Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

0 members and 2,848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retic cages...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Unless I can somehow get a hold of PVC sheets for cheap, I will continue to build all my racks and cages out of oak plywood, with waterproof paint. Still way cheaper than buying commercially made stuff. And it will last forever!!! ¾" oak finish plywood is very expensive though. I would love to find a way to get PVC sheets without the crazy shipping, simply because it is lighter and easier to clean and 100% waterproof without primer or paint.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Retic cages...

Quote Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
    I've own Burmese pythons in the past with melamine cages that have lasted 8yrs plus...
    Cages we're sealed with silcone ..

$640 for one cage from AP and their not fail prove id personally rather spend $600 on two cages that last me even 6 year's I would be happy... remember when vision cages came out they were the must have... I've seen them sag an bow in the same length of time the melamine cages ... Also see big breeders like NERD an prehistoric Pets using wood an melamine together.

Who knows in 5 yrs from what will come...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Nothings is Fail Prove and a PVC enclosure can last the life of a snake instead of 6 happy years with your other choice. Do whatever is best for you, but id never go back to any of the Melamine I had (8x30x36 for a adult Burm) after the AP's I now have. Im not trying to talk you into a certain brand just the material hahahaha. Id never spend $300 every 5/6 years when I could spend $600 and still sell it if I wanted years later looking like it did when I bought it. There is no sagging on the exterior walls of AP where doors tracks are ect..... The larger 8' AP have center Bracing too. Good look with whatever you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-17-2018),robert7107 (02-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,857 Times in 4,778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Unless I can somehow get a hold of PVC sheets for cheap, I will continue to build all my racks and cages out of oak plywood, with waterproof paint. Still way cheaper than buying commercially made stuff. And it will last forever!!! ¾" oak finish plywood is very expensive though. I would love to find a way to get PVC sheets without the crazy shipping, simply because it is lighter and easier to clean and 100% waterproof without primer or paint.
    Your local Home Depot carries 4'x8'x1/2" PVC sheet.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...AWS6/205309788

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Your local Home Depot carries 4'x8'x1/2" PVC sheet.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...AWS6/205309788
    No, unfortunately it does not. I looked everywhere before building my rack and nobody carries it without expensive shipping. I was looking for ¾” sheets for my large rack shelves as ½” is kind of weak and flexy.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Robert, I did not mean to imply that melamine did not last. My BoaMaster is well beyond 6 years and is holding up fine. I just will not go with anything that is so unbelievably heavy again.

I will be very upset if my APs only last 6 years. I expect them to last the rest of MY life! Assuming that they will not be disassembled and reassembled over and over.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7107 View Post
    Animal Plastics was my first choice but for a 6ft by 2ft cage to California it's going to cost me over $620. Shipped.. I can get 2 cages built for the price of one

Wha!!?? I ordered 3 AP T25 which are the 72x30x18 cages with a stand and the shipping to Washington State cost me $319. And honestly, they are awesome. Well worth the cost. I got them loaded though with the LED lighting, locks, shelves and flexwatt. Could have pieced it together for cheaper but i have no problem paying a little extra to help out a great business plus the loyalty

And if it was me and I had mainlands, i would definitely go with 8x3 cages. Heck i might end up getting one for Caesar here this summer along with an AP A20 for Pat if he grows a lot. He is going into shed for the second time since i got him. I think the extra helping of mouse pushed him into a shed lol. Him and Rango are both being antisocial.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-18-2018 at 02:02 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Wha!!?? I ordered 3 AP T25 which are the 72x30x18 cages with a stand and the shipping to Washington State cost me $319. And honestly, they are awesome. Well worth the cost. I got them loaded though with the LED lighting, locks, shelves and flexwatt. Could have pieced it together for cheaper but i have no problem paying a little extra to help out a great business plus the loyalty

And if it was me and I had mainlands, i would definitely go with 8x3 cages. Heck i might end up getting one for Caesar here this summer along with an AP A20 for Pat if he grows a lot. He is going into shed for the second time since i got him. I think the extra helping of mouse pushed him into a shed lol. Him and Rango are both being antisocial.
    Ya I'm not paying $620 for one cage hell the shipping cost is almost as much as the cage an your paying for it flat stacked you still have too build the damn thing... My biggest problem is I have 3 females two mainlands that will all be going into a cage around the same time couldn't imagine the cost of shipping for three cages. Funny thing is when I spoke to an associate at AP about a quote for shipping she asked where I lived and she said before she even calculated it that was going to be high.....

Where I live their is guy that builds them using wood of your choice.. I'll give the local guy the business I've seen his work it's amazing to say the least....
    I may go 8ft .....

Last edited by robert7107; 02-18-2018 at 09:40 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to robert7107 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-18-2018)

Thanks

I get it, the costs for cages and shipping can suck, along with the wait time. I made some mistakes along the way that I've learned from. I have a T8 for my royal with an RHP and a T10 for my Retic with an RHP. The wait time sucked, and I miss judged Genes size. I have always feed every 7 days and appropriate size, his parents were both at 6', Gene is pushing 9'. He actually has enough room in the T10 if I don't clutter it up.

I am decent at wood working, but there are a lot of negatives. Even wood ones will cost a lot if you make them correct. Dry lock will seal it, but then they are not visually appeasing. Glass or plexi glass is much more than you would think. The weight and possibility of mold or for isn't worth it. Animal plastics are the only enclosures I'd ever buy. I love mine, and their support is top notch. These will last a life time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stearns84 View Post
    I get it, the costs for cages and shipping can suck, along with the wait time. I made some mistakes along the way that I've learned from. I have a T8 for my royal with an RHP and a T10 for my Retic with an RHP. The wait time sucked, and I miss judged Genes size. I have always feed every 7 days and appropriate size, his parents were both at 6', Gene is pushing 9'. He actually has enough room in the T10 if I don't clutter it up.

I am decent at wood working, but there are a lot of negatives. Even wood ones will cost a lot if you make them correct. Dry lock will seal it, but then they are not visually appeasing. Glass or plexi glass is much more than you would think. The weight and possibility of mold or for isn't worth it. Animal plastics are the only enclosures I'd ever buy. I love mine, and their support is top notch. These will last a life time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    6ft.by 2ft by 18 tall.
    Birchwood 3/4 ply. With fiberglass resin coating to protect against moisture an sliding doors with lock.....

$320.00 includes cost of cage an material an rental truck an fuel
    Wait time 6-12 days.

Last edited by robert7107; 02-18-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks

Vision cage is cheaper then AP to ship and it's assembled...$139 for the vision 600 plus the cage $439.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast