Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

1 members and 3,153 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tub Set-Up

Thanks

New Tub Set-Up

I am creating my first ball python enclosure this week, and have been searching this forum up and down for opinions and advice on keeping balls in tubs. I am picking up the snake Sunday, but here's my dilemma; the seller is also selling me a thermostat since they had an extra and they have always found the brand to work wonderfully. I will have the tub, thermometers, hides, uth, etc by Saturday, but I have a few questions about how to make this transition as seamless as possible for her since it will not have been completely set up and running with the thermostat..also, just a few general husbandry questions. Thanks for any info you can provide!!

-How many holes/how big/how far apart should I melt in the tub for adequate air flow?
    -should I avoid testing the heat pad before I have the thermostat, in the event it could melt the plastic?
    -How can I ensure that the ambient temperature is appropriate with a plastic tub, since I can't use a heat lamp? Increasing the temp of the entire room is not an option.
    -I am planning on using newspaper for a substrate due to ease of cleaning. How often should it be changed, and if I must mist the tub to maintain humidity is this a poor choice of substrate?
    -how far above the surface of whatever the tub is sitting on should the heat pad be? I don't want it to ruin the desk I am planning on keeping her on. Also, any suggestions as far as feet go for attaching to the tub to lift it up? I heard bottle caps somewhere but that doesn't seem like much space

Ok, I guess most of those didn't have much to do with the late arrival of the thermostat. Still, I'm big on planning everything ahead so that part is giving me a bit of anxiety. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purpleroan For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-24-2018),Virago (02-25-2018)

Thanks

Re: New Tub Set-Up

Hey congrats on your first BP, I got mine almost 3 month ago an also went the tub route. the people here have helped me a ton. I am by no means an expert or very experienced but ive studied a ton before getting mine and have learned alot from the people here an so far i am having alot of success.
    First of all i suggest holding off on getting your BP untill you have success keeping temps and humidity up in the tub without the snake. I did an it allowed me to work out the errors before putting in a live animal. Do a 2 day test run.
    1. I dont think it matters how big the holes are as long as the snake cant fit through. i put a bunch of holes about 3-4mm wide around the upper portion of the tub, about half inch to an inch apart. sand off the residential plastic.
    2. i wouldn't leave the heat pad running without a thermostat, i guess just to see if it works first, but dont leave it running, no real point.
    3. Sure you can use a heat lamp, just keep the CHE a foot or more away from the lid an regulate with a thermostat, the heat will penetrate the lid without melting it. I use a 150w CHE.
    4. I dont use paper so i wont speak on it. I do use cypress chips an i dont think ill switch to anything else. Kinda pricey but spot cleaning is easy. It soaks up the pee so my girl is sitting in a peepee puddle. An ive found it to be easy to keep humidity in my dry room. i spot clean every day and 100% clean everything once a month.
    5. Not sure, mine is on a wood desk an up less than a bottle caps height an its been fine. think youll be good with bottle caps, good idea i might do that lol.

Again im not an expert an i hope someone will correct me if i said anything wrong.
    Do a test run for at least 2 days, temps are very important. I did an i glad i did because i had problems lol. good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Virago For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (02-24-2018)

Thanks

You can use Legos to raise up the tub. The best part about Legos is you can adjust the height to your liking

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (02-24-2018),Sunnieskys (02-25-2018),Virago (02-25-2018)

Thanks

Thanks so much! Is there any harm though in putting the thermostat probe on top of the uth but in the tub, so theres a layer of plastic between it? I figure it wouldn't make a difference, or might even be more accurate since it's closer to where the snake will actually be, no?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purpleroan View Post
    Thanks so much! Is there any harm though in putting the thermostat probe on top of the uth but in the tub, so theres a layer of plastic between it? I figure it wouldn't make a difference, or might even be more accurate since it's closer to where the snake will actually be, no?
    Putting the probe in the enclosure isn't a good idea. If the snake moves it or poos on it, the uth will think its cold and heat up to much

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (02-25-2018),Virago (02-25-2018)

Thanks

What C0r3y0s3 said, the snake will move it/pee or poo on it. Put the thermostat probe between the UTH and the tub. It is the safest way possible to accurately regulate your heat mat. Then put a thermometer probe in the tub under the substrate to see what the real temp is on the inside.

I did put the thermostat probe inside my tub for one day an went to work. when i got back the temp was almost 100°! luckily it was only one day and she wasn't directly on the plastic.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virago For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-25-2018),purpleroan (02-25-2018)

Thanks

An you may need to set the thermostat higher than you actually want the temps to be on the inside.
    For example I have my thermostat set to 95° and the thermometer inside the tub reads between 89-91°.
    Last edited by Virago; 02-25-2018 at 12:28 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virago For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-25-2018),purpleroan (02-25-2018)

Thanks
    Ah, that makes so much sense! Thanks guys! Just have to figure out how to gingerly unstick my uth since I jumped the gun a bit.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to purpleroan For This Useful Post:

Virago (02-26-2018)

Thanks

you can just pull it off. it will loose its stickyness but you can use metal foil tape to stick it back on.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Virago For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (02-26-2018)

Thanks

I have a glass tank, but is a UTH ok to use on plastic tubs or acrylic? I’m guessing with the use of a thermostat, it wouldn’t get hot enough to melt the plastic, just wanting to verify, in case I ever go the more economical route and use plastic tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons
    0.1 Spinner -“Cuddle Bug”
    0.1 Banana YB - “Chiquita Bonita”
    0.1 Super Lesser BEL - “Daenerys - Mother of Dragons”
    1.0 Pastel Highway - “Lt. Pete ‘Maverick’ Mitchell

1.0 Super Citrus Bearded Dragon hopefully shipping mid-March, name pending.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast