Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

1 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Carpet python, what type is this?

I can’t really tell, but i think this is a jaya carpet python. Would be great to know for sure before purchase.
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Might be some chunk IJ, likely some Coastal, possibly some Jungle ancestry, as well. Does the seller know what's in there? If not, you'll never know for sure -- so, it kinda depends on what your goals are in buying it. If you just want a nice pet, and are fine with an unknown carpet, then it doesn't matter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

bullshott (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Re: Carpet python, what type is this?

Carpets are very variable snakes, so unless you have lineage on it you'll never really know. An undocumented Carpet will still be an awesome pet but if you intend to breed I would look at other animals, here's a relevant video on this.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-18-2018),bullshott (02-18-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (02-18-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Other have said it, if you buy from a REPUTABLE breeder you will find pure animals and will be able to get their lineage, same if you buy an intergrade a reputable breeder will be able to tell you the percentages involved.

Now if you buy from Joe Schmoe you could buy just about anything, there are a lot of mutts out there that may look like something pure.

If you want something pure because you are thinking about breeding some day do yourself a favor buy from a reputable breeder that keeps track of lineage.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-18-2018),bullshott (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Thank you all, i bought a carpet python from a reputable breeder and turns out, he has a RI! Bought from store before and was a good experience but now i have a jungle carpet python and need to cure a RI, any tips?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Go to a vet. Find one that is reputable in exotic. If you can, have a culture sent out to rule out nidovirus. Morelia are slow to show visual signs of distress and disease so once you see signs of RI, it needs a vet's treatment. Do not do DIY fogger treatments or pointless attempts at home remedies like eucalyptus oil.

Make sure the enclosure is not using bark or coconut fiber substrate while treating. Paper towel or other disposable clean liner only. Raise temperatures slightly to increase immune responses and keep humidity down while treating. Make a vet appointment as soon as you can. If you just ordered the snake however see if you can return it for a full refund, you should not have to take on the responsibility of any illness if you just bought it. Also, that was not a reputable breeder if they sold you an ill snake. Any reputable breeder would constantly monitor for signs of illness and never sell something immunocompromised.

Here is this site's vet list to find one.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...d-Exotics-Vets
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Go to a vet. Find one that is reputable in exotic. If you can, have a culture sent out to rule out nidovirus. Morelia are slow to show visual signs of distress and disease so once you see signs of RI, it needs a vet's treatment. Do not do DIY fogger treatments or pointless attempts at home remedies like eucalyptus oil.

Make sure the enclosure is not using bark or coconut fiber substrate while treating. Paper towel or other disposable clean liner only. Raise temperatures slightly to increase immune responses and keep humidity down while treating. Make a vet appointment as soon as you can. If you just ordered the snake however see if you can return it for a full refund, you should not have to take on the responsibility of any illness if you just bought it. Also, that was not a reputable breeder if they sold you an ill snake. Any reputable breeder would constantly monitor for signs of illness and never sell something immunocompromised.

Here is this site's vet list to find one.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...d-Exotics-Vets
    currently using forest floor cypress mulch and the carpet is young, some how he managed to get it stuck in his mouth. Have to manage to wiggle that out while being struck at endlessly. The reptile store also offered a full refund and recommended I return it if i see conditions worsen. Which I have never treated or any of my others have an illness so i am new to this. I think I will
    return it because I definitely do not want the condition to worsen because it sounds pretty bad as far as the “pop / crack” sound goes, wheezing is minor though. My main goal is the snakes well being and to be safe.
    Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.