Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,609

2 members and 1,607 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Improving muscle tone

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    How old is she ?

I don't really see a "fat" snake, and over feeding is something I'm very much against. Overweight Ball Pythons loose that defined, skinny looking neck. Look at the neck in her picture, its quite thin still.

What size food are you feeding every week ?

Ball Pythons are "heavy bodied" snakes. They appear chubby to many other snake species. However, they certainly CAN get overweight, but I don't really see that ? If she can do all the things you said she can do, plus she is doing well, then I wouldn't worry to much about it. If you do give her something to climb on, make sure its not to high. They really aren't very graceful climbers at all and fall off at times. That's when you hear the dull "thump" in the night..LOL.

Give us some more info on age, size of food,etc

THUMP! Yeah, like to climb, but do not excel at it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-19-2018)

Thanks
    She's a little over a year and half old. She hatched July 4, 2016. I don't have a great snoot to tip of tail length on her, but she's about as long as her 20L tank. She eats one small rat a week.

She's especially not graceful, so low branches it will be. Thanks everyone, I was just worried since I don't have anything to compare her to. Sounds like she's probably a tiny bit chunky but not too much, and that as long as she feels strong when holding her and able to eat her food, she can be a little doughy to the touch.

@Godzilla78 - my family teases me about owning a one eyed snake. It's interesting because it's clear she never even had an eye and does not really have a socket, vs my cat who also has only one eye but lost hers to a gunshot wound.
    0.1 pastel super cinnamon bp - Traya
    0.2 gargoyle gecko - Odin, Asajj
    0.1 tuxedo cat - Siggy

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    That weight is actually quite in the acceptable range for her age. Most people push their BP's (especially females) to already be up to breeding size by that age. Even if she had a slow start, that is still a nice and steady weight gain.

So I wouldn't worry to much about it. If everything else seems to work out fine, just keep doing what you are doing.

Most likely she will let you know when she is ready to slow down. She will act "less enthusiastic" about feeding, will take longer to take the meal and eventually outright refuse. Usually that starts to happen around 1000 grams or so. Once she hits over 1200 grams you can go to feeding every 10 days, and if you don't worry about breeding, you can stretch it to every 2 weeks or so, imho.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    As much as I love her, I would not dream of breeding her due to her congenital issues. I am glad she's caught up a bit size wise though. She was so tiny when I got her.
    0.1 pastel super cinnamon bp - Traya
    0.2 gargoyle gecko - Odin, Asajj
    0.1 tuxedo cat - Siggy

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    Their climbing agility depends on how long they've had climbing opportunities, and what sort of climbing you offer them. My bp has been climbing from a hatchling, and has a nice toned feel to him. No squishiness or large folds where his body bends (there are small almost unnoticeable folds in sharp corners, but the rest are smooth U's), just pure muscle. When he had a small branch that was less than half his girth, yeah, he fell off a lot, but he didn't really fall off his basking shelf all too much. That said, he would sometimes overextend himself exploring, and slide down a wall or his shelf, but not nearly as often as he did in the branch. haha If the branch was thicker he probably wouldn't have had too much trouble.

Being almost 2 years old, I might go ahead and stretch her feedings to 10-14 days, or at least in the next year. I feed my bps a little lighter than some do, though, my 11 year old (~1,400 grams) gets fed a small rat every 2-3 weeks. Usually every 2, though.

I agree she's a good size for her age, though. If you want to build muscle mass, the key is plenty of room to exercise (so plenty of floor space and some climbing room) and less food *if applicable*.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

Starscream (02-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: Improving muscle tone

That said, all my males have always felt "tighter" then my females..

Even my 3000 grams male feels more tight then my smaller females. I think like most species females build more fat reserves in the middle regions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-20-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12