Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,644

0 members and 2,644 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spur?

Registered User Snaketalkpodcast's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Spur?

Queen TSA, proven breeder.
    Currently the queen has a Brown string hanging out of her vent,
    I had to deal with a unfortunately fatal prolapse for my hatchling (got from PetSmart, long story.)
    So I am aware that it isn't exactly a prolapse. Just a piece of string like tissue, of the color brown.

Also is a spur a maturity thing? As my other snakes though hatchlings do not have it, I havent checked my roommates adult male pinstripe but my female adult proven breeder has something.

Unfortunately for the photos, it is a little difficult for me to be around the queen as last time I gave her a roam time my yellow/white snake turned red on her neck. I feel she had a panic attack as she did just arrive in the last two weeks and since that she's been given time to herself to relax
    Just some info
    Last edited by Snaketalkpodcast; 02-15-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Grammar error

Thanks
    Snakes do not have panic attacks lol. They are very simple creatures with no frontal lobe. Take a picture, perhaps we can help. Stop humanizing reptiles.
    Nothing

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ladybugzcrunch For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-15-2018),Snaketalkpodcast (02-18-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Spur?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybugzcrunch View Post
    Snakes do not have panic attacks lol. They are very simple creatures with no frontal lobe. Take a picture, perhaps we can help. Stop humanizing reptiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Snaketalkpodcast (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Spur and respitory?

I've taken a photo, I don't think you understand. Its showing sigh of respitory problems that's what I ment by panic attack, I'm not humanizing the snake 🙄, I'm saying it got stressed out, turned completely red on her neck and started clicking. In my eyes I believed I stressed her out by trying to take a photo and I immediately put her back.

I just got her recentlt and would prefer not to bother her to much until she settles, she's a proven breeder as stated by the seller...

Currently I was told that a spur is always visible, though my roommates adult male does not show signs of a spur, but my girl shows a single sign of a brown string. Photo will be uploaded soon, I know there's many ways, I'm fairly new and have been scouring this forum out for the last 6 months. A lot of helpful information but also a lot of questions.

Thanks

Rude much?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cbaetz78 View Post
    Rude much?
    Your first Post is "Rude much"?
    What does that response have to do with the OP or reply so far? Love all the newbies that never bother to introduce themselves, read a single rule or Sticky and instead start out with nonsense replies in a close nit Forum community ...Clowns.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Spur and respitory?

Quote Originally Posted by Snaketalkpodcast View Post
    I've taken a photo, I don't think you understand. Its showing sigh of respitory problems that's what I ment by panic attack, I'm not humanizing the snake , I'm saying it got stressed out, turned completely red on her neck and started clicking. In my eyes I believed I stressed her out by trying to take a photo and I immediately put her back.

I just got her recentlt and would prefer not to bother her to much until she settles, she's a proven breeder as stated by the seller...

Currently I was told that a spur is always visible, though my roommates adult male does not show signs of a spur, but my girl shows a single sign of a brown string. Photo will be uploaded soon, I know there's many ways, I'm fairly new and have been scouring this forum out for the last 6 months. A lot of helpful information but also a lot of questions.
    Its hard to understand your original Post. I think I understand some of what your saying in the reply though.
    You say you took photos, they are worth a thousand words, please get those up if you want responses to try and help understand something.
    Not sure if your thinking the Spur is a string? On some Balls they are visible & some not or just very small. Spurs on Males are usually larger. They are thought to be from when Snakes had limbs at one time. Males use them to tickle the female while trying to breed. This forum is great and I don't think anyone can respond to this without understanding or seeing whats going on. As far as a RI you need to get to a Vet. There is nothing really we can suggest except turn up the heat a little (93/94 Hot Spot). You will need a vet to test for what type of RI it is as it takes different meds depending on if Viral or Bacterial etc...
    As far as a snake turning red, ive never heard this in 30 years.. Maybe its Pink because its getting ready to shed?
    A lot if odd descriptions that Are hard to respond to here I'm sorry.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yeah, sorry OP. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to explain either. Without pictures I'm at a loss. I've got some years under my belt keeping snakes and have never heard of them "turning red" on the spot. I've seen pink bellies develop over the course of a day or two, which implies an upcoming shed, but nothing like what you're describing.

As far as the "panic attack" goes snakes don't get panic attacks. You did kinda correct that in your reply, but I still think you're a little confused. A stressed snake will tend to show signs of heavy breathing (you can see the expansion and decompression of the lungs), quick, frequent tongue flicks and lots of quick, deliberate movements in the snake. But no redness should occur.

Lastly, regarding the string/spurs thing, no clue without pictures.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I tried to answer what I could given the info available.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question Re: Spur and Respitory?

As far as vets go, there out of my way, but are possible for the future. As someone who wants to be a reptile breeder, I have chosen to move to Montreal as there is word of a reptile medical there, I'm still looking for vets close to me and hoping one of my friends would be willing to drive for a agreed upon price

As far as the "panic attack" all I can really say is, she looked like she couldn't breathe and then her neck turned red, it scared me a lot so I put her back in her home. Should be noted she has a spider gene and a slight wobble aswell as corckscrewed. (Not that this helps with anything. But add to the confusion)

As far as RI goes I've read enough forms to understand that if I treat her now, I could be killing all my other snakes if I dont have a culture on what (I believe the word is strain) Bacterial, Fungal, Parasite, Viral,l, I feel like there's one more.

As for the photos I heard Imgur was a great choice and also saw a recent form post on the top ten choices for publishing. I apologies for the long wait, I've been in contact with the breeder, they stated that it might be a spur (keep there) or secretion gland that I can slowly pulled off (???).
    (Also sorry for the constant as far as, lol I see that I use that a lot.)

Thanks again Matty.

Thanks

Photo of spur or dried secretion gland

Spur or secretion gland https://imgur.com/gallery/nPrQ1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast