Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

0 members and 3,322 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Introducing Neptune (BEL) Progression Thread

After painfully and unexpectedly losing our first snake, the family quickly agreed that we wanted to try again. We couldn't fill the snake-shaped hole in our hearts with any other creature.

Enter Neptune, our beautiful, bouncing, baby boy Blue Eyed Leucistic! Kiddo named him after the blue planet in honor of his pretty blue eyes.

A BEL beep is what my daughter originally wanted before I steered her to a Russian Rat, so this time we went back to Plan A. Neptune came to us from a small hobby breeder in Colorado, Reptiles with Altitude, via MorphMarket. His breeder was so proud of him and gushed endlessly about his wonderful personality (very true) and fantastic feeding response (very, very true). After looking at many others and inundating his breeder with 1000s of patiently answered questions, we knew he was “the one”.

We’ve had Neptune now for a few weeks. We let him rest and acclimate for 1 week before offering food. We’ve offered multiple times since his rest period, every 5-7 days, and he’s eaten immediately, with no hesitation. I couldn’t get rat fuzzies for his first few feedings, so had to offer mice. I was terrified this would throw him off but once my rats came in (thank you Big Cheese), he made the switch back seamlessly. What a relief, so far so good!

We are just starting short handling sessions now that he’s acclimated and has had several meals. Totally leaving him alone for the first few weeks was SO HARD, but I wanted to ensure he had time to settle and was eating well.

The deets:

•BEL: Mojave/Lesser (dad was a Pastave, mom was a Lesserbee)
    •Hatch Date: July 25, 2017
    •Current weight @ 7 months: 115 grams
    •Eating f/t fuzzy rats every 5 days

Current set-up & temps:

•15 qt sterilite tub
    •Reptile Prime substrate on order - paper towels at the moment
    •2 RBI hides - size Small
    •Hot side hide 87º-90º
    •Cool side hide 77º-80º
    •Humidity 50%-55% on avg. (raised to 65%-70% during shed, 1st week we had him)
    •Ultratherm 6X11 UTH (on Jumpstart)
    •60 watt CHE (on another Jumpstart) for ambient temps - had to fashion a holding mechanism for the CHE out of an Exo Terra lamp stand and a square glass vase of river rocks for weight, since the sterilite tub wasn’t heavy enough to mount the lamp stand to. Figured I’d make it pretty by turning the vase of rocks into a planter for live bamboo. I melted holes in the top of the tub, on his cold side, so the heat could penetrate.

NOW PICS!!

He’s a little on the small side (right?), but to me he looks healthy, well proportioned, and eats like a champion. Y’all tell me if you think otherwise, because so many others his age or even younger seem to be heavier/bigger. Also, steer me straight on my husbandry if you see anything amiss. I wanted to give as much detail as possible, so you could tell me if I’m on the wrong track.

After losing Bonsai I’m SUPER paranoid and over-protective about this little guy. Neptune is so beautiful, incredibly sweet, downright friendly even, and we really, really love him and hope he lives forever.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (02-23-2018),Ax01 (02-23-2018),Booper (03-18-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018),CALM Pythons (02-23-2018),Jus1More (02-25-2018),MissterDog (02-23-2018),Sgt7212 (04-09-2018),Starscream (02-23-2018),tttaylorrr (02-23-2018)

Thanks

Re: Introducing Neptune (BEL) Progression Thread

Sooo cute! Congratulations

4. The Following User Says Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (02-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    he looks absolutely perfect, and what lovely photos! i'm so happy to see you have another noodle in your lives. i can't wait to watch him grow!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (02-23-2018)

Thanks

Do you have a water dish? I don't see one in the picture

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
    Do you have a water dish? I don't see one in the picture
    Yes! Had just done a cage cleaning and was washing it.

Got it in blue to match his peepers - lol!

(thermostats and thermometers are all affixed to the outside of the tub...kinda looks like tape could be on the inside in the pictures, but rest assured it's not)

Last edited by hilabeans; 02-23-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018)

Thanks
    He is gorgeous! I'm still hoping that i'll be lucky enough to hatch some BELs this season!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (02-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    After painfully and unexpectedly losing our first snake, the family quickly agreed that we wanted to try again. We couldn't fill the snake-shaped hole in our hearts with any other creature.

Enter Neptune, our beautiful, bouncing, baby boy Blue Eyed Leucistic! Kiddo named him after the blue planet in honor of his pretty blue eyes.

A BEL beep is what my daughter originally wanted before I steered her to a Russian Rat, so this time we went back to Plan A. Neptune came to us from a small hobby breeder in Colorado, Reptiles with Altitude, via MorphMarket. His breeder was so proud of him and gushed endlessly about his wonderful personality (very true) and fantastic feeding response (very, very true). After looking at many others and inundating his breeder with 1000s of patiently answered questions, we knew he was “the one”.

We’ve had Neptune now for a few weeks. We let him rest and acclimate for 1 week before offering food. We’ve offered multiple times since his rest period, every 5-7 days, and he’s eaten immediately, with no hesitation. I couldn’t get rat fuzzies for his first few feedings, so had to offer mice. I was terrified this would throw him off but once my rats came in (thank you Big Cheese), he made the switch back seamlessly. What a relief, so far so good!

We are just starting short handling sessions now that he’s acclimated and has had several meals. Totally leaving him alone for the first few weeks was SO HARD, but I wanted to ensure he had time to settle and was eating well.

The deets:

•BEL: Mojave/Lesser (dad was a Pastave, mom was a Lesserbee)
    •Hatch Date: July 25, 2017
    •Current weight @ 7 months: 115 grams
    •Eating f/t fuzzy rats every 5 days

Current set-up & temps:

•15 qt sterilite tub
    •Reptile Prime substrate on order - paper towels at the moment
    •2 RBI hides - size Small
    •Hot side hide 87º-90º
    •Cool side hide 77º-80º
    •Humidity 50%-55% on avg. (raised to 65%-70% during shed, 1st week we had him)
    •Ultratherm 6X11 UTH (on Jumpstart)
    •60 watt CHE (on another Jumpstart) for ambient temps - had to fashion a holding mechanism for the CHE out of an Exo Terra lamp stand and a square glass vase of river rocks for weight, since the sterilite tub wasn’t heavy enough to mount the lamp stand to. Figured I’d make it pretty by turning the vase of rocks into a planter for live bamboo. I melted holes in the top of the tub, on his cold side, so the heat could penetrate.

NOW PICS!!

He’s a little on the small side (right?), but to me he looks healthy, well proportioned, and eats like a champion. Y’all tell me if you think otherwise, because so many others his age or even younger seem to be heavier/bigger. Also, steer me straight on my husbandry if you see anything amiss. I wanted to give as much detail as possible, so you could tell me if I’m on the wrong track.

After losing Bonsai I’m SUPER paranoid and over-protective about this little guy. Neptune is so beautiful, incredibly sweet, downright friendly even, and we really, really love him and hope he lives forever.

Awesome little guy! BEL's are at the top of my list if I ever get another BP. Albino was my first choice, hence Shayna being Albino Spider.

I am so glad you got back into snakes! I am still sorry about Bonsai, but you did everything you could for him, and I know you are going to make fantastic parents for Neptune!

Love, love, love, the contrast of the white on blue, and oh, those blue eyes!

Keep us in the loop and good luck with him!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (02-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    He is gorgeous! I'm still hoping that i'll be lucky enough to hatch some BELs this season!
    Oooh, I hope you do! I actually have video of my little guy coming out of the egg from his breeder. They were so excited to hatch their first BEL.

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I am so glad you got back into snakes! I am still sorry about Bonsai, but you did everything you could for him, and I know you are going to make fantastic parents for Neptune!
    Thanks dakski. I still get a lump in my throat thinking about him. But it is healing being able to direct that love to somebody new.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 02-23-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

Goats:

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018),dakski (02-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

congrats on the beautiful new boy. i was wondering when we would see him after noticing the update in your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Oooh, I hope you do! I actually have video of my little guy coming out of the egg from his breeder. They were so excited to hatch their first BEL.
    OMG u need to share that! sounds super cute!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (02-23-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Great Choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (02-23-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast