Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

2 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Collection Update

I haven't been on her in a long time and a lot has changed....I moved out of my mom's house to live with my SO, and she had to leave her trailer because the roof was collapsing (which is also why I left when I did, otherwise I would have waited longer). I wanted to leave my snakes with my mom because our current roommate is uncomfortable with snakes, and we don't have much room for them. This worked for a few months, until I learned that not only did my mom let Crona (anery motley boa constrictor) escape - she found him quickly, but put him in Homura's tub (hypo BRB) and Homura is now gone. Whether he ate her, or she escaped, I have no clue. He had a large bulge when I saw him and he was the only one to defecate when I was finally able to bring some of the snakes to the trailer.

I realized I had to do something once I saw Homura was gone, and after my mom told me she wouldn't feed or water my snakes. I was feeding and watering them until my car broke down, and it wasn't until ~2-2.5 months later my mom texts me out of the blue that she hadn't been feeding or watering them and wouldn't do it in the future. I guess her watering the snakes is how Crona and (maybe) Homura escaped, and she just didn't want to deal with that afterwards.

Everyone is doing fine now, so no worries. A few snakes have gotten prey size upgrades (Nymeria is on small rats, Crona on weaned rats, and Sanji should have been upgraded to small rats as well), and should regain any weight they lost during their time without food. No one weighed in any lighter than the last weight I had recorded, but a few were a bit visibly thinner.

A user on another forum was kind enough to temporarily take Bud (ball python), Draco (albino checkered), and Sanji (BRB), and I have 6 of the others with me. Cloud and River are being housed by a local acquaintance, and I'm going to be getting at least one or two T8's so I can shift some snakes around and bring Cloud over here as well.

RIP Homura....

Dominika is one of the ones with me right now, she wasn't worse for the wear, though she was a bit dry. I struggled a bit with the humidity on just aspen, so I switched to EcoEarth, and she's looking better after a shed, but she's definitely always been my most sensitive boa to lower humidity. She always sheds whole pieces, but she always has those lines and dry scales.

She got some odd white spots where her scales were damaged from being dry. Hopefully those will be gone next shed.

Howl is also here.

And Crona.

Tirel as well.

Nymeria (with a shed underneath her).

Demigod is the last of the ones currently with me. He went through a period where he rapidly lost weight, got lethargic, and developed spots on his head. I put him through a short brumation period, and he improved drastically after just a few meals when I took him back out of brumation.

His condition before (notice the dulled colors, spots on his head, and thin body tone):

After maybe 3-4 meals:

And the most current photo I have of him:

Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 02-19-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-19-2018),Alicia (02-20-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (02-19-2018),Gio (02-19-2018),Kam (09-02-2020),richardhind1972 (02-19-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Collection Update

Sorry to hear about your brb, Really glad to see the rest all doing well cloudtheboa, all looking and growing on really well, fingers crossed you got the humidity settled now and I’m sure that last bit of dry scales will shed out next time , good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (02-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your brb, Really glad to see the rest all doing well cloudtheboa, all looking and growing on really well, fingers crossed you got the humidity settled now and I’m sure that last bit of dry scales will shed out next time , good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Considering everything wrong with that house, I'm glad the only snakes that have shown issues were River, Cloud, and Demigod, and they all seem to be mostly back to normal. I'm going to be mildly power feeding Cloud and River to make up for their downtime, but I think now that we're out of there, the worst of the issues are done with. Cloud normally eats every 4-5 weeks and River every 2-3 weeks, but I'm going to feed them weekly until they look 100% normal. I'm not really worried about anyone else.

With any luck, me and the SO will find affordable housing with more room, and I can get the others back again, for now I'm making do with what I have. I'm trying to focus on having money for the move, so I may have to wait on the enclosures, but I want to buy at least 1 or 2 T8's while we're here, though my original plan was to get 3 or 4 T8's. I don't like the height of the T8's, but I was going to upgrade them to T12's or T25's later on, and use the T8's as garter or hognose housing, or for grow out cages for future bigger snakes. But moving is also important, so I may have settle just for one or two for now. Only 2 snakes are in any immediate need for larger digs, the rest could probably go another year before they're big enough to need an upgrade.
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 02-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Glad to see and here you and the gang are back in the saddle....Grats and welcome back.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (02-20-2018),richardhind1972 (02-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Glad to see and here you and the gang are back in the saddle....Grats and welcome back.
    Thanks Albert! I was pretty downtrodden when things first started going down, but I'm glad everything is settled for now. So long as no more issues pop up, I think we're in the clear, and I'm looking forward to getting the other 5 back.

Plus, once I have more room, I should be able to breed Dominika. I didn't want to risk moving with her being gravid, so I've been holding off on breeding her, even though she seems to be going into breeding mode on the nights I turn off the heater. If I let the temps drop at night, she goes from docile and lazy to an absolute beast, striking at everything in front of her and wanting to eat anything that moves. I fed her a colossal and a large rat to try to satisfy her hunger (which is 3x what she normally gets), but that didn't even lower her feeding response. As long as I keep nighttime temps up, she's fine, though.

Now that the weather is warming up, I may also have more room for the snakes, but it all depends on how ok the roommates are with having a snake(s) in the living room. XD I have the room now for everyone minus River, but I have to have stacking enclosures, which is why I wanted to order a bunch of T8's. I'd even have room to get the 3 I sent out of state back. There's plenty of wall space, not so much floor space, if that makes sense?
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-20-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    awww, RIP Homura, I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm also sorry to hear about all the issues, I'm sure it's very stressful. I'm glad you've got a plan going and things are getting better though! Hang in there!
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

welcome back Cloud. glad to hear somethings are going good like starting a new chapter w/ your SO. sorry to hear about Homura, she was a really, really pretty Hypo BRB. anyway sending u and your snakes good vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    u to Albert. welcome back.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    awww, RIP Homura, I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm also sorry to hear about all the issues, I'm sure it's very stressful. I'm glad you've got a plan going and things are getting better though! Hang in there!
    It has been stressful...I'm in my early 20's and I already have a few gray hairs. XD Everything is pretty stable now, so no stress, but we are in need for a bigger place if we can find something in our price range in the area we want to move to. I've been debating moving out of state, but the SO is a bit uneasy on that front right now, so we'll have to play it by ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    welcome back Cloud. glad to hear somethings are going good like starting a new chapter w/ your SO. sorry to hear about Homura, she was a really, really pretty Hypo BRB. anyway sending u and your snakes good vibes.
    Thanks!

I've had absolutely terrible luck with BRBs, but they still remain one of my favorites! After Morzan and Guin, I don't think I have the heart to try with another Picasso stripe...though there are quite a few tempting me. But, I had issues with both of mine, and I've heard of others with the same morph having similar issues, so I'm just going to avoid them. Then of course, Homura went missing...I have half a mind to make my mom pay for another hypo, but I know she'd never be able to afford it. I will get another one eventually though, when I have the room again, and one catches my eye.

As an update on River, I don't have any photos of her since she isn't here with me, but she has improved leaps and bounds with just a few meals! I've been having constant dehydration and shedding issues with her for about a year now, but her scales look 100% healthy. Her last shed was still in pieces, but the pieces were much bigger, and may have just been because I didn't get to it before she shredded it up crawling over it. So fingers crossed I get a whole piece next time. All her dried out scales look normal now, and there isn't a chip anywhere on her belly. She's also gotten markedly heavier and a tad thicker, so yay! I can't believe she's improved so much on her own...I gave her some parasite medication just in case, but she didn't really improve much for several months, not until I got her out of that old house did she start to improve any. Cloud continues to look dark, but he's getting better. I haven't held him to see if the bone popping issue has cleared up, but once he gets done shedding I'll take him out for a bit. Especially now that it's pretty much spring here in western NC...
    3.3 Plains garter snakes

~RIP~

Thanks

So glad everything worked out and most of the clan is back with their mommy! They’re looking great!

Thanks
    They look relieved to be back with their food dispenser...I mean mother lol sorry for your loss healing ~hugs~ from across the miles. Wishing nothing but smooth sailing from here on
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast