Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,079

0 members and 3,079 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

live feeding techniques

hey all, so mr. fred is still being picky on feeding and i was wondering if there is a technique that seems to work for others when feeding live rats. my techniques in the past have consisted of putting the rat in a small carrier on top of the cage for a while then removing one hide and water dish and then dropping rat into cage and watch, ive also tired setting carrier inside cage for a while, remove same items and when fred pokes his head out i release the rat and watch, removing only a hide with same scenting technique, removing all hides and bowl with same scenting . . . . anyways, all these methods have come with varying degrees of success. i have not yet found a technique that he prefers and was curious if ya'll had some ideas.

thanks

Chappy
    1.0 -- '17 Normal -- Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I just wait until they are plenty hungry. 7-14 days for adults. Then leave the rat in its box, nearby the snake for a little while, so the snake catches the scent. Then i open the enclosure and drop the rat in there as quickly as possible, so i dont get bit! My snakes eat thawed rats like clockwork, if i gave then live they would strike it before it hit the floor!

what are your temps? I had a snake fast on me, and it turned out the ambient temperature was too low. Now that i have their temps all perfect, they all eat like clockwork
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-19-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Never remove hides ever. Hides are places of security and cover. Removing them increases stress and levels of insecurity. What time of day are you attempting to feed? Ball pythons are nocturnal hunters so during the day and even into evening might not be the opportune time. Personally I would never drop a rat into a cage to allow it to roam free in any non venomous snake. My preferred method would be to prekill the rodent right before offering but some people are not capable of dispatching prey so I would not offer until your snake starts to exit his hide and then only dangle the prey in front of him, never drop it suddenly. That's me and it might not work for you. I also no longer feed live for convenience (can't find live rodents near me) and safety (too many time snakes get hurt with larger prey).

Is there a reason you are still needing to feed live prey? Does your snake not accept frozen thaw or prekilled? That can happen and no judgement on you just trying to understand the necessity for feeding live prey.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Trisnake (02-19-2018)

Thanks
    Don’t remove the hides, it stresses the snake and scares it rather than entices it to eat. Make sure your temperatures and humidity are correct and that heat sources are regulated by thermostat. Assuming your husbandry is on point, it may be the way you are heating or presenting the prey item. Does your snake poke his head out of/exit his hide or show any interest when you leave the rat carrier near him?

Frozen thawed prey is safer and more convenient to feed than live, if your snake will accept it. I would recommend it over live feedings, for those reasons.

Thanks

Re: live feeding techniques

I guess I’m lucky (so far). Tyrion starts inching his nose out of the hide as soon as I enter the room with the rat in the brown paper bag. By the time I have weighed the bag and rat (later subtracting the empty bag weight to get the rat weight - I’m a bit obsessive lol) he is practically at the glass with his snoot! I use forceps and put the rats face in front of his, and he strikes after about 1 sec. I don’t drop the live rat in there, and if he’s not interested (which hasn’t been an issue yet), I’d remove the rat and put it bag in the bag on top of his cage and try again in about 15 minutes, based on his interest.

I’d say “Don’t remove any hides!” But it’s already been said lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------------
    Regards,
    Shawn

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Het Stripe Piebald "Tyrion" (2017) Dragon Herp (Los Angeles)

Kingsnakes
    ​0.0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (BHB Waitlist)

Felines
    0.1 Calico "Abby" (2009)
    0.1 Brown Tabby "Ziva" (2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sparky767 View Post
    I guess I’m lucky (so far). Tyrion starts inching his nose out of the hide as soon as I enter the room with the rat in the brown paper bag. By the time I have weighed the bag and rat (later subtracting the empty bag weight to get the rat weight - I’m a bit obsessive lol) he is practically at the glass with his snoot! I use forceps and put the rats face in front of his, and he strikes after about 1 sec. I don’t drop the live rat in there, and if he’s not interested (which hasn’t been an issue yet), I’d remove the rat and put it bag in the bag on top of his cage and try again in about 15 minutes, based on his interest.

I’d say “Don’t remove any hides!” But it’s already been said lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is a brown paper bag secure enough to hold a live rat !?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

The place I get mine from double bags but anything bigger than a hopper gets a box. I have had a hopper make it through the first bag on the way home so I wouldn't suggest it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-19-2018),Zincubus (02-20-2018)

Thanks
    sorry for the absence. thank you all for the replies, my temps stay in the mid to high 70's on the "cool" side and mid to high 80's on the hot side with a humidity around 50-60%.

as far as fresh killed, i have tried it and it has never worked for me. again, i dont know if im not presenting well or what.

the reason for feeding live is, that is what works more often than not and i can return a live rat to my supplier in exchange for a card which i can come back later and use to get another rat.

and finally the reason for removing hides is because the rats tend to run in them and stay there and im just trying to make it easier for the snake to eat
    Last edited by Chappy4o; 03-07-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    1.0 -- '17 Normal -- Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post

Considering they are more than capable of eating through a standard plastic mortar mixing tub, I would say no lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-07-2018),Godzilla78 (03-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Considering they are more than capable of eating through a standard plastic mortar mixing tub, I would say no lol
    That's why I was shocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-07-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast