Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,339

1 members and 2,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Carpet Python Questions

Fasting carpet? Not in this house! They will skip a feeding while in shed, though. As El-Ziggy said, she could be in the “cleared” phase of shed (there’s a pinned thread in one of the BP sections with pictures). My adults are fed every 2 weeks (unless another snake is obviously refusing), so when they’re in shed they can go 4 weeks between feedings, and are fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Fasting carpet? Not in this house! They will skip a feeding while in shed, though. As El-Ziggy said, she could be in the “cleared” phase of shed (there’s a pinned thread in one of the BP sections with pictures). My adults are fed every 2 weeks (unless another snake is obviously refusing), so when they’re in shed they can go 4 weeks between feedings, and are fine.

Do you feed your snakes at night by any chance? Or a particular time, closer to the darker hours? Going to try to feed her again today but every time it has been during the day with her daylight on. Never had to do that with my other snakes but maybe these guys a bit pickier?

Thanks

I do feed in the evening, usually 7-8 pm-ish. Depending on the time of year it may or may not be dark outside, but they all have lights in their enclosures. I’ve fed earlier in the day a few times, but I don’t recall if the carpets objected.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (03-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I usually feed my snakes at night also but I have fed them during the day a few times and they've always eaten.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Hamsnacks (03-20-2018)

Thanks
    Do the carpets tend to be active during the day as well?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Carpet Python Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    Do the carpets tend to be active during the day as well?
    Mine kind of go in phases, sometimes only active at night, sometimes day and night. But now that I think on it, they tend to get active when I’m in the room for more than a few minutes. If I have to spot clean and pull water dishes for cleaning, then they start begging to come out and play. But then there times they just want to sleep and not be bothered. Those are the times I can reach in and spot clean, pull water bowls and replace and they won’t even acknowledge me.

The bottom line, I can get plenty of daytime handling or playtime out my Carpets.

Tonight, 3 were active and one was not.

Actually, 2 not active, Sundance (not in pic) is across the room sleeping.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-21-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: poor typing
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (03-21-2018),Hamsnacks (03-21-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Cages- either one will work. However, I believe the best overall would be the 4x2. Especially if you get a Coastal Carpet. They average 7-8 feet as an adult and that little extra bit of floor space will give it some breathing room.

Now if the tank is what you already have it will work fine for 1.5-2 years if you start with a baby. After that the snake will be cramped.
    Lizzy, Coastal Carpet at 7 foot here in a 4x2x2 which works, but I moved her into a 6 foot enclosure.

One if my Jungle Carpets never got on the floor in her tall tank except to soak in her water bowl. So for her floor space was not an issue. I think that this was uncommon though. But now as an adult in a 4x4 enclosure she will use the floor since this setup has belly heat.
    Esmarelda, Jungle Carpet- though this 4x2x4 is not a must, she makes use of all of the space.

If you have no caging at all right now, the PVC enclosure is great to start with. It will sure make the husbandry much easier. I had tanks for years only because I was unaware of PVC until I joined here. I feel that I wasted a lot of money on those tanks. Everything is just sooo much easier with the PVC.

Temperment- Carpets are known to be defensive and nippy when young. The more you work with them, the sooner they will calm down. Also,the bites don’t hurt at all when young.

I have 5 Carpets that range from 6-8 feet and they are all sweethearts. I really enjoy handling sessions with the Carpets. They are really fun snakes. I’m sure your experience will similar.

Lizzy when she was 7 foot

Now that I have her and in her glass tank, totally agree with you lol, PVC is the way to go. Your tanks just look a lot better than when you see empty PVC tanks online for sale and I think that's why I avoided them initially.

Just had a few questions in regards to your tank set up, as you're obviously very experienced and knowledgeable with these snakes.

1) I noticed you have some tanks with 2 hides and others that don't have 2. I currently only have the 1 but during shedding I added a container and I found she stuck with her 1 hide. Do you find the second hide is used a lot?

2) The branches you use in one of your tanks looks really good but they also don't seem like the world's thickest branches, your snake doesn't snap them with her weight? I want to do something similar but worried due to her weight.

Your 4x2x4 is incredible by the way lol

Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Carpet Python Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    Now that I have her and in her glass tank, totally agree with you lol, PVC is the way to go. Your tanks just look a lot better than when you see empty PVC tanks online for sale and I think that's why I avoided them initially.

Just had a few questions in regards to your tank set up, as you're obviously very experienced and knowledgeable with these snakes.

1) I noticed you have some tanks with 2 hides and others that don't have 2. I currently only have the 1 but during shedding I added a container and I found she stuck with her 1 hide. Do you find the second hide is used a lot?

2) The branches you use in one of your tanks looks really good but they also don't seem like the world's thickest branches, your snake doesn't snap them with her weight? I want to do something similar but worried due to her weight.

Your 4x2x4 is incredible by the way lol

Thanks again
    None of my Carpets will use hides on the ground except maybe once or twice a year during shed. Once I put hides on the ceiling they use them quite a bit. Now they will semi-hide under their shelf at times. But the Skyhides are their favorite, especially for hunting.

I no longer have any hides on the ground for my Carpets or even my Boas since they don’t use them. The only ground hides are for my BP and very young Olive Python.

Even my small Boa prefers a Skyhide over a ground one.

My big Boa’s cage does not have enough vertical height for a Skyhide, so he has none.

Branches- Haha, I never gave thought to those branches being flimsy, they do look like it. However, I never have seen much flex out of them. Maybe because the weight of the snake is spread out, and or these Crate Myrtle braches are muck stronger than they look.

All of her weight is being held by this flimsy branch. Keep in mind that it is resting against the side of the cage.
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-25-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Reinz, do you takes the hides out during cleaning? Is that a pain in the you know what?
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Account Disabled
    Thanks

Woow yeah definitely aren't flimsy if they can hold the snake up like that. That's awesome! I'm going to try to find some solid pieces.

I wish I could do the hanging hides, looks way better but don't have a solid top like your PVC tank.

Might be time to upgrade lol

Thanks again Reinz!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast