Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

2 members and 2,856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

THUNDER... feel tha THUNDER... My snakes name is THUNDER!!!

Lololol... sorry for the cheesy title. But I just had to. Since the name came about a few weeks ago once I chose my guy that song seems to play non stop and that’s how I sing it now... haha

Anyways. I wanted to intro the forum to my newest snake and first ball python... THUNDER. He is a cinnamon banana morph by way of Kicks Balls and Fred Kick. Before I even get into thunder I have to tell everyone about my experience with Fred. I got the snake bug and started to research and joined here. I saw that there were two local NY shows near me. One that just passed which I couldn’t attend and another coming up next month. I did the google search and ran through some breeders across the country. I scanned a vendor list and I saw the name Kicks Balls. I mean too funny not to click especially since they were in NY and attending both shows. Then I go to the website which has the most amazing logo of a sneaker w a python subbed out for the swoosh. I’m a sneaker (kick) guy myself so it seemed like a match made in snake heaven. As if that wasn’t enough. I saw a number that said text or call so I shot a text figuring I’d get a basic answer or told to order online. Instead, I made a friend. Fred will probably tell you I’m a pain in the ass, cause I am, but he never showed it. We exchanged multiple texts pretty much every day since and he never once shied away from my questions or was short with me. Even after I paid for my snake 2 weeks ago, he was still there. He had my money and could have easily went MIA but nope. Every dumb question I had he answered and then some. So I have to saw what a true pleasure !!!

On to Thunder.... he showed up today in amazing condition. He was literally poking at the bag to get out. I have watched a lot of unboxing videos online and they all seem to be balled. This guy was allll over. The heat pack was warm he was packaged perfectly. I had him shipped to my local fed ex center and he was there by 845 am.

I made the mistake of giving the exoterra 3D background a shot. He got back there right away. So I ran out and grabbed some plants to create a barrier. If he still works his way back there it’s coming out. He’s been all over the enclosure today. I was joking that he’s like the first person in the Real World houses who goes to every room to pick the best one. It was like he was test driving every spot. Hot hide check. Cold hide check. All over the back ground and behind as mentioned. I guess he needs to get to know his new home and settle.

Temps humidity and enclosure seem to all be doing well. And I’m going to keep a close eye on him as he gets settled in. Thanks for looking and I’ll keep posting !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

DLena (02-25-2018),Finn0208 (02-20-2018),richardhind1972 (02-20-2018)

Thanks

Re: THUNDER... feel tha THUNDER... My snakes name is THUNDER!!!

I would jam a ruler in between the background and the tank to prevent him from getting back there.

Thanks

That’s a great idea MD thanks for the tip. I really filled it in with the plants and created almost a screen so to speak and it looks rather nice to my eye at least. We shall see. If not I may just pull it out all together.

Thanks

So Thunder has been quite the explorer and I know it’s early on but at first I thought maybe he was just active or a climber but now I am feeling like maybe something else is going on.

I ended up removing the background it was always going to be an issue and he was dead set on getting back there. I took it out and auctioned some plants all along the back that he has been in and seems to enjoy.

I do notice him climbing higher and hanging near the heat lamp. My under heater reads 91 and same on my temp gun.

Is it possible he’s looking for heat and can’t or hasn’t found the hot spot? I know snakes can sense heat so it should be easy for him to find right ? I have a UTH that’s at least a third of the tank on the far left with a hide over a good portion of it and some exposed if he wanted the under belly out of the hide. Then there is middle ground and a hide on the cool side.

When I first got him he literally went in and out of each hide and climbed all around. Yet he seems to prefer resting buried in the trees towards the top by the light.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Well, since you’ve only just got him I would say a lot of roaming is to be expected. He will probably be quite stressed from the move and he’s in a new place with new smells so he will want to check everything out to make sure he is safe in there. My BP, Ramen, took about 5 days to calm down completely, and I mostly just tried to stay out of his way so I didn’t stress him more. Just keep an eye on your temperatures and humidity, to make sure that isn’t what is stressing him out. Also, are you regulating your heat sources with thermostats?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Raptor10457 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-23-2018)

Thanks
    Hey thanks raptor! That makes me feel a bit better.

Yes of course all is regulated. Not to knock anyone but I feel I went about this as careful and educated as I possibly could. Other than taking a glass exoterra from a friend that he never used which put me on to snakes to start because I really want a pvc type cage. I think all else I did rather well or based on things I read here and my research.

UTH is on one therm and the lamp on another. UTH is about 90. Ambient temp ranges from 76-80. Areas under the lamp get to mid 80s and the cool side is about 74-75. Humidity has been 50-60. Still playing with that and may need to add more water to my rep chip and mix to hold better humidity. I was worried because my apt can get warmer and a tad humid so I figured it’s always best to add water and increase then try and decrease once the substrate is too wet.

I guess i just need to let him chill he’s new to me I am new to him. He needs to settle in and find his places and I just need to do as you say and give him space. Also w the background mishaps yesterday I had to handle him and move him more than I wanted to or should have. I was being stubborn and so was he and finally I said you won and pulled it out.

Thanks again

Thanks

Great, it sounds like you’re fine then! And I just wanted to check since people will sadly often just throw a heat mat under their viv and think that’s that. The cool side could be a couple of degrees warmer (I think 77-80 is the recommendation but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) but other than that it sounds like you’re doing a good job of making sure Thunder is comfortable and well looked after

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post

I made the mistake of giving the exoterra 3D background a shot. He got back there right away. So I ran out and grabbed some plants to create a barrier. If he still works his way back there it’s coming out. He’s been all over the enclosure today. I was joking that he’s like the first person in the Real World houses who goes to every room to pick the best one. It was like he was test driving every spot. Hot hide check. Cold hide check. All over the back ground and behind as mentioned. I guess he needs to get to know his new home and settle.

Great looking display. Im not familiar with Backgrounds except for the paper ones on fish tanks so not sure what yours is made of BUT, I use DAP Kitchen and Bath Clear silicone on any hole that needs to be filled where I an wires or wires that need to be tacked down to wall/floor so snake cant get behind them. Sometimes I use tape on the wires until the silicone dries then remove the tape and put the snakes back in. I can clean the enclosure without it effecting it too. Thats would be something to consider using so he cant get behind it. Its great in multiple coats... Tuff Rubbery stuff and wont hurt the snakes.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    lol i was totally singing that song while reading your thread title.

congrats! welcome to the Banana Cinny club!

i love his flames, the blushing coming up from the belly between the side pattern. u got a good one.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Thanks yea I really wanted to make sure I covered my basses. I’m an aquarium guy gone the reptile route so I make sure my animals get the best care someone can give and I’m always learning and trying to improve and grow.

I hear so so many mixed feelings on temps I have bumped it a few degrees and I’m still playing with probe position light height and all that to get to right. It’s barely been two days so we are both getting used to one another but I guess that’s part of the fun right ??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast