Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,540

5 members and 3,535 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Bringing him home?

Hello!

I have what might be a silly question. We currently don't own a BP as we are getting our supplies in and setting up before we go looking.

I have however been talking to a vet to ensure we have someone well versed in reptile care should the need arise.

I know when it comes to most other animals that you'd want to take them to an initial vet appointment when you first get them. Can the same be said of a BP? I'd hate to add on the stress of a vet after the stress of a move and scare the poor little guy, but I'm not opposed to taking him in to get a clean bill of health and meet the vet!

Thank you,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    IMO if u have a good, reputable source for obtaining your BP u wouldn't have to worry about much and can take your BP home right away. that means a breeder or seller w/ healthy animals that includes a BP w/o bubbles, wheezing (signs of respiratory infection), stuck shed or dimpled eyes (dehydration, low humidity/bad husbandry), mites (icky parasites), malnourishment (protruding spine), etc. etc.

it's good to have a Vet on dial and the funds to treat for your pet(s) tho so i'm glad you're taking the time to do it right.

Edit: also welcome to BP.net, 2017's best forum/group!
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-23-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-23-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018),Godzilla78 (02-24-2018),scallahan1 (02-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Bringing him home?

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    Hello!

I have what might be a silly question. We currently don't own a BP as we are getting our supplies in and setting up before we go looking.

I have however been talking to a vet to ensure we have someone well versed in reptile care should the need arise.

I know when it comes to most other animals that you'd want to take them to an initial vet appointment when you first get them. Can the same be said of a BP? I'd hate to add on the stress of a vet after the stress of a move and scare the poor little guy, but I'm not opposed to taking him in to get a clean bill of health and meet the vet!

Thank you,
    Not a silly question!

I agree with Ax01 though.

Good breeder = not much to worry about unless you see warning signs (being a new owner, we can help you with that ).

I drive almost 2 hours to a reptile vet that I trust and believe has my animals' best interest at heart. Important to have a good one, that is realistic about treating, and doesn't just push the most aggressive, and/or costly, treatment. One of the reasons I drive so far is that I want what's best for my animals when there isn't much I can do. I had to put my Bearded Dragon, George, down 2 years ago. He was 11 and it was his time. They helped take him out of his misery (he had developed pancreatitis) peacefully, and were very realistic about not doing surgery, etc. They agree with me on quality over quantity.

However, even good reptile vets can test for things, but do not always have a particular species as a specialty. The practice is often very broad. I always do my own research and discuss options openly with my vet. Some things that are harmful to one species, may not be as bad, or even normal in another.

As a basic example, reptiles generally have some sort of bacteria in their stomachs, even captive bred, and can test positive for that (different kinds). If it was a mammal, it could be really bad. If it's a snake, it's either normal, or likely something they can take care of on their own with proper husbandry. Many animals become susceptible to things when moved into a new home and/or environment. However, they can often fight things off with time.

Additionally, if the animal is otherwise healthy, and eating, pooping normally, etc. no action is often the best action.

You are also doing your homework and getting a good setup before the animal even arrives!

95% of reptile illnesses/problems come from poor husbandry.

Finally, it's also a bigger concern, bringing in a new snake, if you have other reptiles. Since this is your first, much less concern. Typically when a new reptile comes into the house, quarantine for 3 months and a vet visit make a lot more sense. Frankly, quarantine is pretty much mandatory.

Great you are asking all these questions, and good questions at that.

I think your new addition is going to be in great hands.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-23-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018),scallahan1 (02-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks guys!

I figured if I trusted the breeder and the quality of the care they provided it would be fine, but you know what they say about someone who assumes!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scallahan1 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018),dakski (02-23-2018)