Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 479

1 members and 478 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Beautiful & probably the healthiest looking LGs I've ever seen,
    Sorry for the late response.

Bogertophis, you know I do my best to keep all my animals happy and healthy. Still, that means a lot!

Carra has a few bad toes from poor sheds because Cleo was being a bully and hogging the moist hide. Since I moved her, she's had no issues, and for what's it worth, seems no worse for the wear. I still feel really bad. I should have gone with instinct and not listened to the breeder.

I can't go back, but I can move forward. They are all thrilled to have their own digs, and 3X2' tanks at that! Everyone is doing really well on their own and seem really happy. I am glad I had the space to give them all what they needed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2019)

Thanks

Cleo has this routine where she begs for food. She goes totally nuts when I shake the bug dish around with the calcium (and often vitamins as well).

Last night I got video of the whole thing. It's pretty funny.

The video is bad because I have on hand to film leaving one hand to feed and unlock and open the tank and keep Cleo in her tank, etc.

However, the commentary is ok, if I can say so myself.

Enjoy.

Video of Cleo going Coo-coo for Roaches! https://streamable.com/dptl3

Thanks

Kayla and Carra are getting so much better with handling, especially at night. I spent some time with them last night and Carra ate from my hand while out, Kayla ate a wax worm when I put it down in front of her and she had calmed a bit, and Cleo, well.......

Cleo has always been a social butterfly. She loves being out and chills etc. She is so chill that I haven't been handling her at much, especially at night, because she will come out happily during the day.

Well, I took Cleo out to hand feed her a wax worm and she seems more interested in my fingers than anything! FOOD? FOOD? FOOD? FOR ME???? NO! My finger!

I came away unscathed as she's predictable and it's just a food response. However, I plan to handle her more at night and not just feed her.

Below is a video of her eating a wax worm from my hand and then thinking FOOOOOOOD! FINGERS????????? Fingers Food?

Last edited by dakski; 03-08-2019 at 07:59 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2019),Dianne (03-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    "Mmm! I've heard of parties with 'finger foods'...is it...is it this? Hold still! Come back...?"

Dave, she's adorable! -as if you didn't know?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-08-2019),Dianne (03-08-2019)

Thanks

The Geckos have been doing fine, except for Cleo. She had a scab or some beginnings of mouth rot on her top lip. I gently removed it with a q-tip as she didn't seem to want to eat. That didn't seem to bother her, and after, she still fasted.

Nothing serious, but they tend to fast certain times of the year, and that's okay. Kayla fasted for about a month and started eating again recently, but not exactly devouring her food, but maintaining weight. Carra has been pretty consistently eating like a pig, but also took a week or so off a month or so ago. Cleo on the other hand, has not really been eating for a couple of months. She will occasionally pick and there is a little poop now and again. She's drinking and leaves urine/urate, and has not lost any dramatic weight at all and still has a fat tail.

If offered, the only thing I could get her to eat was wax worms, but I feed those sparingly as they are fatty and Gecko Crack!

I offered canned crickets the other day, which Carra loves when wiggled on tongs, and Cleo seemed interested, but didn't take.

As a final resort to try to get her to eat, I offered her a Pro Bugs Eco Fresh Grasshopper. They are expensive, but fresh sealed and both Frank and Toref like them. I shook it on my fingers and she tasted it with her tongue, and then grabbed and devoured one today.

She does not seem egg bound and again, has a fat tail and seem fine otherwise. She would always eat the wax worms. Not sure if she's just picky in her old age (7 years), or what, but she loved that grasshopper. I ordered some more and a few other Pro Bugs and canned items. Maybe variety is what she needs, or something different? Dubai and mealworms are doing it for her right now.

Anyway, I am relieved, although I was never too worried. I also wanted others to know there are options out there.

I would not count on LG's eating canned/fresh sealed insects as a regular diet. They like the movement usually. However, it can be a nice supplement. Toref (monitor) and Frank (BTS) are both predators and scavengers and eat anything. LG's and other geckos tend to go on movement and like live. Ferry (Chewie), who loves insects of all kinds, and eats powder/gel diet, will not touch canned or fresh sealed insects.
    Last edited by dakski; 09-13-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    The Geckos have been doing fine, except for Cleo. She had a scab or some beginnings of mouth rot on her top lip. I gently removed it with a q-tip as she didn't seem to want to eat. That didn't seem to bother her, and after, she still fasted.

Nothing serious, but they tend to fast certain times of the year, and that's okay. Kayla fasted for about a month and started eating again recently, but not exactly devouring her food, but maintaining weight. Carra has been pretty consistently eating like a pig, but also took a week or so off a month or so ago. Cleo on the other hand, has not really been eating for a couple of months. She will occasionally pick and there is a little poop now and again. She's drinking and leaves urine/urate, and has not lost any dramatic weight at all and still has a fat tail.

If offered, the only thing I could get her to eat was wax worms, but I feed those sparingly as they are fatty and Gecko Crack!

I offered canned crickets the other day, which Carra loves when wiggled on tongs, and Cleo seemed interested, but didn't take.

As a final resort to try to get her to eat, I offered her a Pro Bugs Eco Fresh Grasshopper. They are expensive, but fresh sealed and both Frank and Toref like them. I shook it on my fingers and she tasted it with her tongue, and then grabbed and devoured one today.

She does not seem egg bound and again, has a fat tail and seem fine otherwise. She would always eat the wax worms. Not sure if she's just picky in her old age (7 years), or what, but she loved that grasshopper. I ordered some more and a few other Pro Bugs and canned items. Maybe variety is what she needs, or something different? Dubai and mealworms are doing it for her right now.

Anyway, I am relieved, although I was never too worried. I also wanted others to know there are options out there.

I would not count on LG's eating canned/fresh sealed insects as a regular diet. They like the movement usually. However, it can be a nice supplement. Toref (monitor) and Frank (BTS) are both predators and scavengers and eat anything. LG's and other geckos tend to go on movement and like live. Ferry (Chewie), who loves insects of all kinds, and eats powder/gel diet, will not touch canned or fresh sealed insects.
    I spoke too soon. Cleo threw up the grasshopper. Not the first time she's thrown up a big meal, but I am frustrated.

I ordered an assortment of life insects including hornworms, phoenix worms, and wax worms. I also ordered nutribac to dust them with. Let's see if I can get her back to eating.

In the meantime, I am not too worried, still, as she has yet to lose and substantial weight, and Kayla is on and then off food of late as well. Carra is the only one devouring anything I put in front of her.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-17-2019)

Thanks
    I hope Cleo gets going for you...these little LGs can be frustrating when they don't eat. My experience with them is too limited to be of help.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-18-2019)

Thanks

I hope Cleo gets going for you...these little LGs can be frustrating when they don't eat. My experience with them is too limited to be of help.
    Thank you. She’s still being very social and inquisitive. She is acting fine.

I’ve had them for 6 or 7 years now. Unless they lose weight I don’t worry too much. Even if they do, they usually start eating before losing body weight (just tail weight).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-18-2019)

Thanks
    Anyway, if she was going to hack up anything, I'm not surprised it was a grasshopper. The large legs on grasshoppers (also on large crickets) are very hard to
    digest & can plug up lizards that eat them (& keep them down). That's what happened to the bearded dragon I rescued many years ago...he was starved & dying
    when he was dumped on me, after being fed only crickets & becoming constipated from the large back legs he couldn't digest. And he was much bigger than an LG.

I pulled him thru though...oral doses of mineral oil per my vet, plus luke-warm water soaks in my bathtub- my hunch that proved to be spot on, both helped him
    clear his constipation & be able to eat again, after which he gained & did very well. But during his treatment, he got very spoiled eating little dabs of baby food, LOL! That kept him going just enough without overloading his GI tract. Long after he was eating normal dragon "salads" he saw me eating ice cream...& apparently thought it looked enough like the baby food he still remembered that he tried to jump into my bowl, hahaha! Dragons are goofy!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-18-2019 at 12:19 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Anyway, if she was going to hack up anything, I'm not surprised it was a grasshopper. The large legs on grasshoppers (also on large crickets) are very hard to
    digest & can plug up lizards that eat them (& keep them down). That's what happened to the bearded dragon I rescued many years ago...he was starved & dying
    when he was dumped on me, after being fed only crickets & becoming constipated from the large back legs he couldn't digest. And he was much bigger than an LG.

I pulled him thru though...oral doses of mineral oil per my vet, plus luke-warm water soaks in my bathtub- my hunch that proved to be spot on, both helped him
    clear his constipation & be able to eat again, after which he gained & did very well. But during his treatment, he got very spoiled eating little dabs of baby food, LOL! That kept him going just enough without overloading his GI tract. Long after he was eating normal dragon "salads" he saw me eating ice cream...& apparently thought it looked enough like the baby food he still remembered that he tried to jump into my bowl, hahaha! Dragons are goofy!
    Cleo and Kayla have a history of not holding down big meals - super worms even sometimes. Carra can eat anything and with zero issue. She ate canned crickets and a grasshopper and digested it fine. I think it depends on the animal. Remember though, LG's are insectivores/carnivores. Beardies are omnivorous. LG's cannot eat as much, but they can handle more chitin in their diets than beardies can. Toref (dwarf monitor) can hold down anything! Grasshoppers, mice with bones, crickets, etc. Again, a pure carnivore.

I also have good news. I got Cleo to eat today. She had 3 Hornworms and loved them, and a wax worm. All were coated in Nutribac in case her stomach is bothering her. I think it's just the time of year and she's being picky. Either way, I am glad I got some easily digestible food into her, with nutribac, and she held it all down. This proves to me that she's probably just being picky and it's not an issue with her mouth, etc. Kayla has been spotty lately too. Maybe it's just the time of year. Carra, of course, continues to devour anything near her. This might get Cleo started, but even if I've found a few items she likes and will eat sometimes, and she's not losing weight, we are on the right track.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2019)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast