Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,968

1 members and 2,967 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Account Disabled
    Thanks
    So Finally got her and all I can say is WOW! She's incredible, love the look of her and how extremely friendly she is to handle. But the thing I probably love most is how curious she is in her tank, a snake you can actually watch lol its really cool.

Went with a mix of Eco Earth and Cyprus for substrate. Attached pictures of her current set up, any feedback or criticism is appreciated, won't get offended lol. Might be removing the branch as i don't think its strong enough and adding a pole from side to side she can lay on, issue is getting something wide enough, might go with 2 Shower curtain rods a few inches apart and maybe that will make more room for her on the ground to navigate.

In regards to breaking the habit of Live feeding, will be giving her what she's used to at first, live hamsters, then I am thinking Live Mice the next time and then Frozen Mice, hopefully its an easy transition.

But thanks again everyone for your help! Incredible snake! VERY HAPPY!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamsnacks For This Useful Post:

John1982 (03-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Carpet Python Questions

Wow, she looks great Ham. Carpets are amazing to watch, handle and feed. Your girl is pretty big. I agree with you that you'll probably need some sturdier branches and you might need an enclosure upgrade soon too . She'll use every inch of the cage she's in. Keep us posted on your progress with lots of pictures of her.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    She sure is pretty, I love all of the black on her. Your feeding plan sounds like a good one.

The cage is set up nicely. I totally agree with Ziggy about upgrading. It would be nice if you could enlarge it soon. But sometimes we can only do what we can. I’ve had some of my Carpets a bit squeezed in before, so I know how it is.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, so what are you guys thinking 6x2x2? Or 4x2x4?

Her current set up is 56"x22"x26" so approximately 4.7'x1.8'x2.2'
    Wife is going to kill me lol but I'll justify it by buying her something nice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamsnacks For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-12-2018)

Thanks
    Wow, you are saying that tank is four and a half feet long?

How long is the snake? Let’s start there.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

Thanks
    I really like your setup. Yes she looks great as well.

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Wow, you are saying that tank is four and a half feet long?

How long is the snake? Let’s start there.
    Tried the best I can do today to measure her on my own, my best guess would be 6.25 Feet - 6.50 Feet Long.
    I had some friends come by and they said the tank looked a lot smaller in picture than in person, so maybe that's why?

Side note, when the previous owner dropped her off he told me that I should feed her immediately as she hasn't eaten in a while. Tried my first feeding today and gave up after I seen the Hamster was walking all over her and just looked like it was stressing her out. Contacted the guy and he said, "Oh yeah, she's in shed, her eyes should turn cloudy soon" really pissed me off as I was handling her a lot the last few days, should of known myself or looked for signs on her body that she may be shedding but unfortunately was blinded by excitement. But kinda happy she's not with him anymore. Hate bad owners lol, sorry for the rant, just really pissed me off.

One last question, as the weather is starting to warm up, in the summer have you guys ever took your Carpets outside to just go through the grass? Obviously supervised or 1) Do you think it'll be more stressful than beneficial? 2) It may be too risky and she might get away?

Thanks again

Thanks
    A general guideline is to add the length plus the width of the cage with the result being equal or greater than the length of the snake. Thus, a 4x2x2 would work for a maximum 6 ft snake. This is not engraved in stone. Everybody has their own thoughts and desires. Personally I think it is a good starting point to give new owners some direction and starting point.

Sounds like you may be close to max using this guideline. If so, don’t feel that you have rush out and get a 6 x2x2 and ring up credit card debt. Just live with it a while and observe your snake. You will figure out if and when to upgrade if need be.

As as far as taking your snake outside, many folks do it. If you feel you can do it safely without the snake escaping or becoming food for a hawk or dog then give it a whirl. I don’t feel that I can provide the proper setting so I don’t do it.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Do your carpets go for an extended period of time without eating?

The owner said she would be staving by now and hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. Then said she was in shed. It's been about a week since I've owned her, she has no cloudiness in her eyes, and still refuses to eat. These hamsters are starting to get their cage smelling bad and I don't want them in the house lol but is this normal Carpet Behavior?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    Do your carpets go for an extended period of time without eating?

The owner said she would be staving by now and hasn't eaten in 2 weeks. Then said she was in shed. It's been about a week since I've owned her, she has no cloudiness in her eyes, and still refuses to eat. These hamsters are starting to get their cage smelling bad and I don't want them in the house lol but is this normal Carpet Behavior?
    A couple of my carpets will take a food break for a month or two during the winter months or breeding season. It's not uncommon. Double check and make sure your temps are dialed in. If you're all good there then no need to worry sometimes they just take a while to acclimate to a new environment. I had a young carpet that didn't eat for the first 6 weeks that I had her and she was only 100g at the time. Your girl could also be in the final stages of a shed. Their eyes will clear up after the blue phase and they'll usually shed a few days after that. In any event, two weeks without food is no big deal. Try her again in a week or two and hopefully she'll eat for you. She's obviously a well established feeder at that size.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (03-16-2018)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast