Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

1 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Back Again. Advice on thought process.

Hi all. As some of you know, I had a real issue getting my female hognose to start feeding. Since she started last May, she went from roughly 6 grams to 130 as of January 9th of this year. She turns two in July.
    Since she was growing at an exponential rate, I moved her from an 18qt tub to a 32qt at the end of November. Ambients stayed the same ranging from 73 on the coldest nights but usually stayed around 75-78. She is provided a hotspot using a UTH that usually is between 90-94 depending on how the tub sits on the UTH in that particular area. Both in the 18qt and 32qt she had at least two inches of substrate to burrow. I would say she is roughly between 22-24 inches based on her stretched out in her tub.
    This may be too much information but I am going to post her feeding logs of December and January because it may help with advice given.
    She has not eaten since January 16th. Her usual meal was two fuzzies and sometimes I would offer a hopper. She would take hoppers but not with the consistency that she took the two fuzzies which is why I stuck with them for as long as I did. Now she rejects everything.
    Remembering Deborah's advice on smaller enclosures, I moved her back into the 18qt this Monday with the exact same setup she was used to when she was feeding consistently. Based on the feeding logs, I would like to know if this was the right move and what I should do going forward if she does not eat when I offer this weekend.

December Feedings 32qt tub:
    2nd: two Fuzzies
    8th: Hopper
    14th: Hopper
    31st: One fuzzy

January:
    6th: Two Fuzzies
    11th: One fuzzy
    16th: Two Fuzzies
    Has not fed since.

One interesting note is that, although she ate a lot between October 21st (her last shed), she has not shed since. I've checked the Aspen and didn't find anything and I have not seen her in blue. I initially thought that she might be going into shed but, since that hasn't happened in over a month, I don't think that is the case. I also have her going from 87g on October 14th (week prior to shed) to 130g on January 9th without shedding which i think is unusual. Her activity has also not changed during this time.

I apologize for the long thread but I wanted to give as much info as possible and always appreciate the advice of the members on here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cron14 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Re: Back Again. Advice on thought process.

I’m not a hoggie expert, but if she doesn’t eat this weekend I’d give her another week in the smaller tub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

cron14 (02-22-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hi cron14... I'm just starting out with a Hognose, although mine is a baby. I read that the size of the enclosure really has affect on these types of snake and state smaller is better. I'm no expert, but maybe Deborah will chime in soon with her opinion... I have my little guy in a 6qt right now, so hopefully he continues to eat like a champ!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

cron14 (03-07-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First at that wait I would not be overly concerned, while female rarely do go off feed, exceptions do happen. I have been fortunate that any females I have ever had past and present have always been eating year round well except when being cooled.

Remember like many other species they are sensitive to temperature drops and low pressure.
    The things I would try to do is get the temp up on the cool side over 80 if you can, aside from that it’s gonna be a matter of patience.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cron14 (03-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    First at that wait I would not be overly concerned, while female rarely do go off feed, exceptions do happen. I have been fortunate that any females I have ever had past and present have always been eating year round well except when being cooled.

Remember like many other species they are sensitive to temperature drops and low pressure.
    The things I would try to do is get the temp up on the cool side over 80 if you can, aside from that it’s gonna be a matter of patience.
    After giving her a couple days to adjust to the smaller tub, she took two fuzzies for me. I’m gonna have her on hoppers from now on. I think she started the shedding process this past weekend so she may not eat for a little bit.
    I always get concerned when she doesn’t eat for an extended period of time because of how much trouble it was to get her to start. Since I’ve posted a million threads on her, I think I have enough info to cover all the bases now lol. Thank you for all your help and everyone else who has given me advice!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cron14 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-07-2018)