball. Lol
    I love my corn snake, Figment, he rocks! There are so many beautiful morphs, and they are easy to care for.

However, they are really, really, tiny as babies. A little awareness for their small size is necessary.

I have a diverse collection though; some people love just one species. However, I think you are more like me, and want some variety!

Keep us in the loop if you go that way, Phillydubs, we are here to help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

That reminds me I need to eventually start a thread here for all my corns.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-25-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Corns can be pretty laid back, unless they are looking for food! Mine moves around at night (they are nocturnal) and when hungry. Otherwise, pretty chill.

How often and what are you feeding? How much does she weight/how big? If feeding too often or meals too big, she might not get hungry enough to search for food. Corns will eat every time offered pretty much, even if they don't need food. They are opportunistic and aggressive feeders.

Another theory is that if it's too cold on the cool side and/or ambient temps, she is staying on the hot pad because she has to. Even if the hot spot is too hot, she will do that thinking it is the best option.
    When I first got her, the guy was feeding her once a month, and only 1 pinkie, kinda the reason I took her in, cause that to me was way too little. The first time I fed her, it was 2 pinkies, so I decided to bump her up to a hopper, she ate it no problem. I wait about 10 days for her feeding, last time it was 14 due to her shedding. A hopper here is about 12.5 Grams. Unfortunately I do not have her weighed, I need to do that.

The Heat pad is on the outside of the tank, the thermostat is directly touching the glass and I let it hit about 85-86, she stays above the substrate so slightly less. The hot side of the tank is at 80 and the cold side is at about 73, so I might turn on a small heat lamp and put in the middle to kinda balance the temp a bit more.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    When I first got her, the guy was feeding her once a month, and only 1 pinkie, kinda the reason I took her in, cause that to me was way too little. The first time I fed her, it was 2 pinkies, so I decided to bump her up to a hopper, she ate it no problem. I wait about 10 days for her feeding, last time it was 14 due to her shedding. A hopper here is about 12.5 Grams. Unfortunately I do not have her weighed, I need to do that.

The Heat pad is on the outside of the tank, the thermostat is directly touching the glass and I let it hit about 85-86, she stays above the substrate so slightly less. The hot side of the tank is at 80 and the cold side is at about 73, so I might turn on a small heat lamp and put in the middle to kinda balance the temp a bit more.
    I would raise both the hot side and the cool side.

Cool side okay just a few degrees warmer. You can make it 75-76F even, so I wouldn't go crazy. 76-78F is ideal.

Warm side should be 84-86F.

There is virtually always a discrepancy between the thermostat and the actual temp. Good you are regulating heat and that should be a simple adjustment.

A small ceramic heat emitter (CHE) should do the trick for you. A heat bulb could work, but being nocturnal, corns do not want too much light. I also like to separate heat from light. Please use something to regulate the heat of the CHE as well.

A corn should eat every week until about 300G. Ten days is okay, if close to that, but you should giving an appropriate sized meal. You seem to be doing significantly better than whoever had her last. Looks like you need just a few adjustments and everything will be great.

Below is the a description of the Munson Corn Snake Feeding plan. You can google it, but this is it.

This feeding guide, the Munson Plan, is a pretty accurate and good estimate of what your corn snake should be eating and at what size.
    "-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
    -Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
    -Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
    -Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
    -Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
    -Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
    -Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+) See below.

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Adult females are fed every 7-12 days; adult males are fed every 11-14 days.
    This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate."
    Last edited by dakski; 02-26-2018 at 05:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12