Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,151

0 members and 3,151 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: THUNDER... feel tha THUNDER... My snakes name is THUNDER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Hey daksi. Good memory, I am the discus guy lol!

notning has been down to 73 thankfully. Not sure if I said that if I did it was a typo. It was around 75 a bit but that was only day 1-2 and I adjusted things and it’s been a solid 77-79 ambient and cool side with my hot spot 90.

He was due for a feed the day he shipped so that was skipped and he was a solid weekly feeder for the breeder. So I’m worried about making him wait two weeks and really taking him off feed.

Are you suggesting waititng until he’s out of the hide and active to then try and simulate life by wiggling the rat and getting him to strike ?
    Okay, cool, I misread, a typo, or you have since corrected. Sounds like temps are dead on. Awesome!

I had the flu, followed by a 2 week cough, and then got a stomach bug this weekend(and still have the cough). I am not 100%, sorry.

For what's it worth, if you kept discus successfully, reptiles are going to seem easy! You are going to do great!

Regarding feeding, I will post in a second, something a wrote from another thread, about defrosting properly.

Most BP's want their heat pits to get excited (so warm prey - I'll explain in the next post) and want a little movement.

My Shayna is a weirdo. She only strikes, 1/15 times. More when she was younger, but still, she's very shy. She wants me to shake, and if she doesn't strike immediately, I put down and walk away. She, if not fasting, usually eats right away. She will pull into her hide and want to eat alone. I give her space.

Most BP's, especially if they have eaten live, want some action. Not to the point of scaring them/hitting them in the head, etc. Just a little movement. USE TONGS!

I think your guy should eat. If not though, do not worry, and wait until next week.

If he doesn't take right away, but seems interested, I would leave the mouse near his hide/him for a little bit (an hour or two) and he might take it. I would also feed at night in near darkness. You will probably get a better food response.

Thanks

As promised, how to properly defrost a rodent. People have different approaches and techniques. This is what I do. I "only" have 3 snakes, so this works well for me.

I copied from another post and it's all in bold, ugh. Sorry.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey for when ROE is bigger and eating Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside.

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. Open tank and offer ASAP.

Thanks

Did Thunder eat? I want to know!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Did Thunder eat? I want to know!
    YES!!! he ate!!! I am so happy and releived !

thanks for your help and interest as well it is much appreciated.

I went with the drop and run method lol. I waited until I was about to pass out and I know he gets very active. Lights went out. Mouse went in. Gave him his privacy and mouse was gone when I woke up around 430 this am

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-26-2018),dakski (02-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    As promised, how to properly defrost a rodent. People have different approaches and techniques. This is what I do. I "only" have 3 snakes, so this works well for me.

I copied from another post and it's all in bold, ugh. Sorry.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey for when ROE is bigger and eating Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside.

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. Open tank and offer ASAP.
    Interesting regime ... once they are thawed you can simply give the mouse / rat a ten second blast with hairdryer and offer INSTANTLY on tongs ..

Most of mine only strike from their hides so I dangle it in front of the entrance... BAM !

Always feed in the evenings ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Here is an updated look at his set up since the initial pics I posted were with that darn background that gave me nothing but trouble. That has since been removed and replaced with plants all around
    And I got him this tall tree stump thing that he seems to love to climb all over and bake on. I caught him this am being all king of the castle before he went back to his cool hide to chill. It was fun watching him for sure. Sorry in advance for the glare in some pics. I tried my best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-27-2018),Godzilla78 (03-10-2018),Starscream (02-27-2018)

Thanks

If that’s an aquarium decor that he’s perched on, be careful with the holes on the bottom of it...this is from personal experience with both my Banana ball and my Pastel Enchi...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thank you... I saw you post in another thread this am and now I’m worried !!

i guess that’s why there is an isle for fish and reptiles.

I guess ill need to keep keep an eye on it or just remove it

im striking out hardcore with decor !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

you can use great stuff foam to fill in the holes, but you'll have to let it air out for a while until there are no more fumes.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks

Well here’s the thing lol that tree WAS IN THE REPTILE isle 🤣 but yea just fill it to be on the safe side lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast