Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,153

2 members and 3,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Re: Herpstat Power Output % (have you played with this)

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Hey Reinz, by the way did you notice its me "Mr Sully" (Chris) .. Just as i was coming back after my work season you were MIA.
    I had the Username changed since. The last time I talked to you you were waiting on AP enclosures and Surgery. Hows the Healing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was confused about your identity at first. Then I saw the pic in your signature and figured it out.

Healing is coming along slowly since we last talked, thank you. I’m still waiting on the AP’s, surprise, surprise.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-17-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I was confused about your identity at first. Then I saw the pic in your signature and figured it out.

Healing is coming along slowly since we last talked, thank you. I’m still waiting on the AP’s, surprise, surprise.
    I guess we learned good things come to those who wait

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Herpstat Power Output % (have you played with this)

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Just incase anyone is interested. I caught some lip from a couple people about my "Bigger is Better" theory on RHP panels. With that said let me say that if you do not run a Top of the Line Tstat then they are right and I never suggested this idea was for everybody. I Only suggested this was best for me because I control the Power OutPut on my Herpstats if its to much for the enclosure.
    After 24 hrs, my 150 Watt, RHP is running 1/2 the time the 88 Watt panel was. This 150 watt panel is the same Temp to the touch, but more BTU's per Sq inch. With all that said it has lowered the Hotspot temp in the enclosure above by not running wide open 24/7 at 100% power to reach the target temp like the 88watt was. It adjusts itself from 65%-90% and then shuts off. It stayed off during the day for up to 8 min (0%) and came back on at about 65% to keep things regulated then shut back down.
    At 3am when the house was 62 the HotSide temp stayed perfect and the cool side never went below 78.7. It still [shut] down but not as long as during the day.
    If you have a proportional Tstat and a Larger enclosure (bigger than T10's up like T12's T25) then I suggest the larger RHP's. I think it runs less & if you have Stacks it doesnt heat up the other enclosures to much like the smaller RHP's did running Wide open 24/7.
    I was able to remove the insulation barrier between the enclosures because the larger RHP isnt running at 180 to get to the target temps and in return heating the crap out of the floors above... Instead the Hot Spot above had measured 90.2-91.5 in the last 24hrs without the 2 pieces if 1/2" insulation board.. Pretty Cool. Im very happy.

Your bigger theory makes sense to me. Here’s why;
    when I was running tanks and heat bulbs for many years, a typical bulb running 24/7 would last one month, maybe three, and if all of the stars and planets were aligned, I’d get six months.

Since I was running 5-6 tanks, I stocked up on bulbs, especially since weather changes would require changing bulbs. I ended up having more bulbs on hand than most pet stores!

Then I discovered the table top dimmer. I found that if used the highest wattage bulbs dimmed down to 30-50% they lasted indefinitely. I never had a burnt out bulb for well over year or year and a half before I switched to PVC enclosures. It would have been interesting to see just how long those bulbs would have lasted.

Now let’s see , what am I going to do with all of these bulbs now?

Old pics before I switched over to PVC

Last edited by Eric Alan; 02-17-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Typo creating accidental censor trip
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-17-2018),Godzilla78 (02-17-2018)

Thanks

Yeah in the end Id rather have more than I need and just tone it down a little than struggle when the Central Air comes on or we get -20 temps at night like we had for almost a week in January. Yes you can cover the enclosures with a Blanket, thats worked really good.. But I dont like to do that to a display.. I love seeing how nice it looks whenever I walk bye them...
    Now as far as those Bulbs Reinz, you can never have to many lol. I just changed 8 in the house here and now need more to have on hand. Heck each Fixture these days has 2-4 bulbs.
    So how many bulbs are you selling and a price to Ship to NY hahahhhhhahaha

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Sorry if I was not clear, those are the red color and white color HEAT bulbs. Not regular house bulbs.

I feel ya, when the kids were living here as well as the ex, I was changing bulbs once or twice a week. Sure gets old AND expensive.

One more thing, I bought a bunch of bulbs from the Blind folks that have a 5 year guarantee. A few barely made a year. But then I have some going on 20 years now! I reckon I got my money’s worth.

Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    On top of what Jacob said, i think running at a lower power would also keep the heat source on longer to function almost like a basking set up vs running full power and power heating to the set temp and then turning off with no heat. I might be wrong but that is how i figure it. You can also just email Dion at Spyder Robotics and I'm sure he would explain it. With all that said, i just run mine at 100%.....but then again i only use flexwatt for everyone except Pat. And i have his CHE set to 84F anyways as a GTP doesnt need that hot of temps. If he didnt use the CHE after eating, i probably just wouldnt use any heat as the room stays around 77-80F anyways.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    On top of what Jacob said, i think running at a lower power would also keep the heat source on longer to function almost like a basking set up vs running full power and power heating to the set temp and then turning off with no heat. I might be wrong but that is how i figure it. You can also just email Dion at Spyder Robotics and I'm sure he would explain it. With all that said, i just run mine at 100%.....but then again i only use flexwatt for everyone except Pat. And i have his CHE set to 84F anyways as a GTP doesnt need that hot of temps. If he didnt use the CHE after eating, i probably just wouldnt use any heat as the room stays around 77-80F anyways.
    Im having fun trying all kinds of things Sauzo. Last night I lowered the Power and it did run continuously but at a Lower (to touch/Lasered) Temp. Both ways are actually really valuable depending on the Species and or your Set-up style. (single/stacks etc..)
    So from this point on I'll stick with larger RHP's and the key I think to all of this is a Quality TSTAT that allows you all this control like your output power.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-18-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12