Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,807

0 members and 2,807 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Carpet Python Questions

Hello,

I've decided my next snake will be a Carpet Python, they just have an incredible look to them. I don't know which exact species it would be at this point but my questions are in general.

Just had 2 questions for those who have personal experience or knowledge on these guys.

1) Cage requirements, I looked into what most people recommend, 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 2 feet high. I'm wondering if you guys think a tank that is 3 feet wide, 1.5 Feet deep and 3 feet high would also work? Less floor but more height.

2) In terms of comparison to Ball Python Temper, have you had any issues with your carpets?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Re: Carpet Python Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    1) Cage requirements, I looked into what most people recommend, 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 2 feet high. I'm wondering if you guys think a tank that is 3 feet wide, 1.5 Feet deep and 3 feet high would also work? Less floor but more height.

2) In terms of comparison to Ball Python Temper, have you had any issues with your carpets?
    Depends what type of carpet you're looking at getting. Some of the smaller ssp would be very happy in a 3x1.5x3, though most adult coastals would be cramped. Figure out what kind of carpet python you're getting, then you can figure out an appropriate enclosure size. On average, carpets have more of a hair trigger than ball pythons. Where you can usually just reach in and snatch up a ball python, you're more likely to get tagged if you startle a carpet python. Most calm down easily enough with little effort on the keeper's part.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Carpet Python Questions

Cages- either one will work. However, I believe the best overall would be the 4x2. Especially if you get a Coastal Carpet. They average 7-8 feet as an adult and that little extra bit of floor space will give it some breathing room.

Now if the tank is what you already have it will work fine for 1.5-2 years if you start with a baby. After that the snake will be cramped.
    Lizzy, Coastal Carpet at 7 foot here in a 4x2x2 which works, but I moved her into a 6 foot enclosure.

One if my Jungle Carpets never got on the floor in her tall tank except to soak in her water bowl. So for her floor space was not an issue. I think that this was uncommon though. But now as an adult in a 4x4 enclosure she will use the floor since this setup has belly heat.
    Esmarelda, Jungle Carpet- though this 4x2x4 is not a must, she makes use of all of the space.

If you have no caging at all right now, the PVC enclosure is great to start with. It will sure make the husbandry much easier. I had tanks for years only because I was unaware of PVC until I joined here. I feel that I wasted a lot of money on those tanks. Everything is just sooo much easier with the PVC.

Temperment- Carpets are known to be defensive and nippy when young. The more you work with them, the sooner they will calm down. Also,the bites don’t hurt at all when young.

I have 5 Carpets that range from 6-8 feet and they are all sweethearts. I really enjoy handling sessions with the Carpets. They are really fun snakes. I’m sure your experience will similar.

Lizzy when she was 7 foot
    Last edited by Reinz; 02-25-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-26-2018),Gio (03-09-2018),jmcrook (02-25-2018),John1982 (03-16-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for the information John and Reinz.

Definitely want one now for sure after seeing your reply Reinz haha. They look incredible.
    I looked into the PVC tanks, just was never a fan of the look. I am looking for one with 2 front swinging doors, definitely hard to find in 4x2x2 but will wait until I get one before purchasing a Carpet.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
    Thank you very much for the information John and Reinz.

Definitely want one now for sure after seeing your reply Reinz haha. They look incredible.
    I looked into the PVC tanks, just was never a fan of the look. I am looking for one with 2 front swinging doors, definitely hard to find in 4x2x2 but will wait until I get one before purchasing a Carpet.
    Animal Plastics has 4x2x2 with swinging doors.
    http://www.apcages.com/home/terrestrial/T12/T12.htm

Pricey.... but worth it, IMO.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

My Jungle is in a 4x2x2, and uses the whole thing. My big Bredli girl is in a 4x2x2, as she isn’t as much of a climber. Both those are AP enclosures, with basking shelves and PVC jungle gyms, and they use the shelves a *lot*. The JCP uses his jungle gym, the Bredli not much. My Irian Jaya seems to be even more arboreal than my JCP, so I’m seriously considering building him an arboreal enclosure now that he’s getting grown up.

My JCP and Bredli were nippy babies, but have grown put of it. My IJCP has been an absolute sweetheart since I got him. They’re definitely more active than BPs, and you do need to take a little care not to startle them, but they’re not aggresive. My Bredli even seems to be getting over some of her extreme head-shy-ness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Carpet Python Questions

Hamsnacks- one of prettiest Carpets are the Jungles with bright yellow and black. John1982, the first reply to your post, breeds exceptional looking Jungles. It would be worth your while you contact him if you might be considering a Jungle.

The previous picture of my Jungle may be confusing. She lost the little bit of yellow she had, which is rare. Usually, they only get brighter.

I do have another Jungle that is bright, but my phone camera and poor house lighting do not pick it up.

The Sundance Kid, Jungle Carpet, yellow is not captured by my camera.
    Last edited by Reinz; 02-25-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Yeah will definitely be going 4x2x2 to start and then depending on the snakes movement go bigger if needed. I definitely agree with you Reinz, the black and yellow look incredible, but I am also a fan of the dark colors. Its kinda childish but I think I like the look so much cause they look like they'd be dangerous snakes or a snake you'd want to avoid if you ever saw in the wild haha they just look like a "real" snake if that makes sense. Plus I was initially thinking Ball Python, but something about their heat sensors/pits that kinda get to me, its that trypophobia kicking in.

Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks

Carpets do have heat pits too - here’s a nice head shot of Bruce, my JCP, showing off his:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    I don't mind them on other snakes, I think it's just cause they are so visible and open on the Ball Python that gets to me lol. But still beautiful snakes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast