Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 486

2 members and 484 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I hate that you’re still having some feeding issues dakski. My LG is off food right now as well and even though I know they go off this time of year, it doesn’t make it any less stressful.

I had a little luck with freshly shed mealworms but even then he only took one, so if spike worms work for you let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do. They arrive on Tuesday. Apparently, you can refrigerate and they will last 3-4 weeks. They encourage you to take them out a few minutes before you feed to warm up and get active.

Katie is not happy about "bugs" in her fridge, but is willing to make an exception for Cleo.

For what's worth, Cleo never turns down a hornworm, if you want to see if your guy will take something. Mostly water, but has some calcium and protein, so a little better than waxworms, I think. They are also pretty big.

Her second favorite is waxworms. She likes butterworms, but neither she, nor Carra (LG also), hold them down. I think they are too fatty. Same with superworms. I've tried and they just don't agree with them. Not saying all LG's cannot have Superworms, but mine don't tolerate them.

I wanted to order silkworms to try as well, but my sources were out of stock. They are supposed to have more protein than hornworms.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-13-2021),Hugsplox (03-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    ...Katie is not happy about "bugs" in her fridge, but is willing to make an exception for Cleo...
    Oh, the "sacrifices" we all make to keep our herps happy.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-13-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh, the "sacrifices" we all make to keep our herps happy.
    Absolutely!

By the way, Hugsplox, if I didn't mention recently, Dubai Roaches were a staple for Cleo, but she seemed to lose taste and/or it was too much effort to hunt them down. Carra still adores them. So if you haven't tried them, those might be a hit too. They don't morph, don't smell, are great nutrition wise, and don't breed at room temperature. Anyway, you probably already know all that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-13-2021)

Thanks

Katie is not happy about "bugs" in her fridge, but is willing to make an exception for Cleo.

As long as you don't mind having them added to your dinner some evening if she gets mad at you.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-13-2021),dakski (03-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Absolutely!

By the way, Hugsplox, if I didn't mention recently, Dubai Roaches were a staple for Cleo, but she seemed to lose taste and/or it was too much effort to hunt them down. Carra still adores them. So if you haven't tried them, those might be a hit too. They don't morph, don't smell, are great nutrition wise, and don't breed at room temperature. Anyway, you probably already know all that.
    Oh I know Spitfire, my LG, did really well on them but I think had a harder time grabbing them vs some type of work. He did the same thing with crickets.

He’s still leaving me his typical gift in his favorite spot, so he’s eating something lol, we’ve just had such a huge drop off in appetite that it worried me a bit. Hopefully it’s just the season but we’ll see once it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-13-2021)

Thanks

I did get the spike fly larvae. Cleo was uninterested. It seems she did eat a couple mealworms out of her bowl this week (but sometimes they escape, so not sure until I clean the entire enclosure). She also ate a couple wax worms and a hornworm covered in calcium and vitamin powder, so at least she got her weekly amount of those. She seems okay. Her mouth looks okay, she's not losing weight, she's active, and will literally sit in my hand and take a waxworm from the other.

I don't think she's in any major discomfort at the movement. However, she was chilling in her moist hide, so a shed might be imminent, which might add to her not eating much. That in addition to the time of year and her age, etc.

I'll try again with the spike worms soon.

In the meantime, Carra (LG) and Ferry (Chewie), really liked them. They are the size of a small waxworm, move like a waxworm, but are more nutritious and seem gummier and denser (which makes sense because they are less fatty by a lot and have more protein).

Cleo seems to be going mostly by smell now and not movement - I really think her eyes are not great at this point. She smells the waxworms and hornworms and then bites them, often missing at first. Same with the mealworms, but they are harder to grab and not as enticing.

Hugsplox - overall, they were a big hit. However, Carra and Ferry eat anything that moves. Probably worth trying.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (03-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I did get the spike fly larvae. Cleo was uninterested. It seems she did eat a couple mealworms out of her bowl this week (but sometimes they escape, so not sure until I clean the entire enclosure). She also ate a couple wax worms and a hornworm covered in calcium and vitamin powder, so at least she got her weekly amount of those. She seems okay. Her mouth looks okay, she's not losing weight, she's active, and will literally sit in my hand and take a waxworm from the other.

I don't think she's in any major discomfort at the movement. However, she was chilling in her moist hide, so a shed might be imminent, which might add to her not eating much. That in addition to the time of year and her age, etc.

I'll try again with the spike worms soon.

In the meantime, Carra (LG) and Ferry (Chewie), really liked them. They are the size of a small waxworm, move like a waxworm, but are more nutritious and seem gummier and denser (which makes sense because they are less fatty by a lot and have more protein).

Cleo seems to be going mostly by smell now and not movement - I really think her eyes are not great at this point. She smells the waxworms and hornworms and then bites them, often missing at first. Same with the mealworms, but they are harder to grab and not as enticing.

Hugsplox - overall, they were a big hit. However, Carra and Ferry eat anything that moves. Probably worth trying.
    I'll definitely give them a try. Spitfire is in shed right now as well, but yesterday was feeding day, so I figured I'd see what he did, and he happily took 4 medium crickets from me. Hopefully this is the start of him getting back to normal now that it's warming up a little more outside, but we'll see. I think one of my big mistakes early on was only tong feeding vs leaving something in there with him. Initially he was only eating meal worms but I moved him to crickets when he started showing less interest.

Since I didn't want to leave crickets in the enclosure with him, I exclusively tong fed, so when I went back to leaving something in a bowl, the dubias, he was not interested. I don't want to say for sure that that was the issue, but yesterday went really well feeding off the tongs again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-18-2021)

Thanks

Cleo hasn't accepted a mealworm in weeks. However, she will happily eat hornworms and waxworms. Waxworms are Gecko Crack and junk food and not good for her. So she doesn't get more than 2-3 a week, if that. However, I have been giving her hornworms 2X a week. The hornworms have some protein and calcium, but are mostly water. Either way, I know she's getting some nutrients and 1X a week I add vitamins and 2X a week (or both feedings) I add calcium. At least I know she's hydrating, getting some nutrients, calcium, vitamins, and protein.

I am not sure if she's going to get stuck on the hornworms, but I am not sure I care. They are not a bad food, just not ideal. However, she's eating something, maintaining weight, and she's not exactly a growing girl at her age. So, if these keep her happy, so be it.

Of course, the Spike worms were not a hit with her. Carra seemed to like them as did Ferry, but the 2nd time around, not as much. Since they both happily eat practically anything I give them (except Ferry doesn't like hornworms - go figure), there is no need to re-order the spike worms and have them in the fridge annoying Katie.

Silkworms, which are similar to hornworms, were in stock again at rainbow mealworms, and I ordered for delivery next week. They are not as colorful, but are more nutritious. I'll see if Cleo likes them, and I am hopeful, but if not, I'll keep offering mealworms and see if she starts taking them as we get closer to summer. If not, hornworms and an occasional wax worm it is. I am not going to starve her to try to get her to switch back to dubia or mealworms. I remember, my Grandfather, RIP, was in his 90's (he died at 96, almost 97) and was trying to decide about having cookies or ice cream after dinner. I told him, why not both, at your age, what difference does it make? He agreed and proceeded to indulge himself somewhat the last 2-3 years of his life. He did not die from the effects of cookies or ice cream. He did die a happy guy though having lived a full life and having enjoyed cookies and ice cream for years before he died. I am taking the same approach with Cleo. You want hormworms and waxworms, fine, at least you are eating and happy.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-26-2021),Hugsplox (03-30-2021)

Thanks

When it rains it pours. About a week ago, it looked like Cleo was favoring her right eye and her left eye looked semi-closed. She was going into shed and I let things be. She had a decent shed, except for a little shed on left on her head, which I helped her remove easily today.

Her eye looks much worse now. It's oozy and discolored and she's not opening her eye much.

I plan to the call the vet and ordered Vertycin Plus eye wash and eye gel. It will be here Thursday and I can at least start rinsing her eye.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not sure what happened, but I am frustrated and worried for her.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Either got something in her eye or it's the gecko-version of "pink-eye"? Just guessing-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-30-2021)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast