Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,851

1 members and 1,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    I own one carpet, an IJ / Jungle jag. Mine is in a 4'x2'x18" pvc enclosure from animal plastics (sliding glass, locking doors, basking shelf). He uses the shelf and climbing space (branches) more than the floor space, but he will soak in his large water bowl and use his ground-level hides occasionally. Jungles and IJs tend to stay smaller than coastals, so a 3' long cage that is taller would suit those types better.

As for temperament, defensive / nippy and flighty as babies.. They grow out of this if handled properly. I still use a hook to let mine known that I am going to pick him up (stroke him first) and he is still flighty as an adult, but does not bite.

As an aside, if you are going to be doing a lot of handling, you might want to avoid getting a jag morph. Mine has balance issues that show when being handled, but can function normally in his cage.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    So I am talking with a guy who needs to let his 5 Year old Jungle Carpet python go, she only eats live, he says she's extremely calm and loves to be handled. Cage size is 54" Long x 22" Deep x 25" Height

Just wondering if you guy's had any tips, of course I'm going to ask him the same questions but from my experience with other owners, they may have a way of doing something but it may be the wrong way of doing it lol.

1) In terms of substrate, I read a lot of guys use the Orchid bark. For my Corn Snake, I use the Eco Earth Coconut Fiber, I like the color plus I find it very easy for the snake to navigate through. But then a lot of other guys simply use newspaper because they say, "Have you ever cleaned poop from a large snake, good luck if its not on newspaper" Any opinions on that? I just don't like the look of newspaper but I am so used to the Corn and how easy it is to clean its droppings once a week with a single paper towel.

2) Since it only eats live mice, would you recommend inside her tank or in a separate one? Also how many mice and how often?

3) Do you put your snakes in water often, like in the tub?

At 5 years I'm assuming she's now full grown correct?

Thanks in advance. I have attached 3 pictures.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamsnacks For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-09-2018)

Thanks

Re: Carpet Python Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    So I am talking with a guy who needs to let his 5 Year old Jungle Carpet python go, she only eats live, he says she's extremely calm and loves to be handled. Cage size is 54" Long x 22" Deep x 25" Height

Just wondering if you guy's had any tips, of course I'm going to ask him the same questions but from my experience with other owners, they may have a way of doing something but it may be the wrong way of doing it lol.

1) In terms of substrate, I read a lot of guys use the Orchid bark. For my Corn Snake, I use the Eco Earth Coconut Fiber, I like the color plus I find it very easy for the snake to navigate through. But then a lot of other guys simply use newspaper because they say, "Have you ever cleaned poop from a large snake, good luck if its not on newspaper" Any opinions on that? I just don't like the look of newspaper but I am so used to the Corn and how easy it is to clean its droppings once a week with a single paper towel.

2) Since it only eats live mice, would you recommend inside her tank or in a separate one? Also how many mice and how often?

3) Do you put your snakes in water often, like in the tub?

At 5 years I'm assuming she's now full grown correct?

Thanks in advance. I have attached 3 pictures.

You can use eco earth, I used it for one of mine and it worked well for the most part. I prefer Cypress mulch.
    Feed inside the enclosure, No reason to move the snake. And I'd feed as many mice as it would take to weigh about as much as a rat she'd take at that size.
    I don't soak my snakes, they don't need it and it's just more stressful than anything. And she should be at adult size at 5 years.

Thanks

That’s a nice size enclosure. Don’t move to feed. Watch out for yourself, too, mouse bites hurt worse than snake bites, IMO.

My carpets have aspen, a fairly good layer, so when they go I can usually just take out a handful. I’ve got several snakes on Eco-Earth, same thing for cleanup. Go ahead and try it, if you don’t like it, try something else - you aren’t locked in to one thing.

All three of my carpets are easy feeders, that happily take mice or rats, and the bigger two chicks or rabbit kits (just haven’t offered either to the third one yet, I expect no problems), so I’d give switching to f/t a try. YMMV. My big Bredli and the JCP get medium or small rats every two weeks, the IJCP is on the same schedule, but weaned rats or adult mice. I just re-stocked on rabbit kits, I need to look at the sizes to see if they will be getting one or two on rabbit weeks, or combination of a kit and a rat, mouse, or chick.

I put my JCP in the tub once when he’d been playing Poocasso. He cruised around periscoping, didn’t seem to mind a bit. My IJCP loves to sit in his water dish (need to give him a bigger one), he’d probably enjoy the tub, but I haven’t tried it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Thank you for the responses guys, very appreciated! Extremely excited to get her this week.

Turns out I assumed he meant live mice but I guess she used to eat F/T and 2 years ago suddenly stopped and his supplier moved so now he feeds her live Hamsters.

So I will definitely be trying to change her diet, especially since I heard hamsters can have a harsh bite and I wouldn't know how to prekill a hamster lol. Plus he says she sometimes eats once every 2 weeks or once a month, maybe she isn't a fan of hamsters.

I won't have access to rats, so would 2 large mice work every 2 weeks?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I usually feed my adult carpets a medium or large rat every 2-3 weeks. Two jumbo mice is almost the equivalent of a medium rat.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    There are some good archived threads here and more current worth looking at.

Check this one out.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Better-Than-TV!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Carpet Python Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    Thank you for the responses guys, very appreciated! Extremely excited to get her this week.

Turns out I assumed he meant live mice but I guess she used to eat F/T and 2 years ago suddenly stopped and his supplier moved so now he feeds her live Hamsters.

So I will definitely be trying to change her diet, especially since I heard hamsters can have a harsh bite and I wouldn't know how to prekill a hamster lol. Plus he says she sometimes eats once every 2 weeks or once a month, maybe she isn't a fan of hamsters.

I won't have access to rats, so would 2 large mice work every 2 weeks?

Thanks
    Congrats on your new Carpet!

Sorry, I’m from the “I don’t buy it Camp” when folks say this snake will ONLY eat this or that.

I have 9 snakes, all but one were preowned when I got them. For more than half of them I was told, “they only eat live”, or “they only eat live mice”, “don’t waste your time trying to switch them, it won’t happen”.

Well guess what? They were all switched to frozen rats within a month of two. No secret here, or extra brains, just determination on my part. There are plenty of threads here with tips. Just follow through with them. Your snake will not starve itself to death.

Etta with a Large frozen rat. Far cry from “ live mice only”.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-09-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-10-2018),jmcrook (03-10-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Totally agree with you Reinz. I got her today, great looking snake, definitely more active already then what I'm typically used to with other snakes.

1 thing I can never understand is how people can claim their tank is clean but is a complete mess. So just letting her settle in for 24 hours but then going to have to move her and do a complete clean of the tank, likely some hot water with a small amount of bleach.
    He gave me some live Hamsters as well, plan is to just have her eat them and then try live mice and if that goes well then move on to frozen mice/rats. Take it slow, week by week.

She does hiss that's for sure lol, but most likely stressed from the car and the move. But hopefully all goes well!

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I own one carpet, an IJ / Jungle jag. Mine is in a 4'x2'x18" pvc enclosure from animal plastics (sliding glass, locking doors, basking shelf). He uses the shelf and climbing space (branches) more than the floor space, but he will soak in his large water bowl and use his ground-level hides occasionally. Jungles and IJs tend to stay smaller than coastals, so a 3' long cage that is taller would suit those types better.

As for temperament, defensive / nippy and flighty as babies.. They grow out of this if handled properly. I still use a hook to let mine known that I am going to pick him up (stroke him first) and he is still flighty as an adult, but does not bite.

As an aside, if you are going to be doing a lot of handling, you might want to avoid getting a jag morph. Mine has balance issues that show when being handled, but can function normally in his cage.
    With regard to Jag neuro issues, how prevalent is it, and is there a way to "test" for it by handling? There's a Bredl Jag at a local sho that i am slightly obsessed with. i haven't handle her b/c i'm still trying to convince my wife and i don't want to be a tire-kicker if i'm not actually in a position to buy, but id really like to know if she's got issues before i get serious b/c i am all about lots of handling, thats one of the things that has peaked my interest in carpets (i don't have any yet), the fun and active handling.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast