Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

3 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Keeping a hatchling happy in a large enclosure.

No need to keep a hatching in a tiny tub for security. Just give them multiple hides to CHOOSE from. A smaller enclosure is not better, because it gives the snake LESS choices for thermoregulation, potty spots, and exercise. This a rack shelf tub enclosure I pulled out of the rack, to play a little game and demonstrate how to keep a tiny ball python in a larger enclosure. This tub is a 56 quart HOMZ underbed storage tub, with ventilation holes, a 30" x24" floor plan and 5" high walls. Currently I keep all different size/age ball pythons in these size tubs, which are larger than the typical 41 quart, or the CB70 size storage tubs, popularly used in rack shelves for adult ball pythons.
    ALL of the tubs ahem hides, since they are large. The hatchling has a bunch of tiny ones. The subadult has 2 medium hides, the huge 2600 gram female has 2 large hides.

This is a cute video I made, called GUESS THE SNAKE HIDE! In the video you can see that under each hide, there is a small burrow where my Killer Piebald ball python hatchling "Chuck Norris" has bedded. The large hide is commonly used, it is large enough to have a bed on the hot spot, and a bed on the cool side. The other 2 hides are smaller, they have 2 opening and 2 "caves" cut into tiny Tupperware. He was very, very small when I got him and used to use the smaller sides sometimes, he is much bigger now and only uses the larger side of the dual/split hides. He uses every one of them at any given time, depending on thermoregulation and if he recently went potty in or near one of the hides.

Chuck has never had any security issues, or feeding issues since I first purchased him from Justin Kobylka Reptiles, back when he was a wee one, only a couple of months old. He has his little hides, which are just as good, if not better than a tiny tub enclosure, for security.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-16-2018),dakski (02-16-2018),Starscream (02-16-2018),Sunnieskys (02-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Keeping a hatchling happy in a large enclosure.

AMEN Brother!

I have an adult corn, and adult BP, and a 1 1/2 year old BCI, all in 6X2X1' Boaphile tanks. LOTS OF HIDES!

They are fine! They eat well and enjoy being able to move to different temp gradients (and I like being able to easily maintain different temp gradients). I believe that as long as proper hides are given, and external stress in not added (overhanding, too much light, poor husbandry otherwise, etc.) young animals and even shy animals can do fine in a enclosure they can grow into, or more! I ended up with 6X2' enclosures because they are stacked and I needed them all to be as big as they biggest ones. My BTS loves the 6X2' footprint (his tank is taller though to accommodate UVB and basking lights) and my female BCI will need it!

In the wild, they may stay hidden, but they are not enclosed in a tight space either.

I imagine it depends on the animal, but I have had no problems as long as security needs are met.

Good thread!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-17-2018),Starscream (02-16-2018)