Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

2 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fasting or Not?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Fasting or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Appreciate the response. He's a little over a year old feeding on f/t mice (approx 25-30 gram). I tried the conversion to rat pups a couple months ago and it didn't go well (i.e. regurgitation). Went through the whole recovery process and he went back on mice w/o problems. No changes in husbandry other then changing the direction of his hides in his pvc enclosure. His hot spot is a little on the high side (93) so I might try and get that down a couple of degrees. Ambients are 76-79 and humidity is 70%. Don't think he's going into shed because his last shed was pretty recent (about a month ago). He's been mostly a shy eater (drop and leave) and on a couple occasions when he's been really hungry he's struck and drug it back in the hide. Hopefully the left prey tonight will be gone in the morning but last week's no show gives me some doubts. Bottom line, is that I was hoping he would be a little more beefier then 350 before a fast.
    1. I would get the hot spot temps down. Regurgitation could be because hot spot is too hot and he didn't use it. It can also be because prey item is too big. What size rat? I know you said rat pup (but don't remember weight off the top of my head). If similar size to mouse, he probably should not have regurgitated.

Some BP's will not switch to rats, but most do.

2. 70% humidity is ok for shedding, but probably high otherwise. I would aim for 60% average. 70% tops in shed.

I understand wanting him to be beefier before a fast, but what can you do?

Hang in there!
    Last edited by dakski; 02-17-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks

Re: Fasting or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    1. I would get the hot spot temps down. Regurgitation could be because hot spot is too hot and he didn't use it. It can also be because prey item is too big. What size rat? I know you said rat pup (but don't remember weight off the top of my head). If similar size to mouse, he probably should not have regurgitated.

Some BP's will not switch to rats, but most do.

2. 70% humidity is ok for shedding, but probably high otherwise. I would aim for 60% average. 70% tops in shed.

I understand wanting him to be beefier before a fast, but what can you do?

Hang in there!
    The rat pups were about the same size as the mice being offered and well within the 10-15% recommended feeding chart that I’ve seen on here. I really think he just doesn’t like rats. I tried scenting with mice and he never showed any more interest going forward so I reverted back to mice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12