Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,586

2 members and 1,584 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Got off on the wrong foot

Probably best to wait for the digital temp gun to arrive and then you can check the warm side surface temps and we can all , including you , relax

For what it's worth ... I love the white tubing 'hiding' the wires but it's true that your snake will probably end up climbing all over it ...that said you could supplement the climbing equipment by getting some nice looking branches from the local woods / park .... it would all blend in then and look more natural , whilst providing an interesting habitat . Also get some fake silk/ plastic plants from a dollar-store as they look amazing if set out nice ..

Oddly enough I myself ALSO started out here on the wrong foot and had to start a new thread apologising and explaining myself . I didn't actually 'upset' anyone per se just got everyone's back up by dissing LIVE feeding ..
    I quickly learnt how to 'moderate' my views and here I am years later and thousands of posts down the line ..

Everything will turn out fine !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-24-2018 at 04:10 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2018),jonny65or9 (02-24-2018),Starscream (02-24-2018)

Thanks

Re: Got off on the wrong foot

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Probably best to wait for the digital temp gun to arrive and then you can check the warm side surface temps and we can all , including you , relax

For what it's worth ... I love the white tubing 'hiding' the wires but it's true that your snake will probably end up climbing all over it ...that said you could supplement the climbing equipment by getting some nice looking branches from the local woods / park .... it would all blend in then and look more natural , whilst providing an interesting habitat . Also get some fake silk/ plastic plants from a dollar-store as they look amazing if set out nice ..

Oddly enough I myself ALSO started out here on the wrong foot and had to start a new thread apologising and explaining myself . I didn't actually 'upset' anyone per se just got everyone's back up by dissing LIVE feeding ..
    I quickly learnt how to 'moderate' my views and here I am years later and thousands of posts down the line ..

I plan on setting up the inside nice for him. Just wanted to dial in the temps first. And about live feeding is that not the rite thing to do because thats all ive ever done. We get some really cool drift wool that comes down the delewear i was going to deck it out with moss and vines

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny65or9 View Post
    I plan on setting up the inside nice for him. Just wanted to dial in the temps first. And about live feeding is that not the rite thing to do because thats all ive ever done. We get some really cool drift wool that comes down the delewear i was going to deck it out with moss and vines

Live feeding is fine, it just comes with a risk. I only feed live and I have for years. There's a chance that a snake can get injured by being bitten. There's also a chance of contracting a disease or parasites that the freezing process will kill most of the time

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2018),jonny65or9 (02-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
    Live feeding is fine, it just comes with a risk. I only feed live and I have for years. There's a chance that a snake can get injured by being bitten. There's also a chance of contracting a disease or parasites that the freezing process will kill most of the time
    Got you , How often do you feed

Thanks

Got you , How often do you feed

My bp's and corn eat every Sunday and my boa once a month. I feed a slightly smaller than recommended rat, but 2 per feeding. I do that to lessen the risk of injuries and I figure it's easier on the snake for both constricting and swallowing

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-24-2018),jonny65or9 (02-24-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Got off on the wrong foot

Quote Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
    My bp's and corn eat every Sunday and my boa once a month. I feed a slightly smaller than recommended rat, but 2 per feeding. I do that to lessen the risk of injuries and I figure it's easier on the snake for both constricting and swallowing
    I 2nd this.. If feeding live Rat the younger ones are leas likely to hurt the snake. A small/Med adult Rat has fight in them and Very big teeth.. I go with younger ones and feed 2 or feed more often if she wants it.
    Most of the time I feed fresh Kill.. But there are time some snakes get finicky. I one that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 02-24-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Everyone has an opinion on feeding live versus pre-killed or Frozen Thawed (F/T).

It's a combination of personal preference, and what the snake will take.

No judgement here. I feed only F/T. I have a BP who ate F/T from near birth and readily accepts it, as do my other snakes. BP's can be pickier than other snakes about eating F/T, which is why I got Shayna after she had already taken F/T meals.

The reason I feed F/T is four fold.

1. Safer for the snake (no risk of bites or scratches from the rodent and lower risk of disease transmission).
    2. More humane for the rodent, in my opinion. Again, no judgement, I know it happens in nature, and others feed live, I just can't stomach it myself.
    3. Cheaper and more readily available supply.
    4. If a snake doesn't eat for a meal (which BP's often do), I do not have to deal with a live rodent for a while, but instead can just chuck a F/T rodent.

There are many threads on here about switching a snake from live to F/T, if you are interested. You can also ask. Just know it is a hot topic, as it has been eluded to, and everyone a) has an opinion and b) many feel strongly about it.

Separately, did you temp gun arrive yet? Any word on temps?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-24-2018),dkatz4 (02-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Live can be fine as stated above. I can't do live...

also frozen saves on the wallet since you can buy in bulk. I buy bulk every six months for $35 for small rats. Saves me time and money. And I can't watch or hear a live rat.....I just can't. I'm a sap..
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-24-2018),dakski (02-24-2018),jonny65or9 (02-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

Temp gun came 115 on the top of his warm side hide but 92 on the floor where he/she roams the tank 75 on the cool side. The top of rhe hid i closer to the che. Should i not consern myself with that temp on toap. Now i want to run a thermostat probe inside the hide and see what the temp is in there

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    You dont want any surface your animal can touch over 95 degrees max.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-24-2018),dakski (02-24-2018),Godzilla78 (02-24-2018),MissterDog (02-24-2018)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast