Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,757

4 members and 3,753 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New addition Opal

Hubby loved his colors! So I surprised him with it really calm and curious lil fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: New addition Opal

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post

Hubby loved his colors! So I surprised him with it really calm and curious lil fella

Awesome little guy! I have three and plan to post about them ASAP. Been neglecting them on this forum!

Is he your first LG?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Awesome little guy! I have three and plan to post about them ASAP. Been neglecting them on this forum!

Is he your first LG?
    Yep

Thanks

Cool!

I am by no means an expert, but I have 3 females that I got as babies and are 5 now.

They all have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies. Carra refuses to go in her moist hide when shedding (she has some minor toe damage because of it - I can only soak so much), Kayla wants to be left alone, and Cleo wants to come out and play always!

Anyway, if I can be of help in any way, please feel free to PM or post in this thread. Not too many LG people on here. LOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    What's her morph? Tangerine? So pretty!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    What's her morph? Tangerine? So pretty!
    Honestly no flipping clue

Thanks

Cool!

I am by no means an expert, but I have 3 females that I got as babies and are 5 now.

They all have their own personalities and idiosyncrasies. Carra refuses to go in her moist hide when shedding (she has some minor toe damage because of it - I can only soak so much), Kayla wants to be left alone, and Cleo wants to come out and play always!

Anyway, if I can be of help in any way, please feel free to PM or post in this thread. Not too many LG people on here. LOL.
    Awesome, do u use uth or lamp? (Che or red?) Keep the reptile carpet and as they get older switch to something else? I like the sand, but I noticed when we put him in the enclosure that’s all he did was taste EVERYTHING lol. My dragons I’ve never had any issues even when they were younger....never impacted. (Knock on wood) sorry I have a million questions but his warm side measures out at 90 and cooler side 80-83 53% humidity

Thanks

Awesome, do u use uth or lamp? (Che or red?) Keep the reptile carpet and as they get older switch to something else? I like the sand, but I noticed when we put him in the enclosure that’s all he did was taste EVERYTHING lol. My dragons I’ve never had any issues even when they were younger....never impacted. (Knock on wood) sorry I have a million questions but his warm side measures out at 90 and cooler side 80-83 53% humidity

Okay, here goes.

1. They taste everything! You, the surroundings, tank decorations, tank, etc. Make sure everything is clean! If they can reach it, they will taste it! LOL

2. I would not use sand.

3. Red light is fine, if you want to see him, but CHE is also fine. Their night vision is extraordinary.

5. 90 hot side and 80-83 cool side/ambient is perfect.

6. They like belly heat. I use a UTH and RHP in my boaphile enclosure for belly and ambient temps. For a glass tank, I would use a UTH (regulated of course) at about 88-90F on the hot side. Then put the CHE or red light in the middle, so there is a gradient, from 90F down to as low as 78F or so. Warmer on the cool side is fine, but try to keep it between 78-83F.

7. I use printless newspaper for substrate. They leave waste often, but almost always in the same spot. Paper makes it easy to clean and keep clean.

8. Humidity should be lower. 25-40% or so. A red light will help dry it out.

9. They shed often - every 3-4 weeks or so, even as adults. However, you may not see it, because they eat their shed. A) protein, b) predators can't track them down if there is no evidence.

I would put a small Tupperware/plastic dish in the enclosure. Fill it with moss or moist paper towels. Put on the cool side. A small Chinese food soup container would work great (with a door cut out for easy access and egress).

I have a lot of room so I use a bigger container, but still covered, with a door cut out, and full of moist paper towels I change every few days.

This gives them somewhere to go that's cool and moist. They mostly use it in shed, although Cleo tends to spend a lot of time in there. Who knows.

They can have problems shedding easily. Toes are an issue. Very important to have moist hide and check regularly. I soak Carra almost every shed, however, she has had a few toes restricted because of shed. She's stubborn. Will not use moist hide. The other two - no problems. I imagine it's not fun when it happens, but she is no worse for the wear. Eats like a pig and happy as ever.

10. FOOD.

A) Gutload all food. You can buy pellets/bedding for gut loading (I can give links if you want) and also use fruit/potato/carrot, etc. I like the pellets and bedding because they offer a complete diet for the food items, hence a complete diet for you LG.

B) Vitamins are a must. They do not need UV, but need vitamins in their food. Calcium 3X a week and multi vitamin 2X a week. I also leave a dish in the tank with calcium and a little multi vitamin powder mixed in. They know when they need more calcium and will go lick it.

C) Frequency. I feed every other day, sometimes every 3 days as adults. Depends on how quickly they eat the food. In winter, they slow down. In summer, they can be ravenous.

D) Varied diet. Not necessary so much if you are gut loading properly and using vitamins. However, can't hurt and give you flexibility in case one food is hard to get at one point, etc.

I do not feed crickets at all. Tend to be dirty, smelly, and loud.

I DO FEED Dubai roaches (small) as their stable. Very good source of protein, they love them, and they do not smell, climb, etc. and can live for months so you can order in bulk.

I also feed mealworms every 4th feeding or so. They can live on them, but their exo-skelleton is little harder to digest. They also love them and will refuse anything else if you only feed these! Mealworms morph into yucky larvae and then beetles quickly. Only feed the mealworms, not the larvae. Another reason I love dubai roaches.

I occasionally offer phoenix worms and wax worms. They LOVE THESE! They eat right out of my hand! However, only as treats. They will hold out for these and not a good stable diet.

NOTE: Get a mealworm dish - small white dish with plastic cover. It is open in the middle but hard for roaches and mealworms to climb out. Again, can send a link. Some may get out, but no big deal. If Dubai get out they will either get eaten or die. Even if they get out in your house, they need 90% humidity and high temps to breed. So no worries there.

Having the dish makes it easier for your LG and easier for you to monitor food, what's being eaten, etc. Enjoy watching him wag his tail in excitement for food and pound/strike at the food items. Never gets old.

Okay, threw a lot at you.

However, I hope it helps!

Feel free to ask anything else or for clarification! Happy to help!

Thanks

Okay, here goes.

1. They taste everything! You, the surroundings, tank decorations, tank, etc. Make sure everything is clean! If they can reach it, they will taste it! LOL

2. I would not use sand.

3. Red light is fine, if you want to see him, but CHE is also fine. Their night vision is extraordinary.

5. 90 hot side and 80-83 cool side/ambient is perfect.

6. They like belly heat. I use a UTH and RHP in my boaphile enclosure for belly and ambient temps. For a glass tank, I would use a UTH (regulated of course) at about 88-90F on the hot side. Then put the CHE or red light in the middle, so there is a gradient, from 90F down to as low as 78F or so. Warmer on the cool side is fine, but try to keep it between 78-83F.

7. I use printless newspaper for substrate. They leave waste often, but almost always in the same spot. Paper makes it easy to clean and keep clean.

8. Humidity should be lower. 25-40% or so. A red light will help dry it out.

9. They shed often - every 3-4 weeks or so, even as adults. However, you may not see it, because they eat their shed. A) protein, b) predators can't track them down if there is no evidence.

I would put a small Tupperware/plastic dish in the enclosure. Fill it with moss or moist paper towels. Put on the cool side. A small Chinese food soup container would work great (with a door cut out for easy access and egress).

I have a lot of room so I use a bigger container, but still covered, with a door cut out, and full of moist paper towels I change every few days.

This gives them somewhere to go that's cool and moist. They mostly use it in shed, although Cleo tends to spend a lot of time in there. Who knows.

They can have problems shedding easily. Toes are an issue. Very important to have moist hide and check regularly. I soak Carra almost every shed, however, she has had a few toes restricted because of shed. She's stubborn. Will not use moist hide. The other two - no problems. I imagine it's not fun when it happens, but she is no worse for the wear. Eats like a pig and happy as ever.

10. FOOD.

A) Gutload all food. You can buy pellets/bedding for gut loading (I can give links if you want) and also use fruit/potato/carrot, etc. I like the pellets and bedding because they offer a complete diet for the food items, hence a complete diet for you LG.

B) Vitamins are a must. They do not need UV, but need vitamins in their food. Calcium 3X a week and multi vitamin 2X a week. I also leave a dish in the tank with calcium and a little multi vitamin powder mixed in. They know when they need more calcium and will go lick it.

C) Frequency. I feed every other day, sometimes every 3 days as adults. Depends on how quickly they eat the food. In winter, they slow down. In summer, they can be ravenous.

D) Varied diet. Not necessary so much if you are gut loading properly and using vitamins. However, can't hurt and give you flexibility in case one food is hard to get at one point, etc.

I do not feed crickets at all. Tend to be dirty, smelly, and loud.

I DO FEED Dubai roaches (small) as their stable. Very good source of protein, they love them, and they do not smell, climb, etc. and can live for months so you can order in bulk.

I also feed mealworms every 4th feeding or so. They can live on them, but their exo-skelleton is little harder to digest. They also love them and will refuse anything else if you only feed these! Mealworms morph into yucky larvae and then beetles quickly. Only feed the mealworms, not the larvae. Another reason I love dubai roaches.

I occasionally offer phoenix worms and wax worms. They LOVE THESE! They eat right out of my hand! However, only as treats. They will hold out for these and not a good stable diet.

NOTE: Get a mealworm dish - small white dish with plastic cover. It is open in the middle but hard for roaches and mealworms to climb out. Again, can send a link. Some may get out, but no big deal. If Dubai get out they will either get eaten or die. Even if they get out in your house, they need 90% humidity and high temps to breed. So no worries there.

Having the dish makes it easier for your LG and easier for you to monitor food, what's being eaten, etc. Enjoy watching him wag his tail in excitement for food and pound/strike at the food items. Never gets old.

Okay, threw a lot at you.

However, I hope it helps!

Feel free to ask anything else or for clarification! Happy to help!
    Wow that’s a lot, lol but I have a lot of that already set up, it’s just a pain with the humidity cause I’m in Florida and my rooms gradient humidity is at 50ish even with the heat lamp that I have lol, 4bps Boa and two dragons in one room and with my discoids and crickets and now Opal lol I’m get everything dialed in, he’s I. Good hands lol. I also have a Crestie that stays in our bedroom cause it’s cooler the the rest of the house. And then two baby BPs in the living room/office area for QT for the next two months. So in all I have 20 animals lol

Thanks

Wow that’s a lot, lol but I have a lot of that already set up, it’s just a pain with the humidity cause I’m in Florida and my rooms gradient humidity is at 50ish even with the heat lamp that I have lol, 4bps Boa and two dragons in one room and with my discoids and crickets and now Opal lol I’m get everything dialed in, he’s I. Good hands lol. I also have a Crestie that stays in our bedroom cause it’s cooler the the rest of the house. And then two baby BPs in the living room/office area for QT for the next two months. So in all I have 20 animals lol

Wow! 20 animals!

I wouldn't sweat the humidity too much. A little lower would be better, but not quite like a BP where they could get RI easily, etc. More adaptable in that way.

Yeah, I've seen you post before, I know he is in good hands! I just thought I would put everything in here so other LG people could use as a reference too. Plus, applying BP knowledge to LG's doesn't necessarily work too well. LOL. Didn't mean to insult you in any way. Don't doubt your knowledge and desire to do what's right for your animal(s).

Again, here if you need anything or have questions!

Enjoy your little guy, they can be really cool and rewarding animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast