Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,884

0 members and 1,884 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

ball python owners

What is it like to own a ball python? Are ball pythons loyal and do they eventually develop friendship with their owner? How often do ball python owners take them out and hold them, and for how long? Is owning a ball like owning a pet dog in companionship?

BTW A Petco store said it had a 4-5 month old ball, how is that?

Thanks

Re: ball python owners

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bombay
    What is it like to own a ball python? Are ball pythons loyal and do they eventually develop friendship with their owner? How often do ball python owners take them out and hold them, and for how long? Is owning a ball like owning a pet dog in companionship?

BTW A Petco store said it had a 4-5 month old ball, how is that?

BPs are in know way like a dog, snakes do not like us they do not become our friends, they only tolerate us, some better than others. BPs are a funny snake and one of the most shy in the pet trade. I have a few that I can hold all the time and it never stress's out to bad (they always get a little stressed) but I have one that cant be held at all (other than for cage cleanings) or he will go off feed.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Petco is not our favorite place. They may try to tell you that their snakes are captive bred, but they're not. They are eggs harvested from the wild or from wild caught females. Either way not good. I was very lucky with mine, but I would highly recommend finding a local breeder and purchasing from them. Make sure they are well regarded from others as well. The most important thing is obtaining a healthy animal, well besides the environment you put it into. Finding a healthy bp will make your first experience with them SO much easier. Not having to worry about mites, ticks, and other various infestations is a major relief.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

bp's are all different. i have some that hiss, some hiss and strike, some have never hissed or struck. in general they are really relaxed and can be held easily. buying a healthy captive bred snake is your best start and the cheapest in the long run. one vet visit with a sick snake can cost you!

vaughn

Thanks

Has anyone had any luck calming down a bp that has struck and hissed? I have one that does some of that, and I just wish she would calm down.

Thanks

If she's young, then you should have no problem taming her. Just work with her by gentle handling for short sessions. Be patient, and don't freak out if she hisses/strikes. Leave her alone when she's in shed, when she's eating, and for 48 hours post feed.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure how old she is, but she is about 2 ft long

Thanks

Just work with her. You will probably make at least some progress. She is afraid of you, you have to gain her trust.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Gordon, if you want a highly interactive pet that loves to be handled a ball python (or any other snake really) just isn't the pet to get, at least in my humble opinion. I don't believe they "enjoy" being handled as a dog might do....they just learn to tolerate it, some more than others. Sure I have some that don't seem to mind at all being out with us, and I also have one big female that is mean as mean can be.

This doesn't mean they just sit in their enclosures like a lump. They are fascinating creatures in their own very subtle ways but for us anyways, it's about what the snake needs not what we want. In other words, the snakes each set the limit on what they specifically will tolerate or when it's appropriate to handle them.

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griggs2121
    Has anyone had any luck calming down a bp that has struck and hissed? I have one that does some of that, and I just wish she would calm down.
    i am working on a snake like that now. when i first got her she was mean as the devil! i think a lot of it was fear and defensiveness on her part. i implemented the filling her tub with newspaper balls trick and limited contact to once a week cleaning/water change/feed attempt all on the same day each week. over the last few months she has calmed down greatly and i actually handled her a few days ago without being struck at or hissed at. it sounds like you might not need to go quite that far to calm your bp--maybe just fill her enclosure with newspaper to add to her security and have several very short handling sessions each week. i bet she will calm down for you eventually, sometimes it just takes a little more work than normal.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast