Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

2 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

I have had Cleo, Carra, and Kayla, for 5 years now. They all got along great together, and grew up together, until a few months ago. Cleo began attacking Carra. So, they are now separated. Carra has a couple of battle scars, but nothing major. Everyone is better for the move. Not sure why it happened, but in general, LG's like to be alone. All females, and having grown up together, and in a 4X2' tank, I was told they would have enough space for all. Oh well. They now reside as follows: Kayla and Carra in a 3X2X1' (1/2 a 6X2X1' Boaphile) and Cleo on the other side/half. Carra and Kayla get along fine, and Cleo could care less being on her own.

Kayla is shy, but tolerates handling, and is a voracious eater.

Carra is also shy, but once picked up, is a little more chill. She refuses to use her moist hide. They shed often. I soak her in shed. Still, and sadly, she has some minor toe damage on a couple of toes. The other two use the moist hide like clockwork. I was told they all knew to do it. The damage is old, but I still feel terrible. She seems no worse for the wear, but I still feel awful. I try to take the best care of all my animals. Further hampering the shedding was her issues with being handled when younger. OMG! Have you ever heard an LG squeal/chirp like a bird. Not a happy camper. We have come to terms with each other and she even lets me help with sheds now. Not so much the first year .

Cleo will literally come out to say hi and ask to be held 70% of the time I go in her tank, or by it! She is incredibly outgoing and social. She shows zero fear. However, she also picked on her sister. Probably related?

Anyway, I love these little girls. Each has their own personality, they are pretty easy to care for (except for shed issues), and all are beautiful.

I feed 3-4X a week in summer, and a little less in winter, when they do not want to eat as much. I feed a varied diet with Dubai roaches as a staple, and mealworms every 3rd to 4th meal. Occasional phoenix worms or wax worms too, but they love them too much and will refuse their staple diet! I supplement with vitamins 2X a week and Calcium 3X. They also have a little dish in their enclosures with calcium and a little vitamin powder. They know when they need more and will lick it. Fresh water always and temps range from 89-90F hot spot, to 80-82 cool spot, with ambient around 82.

Kayla: Blazing Bell

Cleo(patra): Mack Snow Typhoon

Carra: Sunglow (I love her marble eyes!).

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2018),Courage (03-31-2021),Dianne (10-26-2018),GoingPostal (02-17-2018),Kam (02-15-2021),MissterDog (10-25-2018),Ronniex2 (08-30-2018),Trinityblood (02-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Nice geckos. Can you handle them or just display animals?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: Finally - 5 years late: An introduction to Cleo, Carra, and Kayla

Cleo I can handle all day, if I wanted.

Carra can tolerate a little handling.

Kayla is so/so with handling. Small amounts ok, but but not a lot.

None are aggressive or bite, if that's what you mean. Kayla gets squirmy and I get tired of hand over hand, lol. I don't want to hurt or upset her. Carra can be a little like that too.

Cleo will sit and watch TV.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

BlueOrleans1290 (02-25-2021),Bogertophis (12-29-2018),zina10 (04-24-2018)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Awww they are so pretty! I just took in one but he is not in good shape at all and I fear will need to be put down unfortunately, he wasn't properly taken care of and has severe MBD. But I am definitely considering getting one of my own now. Your sunglow is gorgeous.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2018),dakski (02-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Awww they are so pretty! I just took in one but he is not in good shape at all and I fear will need to be put down unfortunately, he wasn't properly taken care of and has severe MBD. But I am definitely considering getting one of my own now. Your sunglow is gorgeous.

UGH! Not good! Yeah, people don't think about proper diet and supplements a lot with lizards in general (or in general I should say). Lizards really suffer a lot and quickly from improper care.

Beardies who do not get supplements AND UVB have similar issues. I hate hearing that, especially with all the information out there now on proper care, and THESE ARE LIVING CREATURES!

Anyway enough of a rant from me.

I do enjoy my LG's and Carra (the sunglow) is very pretty. Marble grey eyes and bright orange after she sheds (she is due in the picture above).

I would recommend keeping them housed separately though. The more I read, the better I think that is. I am lucky that Carra and Kayla have no issues living together. Cleo could care less being one her own though. Would have been brutal, with my space constraints, and having just invested in a 5 tank Boaphile complex, to have to split them all up! Splitting a tank in two was okay, but having a third enclosure somewhere would suck right now.

NEVER put two males together as they will, likely, fight to death. Also, males and females together will lead to babies and probably harassment.

Overall, separate is good, or just get one! I know, who can only get one of anything when it comes to reptiles?

Thanks

I have to admit that my son’s skink has toe damage, and it was my fault as I was responsible for the skink’s care while my son was away from home for work, and I completely missed a shed. It’s a horrible feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-08-2019),dakski (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    I have to admit that my son’s skink has toe damage, and it was my fault as I was responsible for the skink’s care while my son was away from home for work, and I completely missed a shed. It’s a horrible feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, hard to keep up on LG sheds because they happen a lot and they get rather reclusive during that time. I also thought I was doing enough providing the moist hide. By the time I realized it, it was too late, especially with her aversion to being handled at that point. Took her a while to get more comfortable with that.

Still, ultimately my responsibility, and I do feel terrible.

Thank you for sympathizing!

I am just glad that was the extent my learning curve with Carra and the LG's.

Overall, they are doing fantastic! Nice tails, nice colors, and happy eaters!

Thank you again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Took some fresh pics of the girls (not great, but okay pics).

Cleo looking good:

Carra and Kayla:

Oh, Carra, those eyes!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2018),Kam (02-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    oh wow, they are so beautiful !!!

I can't get over how thin their toes are and how thick those tails are !! So different from the Crestie I have.

Leo's have the most beautiful eyes, too, so pretty !!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    oh wow, they are so beautiful !!!

I can't get over how thin their toes are and how thick those tails are !! So different from the Crestie I have.

Leo's have the most beautiful eyes, too, so pretty !!
    Thanks Zina10. They are good little geckos!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast