Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

2 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Heat mat placement

I recently got a ball python and when I was setting up his tank it said on the package and instructions that it's better to put it on the side of the tank rather than underneath it, so I did. But now I'm worried the tank's not warm enough, not that the heat mats not warm enough, but it's not making the hot side of the tank as hot as it should.
    So what I'm asking is, is it okay to put the heat mat on one side or is it better if I move it to the bottom of the tank?

Thanks

Re: Heat mat placement

I prefer underneath for belly heat.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    The under-tank heater goes.... under the tank. The probe for the thermostat to regulate it so it doesn't get hot enough to burn your snake should be sandwiched between the heat mat and the glass.

If you do not have a thermostat then go get one, noting that a thermostat is a different appliance than a thermometer.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-20-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (02-20-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-21-2018)

Thanks
    UTA's (Under Tank Heaters) Are supposed to be placed as their name suggests. I find that they are more useful for belly heat than ambiance, so I would recommend moving it to the bottom of the tank.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Ah, alright. I'll try to move it. The instructions for it says that it's preferred to be on the side, rather than underneath, so I thought it would work just as well, but when I came home from work last night he was just curled up against the side with the heat mat, so I think the rest of the tank is too cold for him.
    Can I take the pad off and it's still sticky to put it somewhere else? Also, should I get a heat lamp? I know ball pythons prefer belly heat since they hide a lot and are noctournal, but would a ceramic heat bulb be good for the hot side?

Thanks

The heat bulb would be more for ambient heat although mine like to bask every once in a while. You need a thermostat and a thermometer / hygrometer. The lamp can also help with humidity

Thanks

I also recommend a second hide for the cool side with the water dish in between

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
    I also recommend a second hide for the cool side with the water dish in between
    Yeah, I do have a cool side and two hides! I'm just worried about the hot side being the right tempature. I also just got him so I'm scared I'll stress him out by moving him out and placing the heat mat in the right spot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robolover View Post
    Yeah, I do have a cool side and two hides! I'm just worried about the hot side being the right temperature. I also just got him so I'm scared I'll stress him out by moving him out and placing the heat mat in the right spot.
    Do you have a thermometer on both sides keeping track of the ambiance? It may seem overkill to some, but it definitely helps keep peace of mind that everything inside is fine and well.

The more silent you become, the more you are able to hear...

​1.0 Super Cinny Banana Het Ghost BP - "Churro"
    1.0 Mack Snow Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robolover View Post
    Ah, alright. I'll try to move it. The instructions for it says that it's preferred to be on the side, rather than underneath, so I thought it would work just as well, but when I came home from work last night he was just curled up against the side with the heat mat, so I think the rest of the tank is too cold for him.
    Can I take the pad off and it's still sticky to put it somewhere else? Also, should I get a heat lamp? I know ball pythons prefer belly heat since they hide a lot and are noctournal, but would a ceramic heat bulb be good for the hot side?
    I'd just keep to the heat mat to be honest .. as others have said it goes under the tank ( has to be regulated by a thermostat though !) ..

As regards your question about re-using the sticky heat mat ... I've done it many times .. it can be a little tricky easing it off the glass but if you're firm and gentle they do peel off gradually.

It can then be stuck under one end of the viv. If it's not sticky it doesn't really matter as it's not going anywhere..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast