Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

0 members and 2,871 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Post Easy minimal effort racking system for ball pythons?!

Im new to this forum so I'm sorry if something like this has already been posted. Im looking into increasing my ball python collection. I do not have room for more tanks so I'm looking into making a rack system for them instead. Ive always felt rack systems are better for ball pythons aywanyway. Instead of buying a bunch of supplies and building a rack system, or buying a pre built one and pay an insane price, I was looking into plastic drawers that you can buy from most department stores. I do have the money to afford the prebuilts but i choose to be as economical as possible. After hours of searching the web. This is what ive found, a 17inch x 29inch single underbed drawer that is 5.8 inches heigh. These are stackable and i can easily fix heat tape and a herpstat to this system. Ive included a link to it. What are your guys thoughts on it? Again im sorry if theres a similar thread already. Thank you for your time and patience and hope for some good input!

://www.homedepot.com/p/IRIS-17-38-in-x-5-88-in-White-Under-Bed-Box-Chest-Drawer-170361/303172293?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google||_pkw__pmt__product_303172293& mid=srfOhneNn|dm_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_142850460449_pkw__pmt__product_30317229 3_slid_&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwp_UBRD7ARIsAMie3XZPM-oLkbmQBFxBusPB7HK2b7wgnOV29osBdVNMX9eUnDldpfuGsXIaApG6EALw_wcB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I think you would find them to be inadequate. The main difference between those and a rack system, is that a rack system has SHELVES. SO you can slide the tubs out and back, without disturbing the heat tape or the thermostat probe. The shelf above acts as the "cage top" so the snake can't escape. In this case, it looks like flimsy lids, you would have to strap shut and they wouldn't stack as neatly, with heat tape, probes and a belt strapped around them! Then you have the problem of how to secure the heating tape and thermostat probes? Where would you out them in a stackable system? You would have to move them all the time, and it would be tedious and you would eventually end up with broken heat tape.
    I think you could MAKE it work, but it would be such a nightmare, that you would scrap it all and start over.

I build my own to save money. It requires a lot of effort and time, and it takes skill to build it RIGHT. So if you are not the mechanical type, I would recommend just buying a professionally made rack.

If you are up to the challenge of a rack build, here is my project that I am very pleased with. It works great.

The link below shows a brief series of photos of the build.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...e-Breeder-Rack
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-17-2018 at 11:45 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Slicercrush (02-21-2018),Sonny1318 (02-17-2018)