Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

3 members and 3,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Herpstat Power Output % (have you played with this)

Im wondering if anyone has lowered the power % on a Herpstat to reach your temps without your heat source running wide open. When my heat source is running on 100% it reaches 200° then once its at Target Temp Herpstats (on proportional function) lower the power percent to maintain that temp.. What if i lower the Herpstat to 70-80% power output, in my mind that would get to the target temp slower however not raise the Heat Source temp itself up so high, say 150* instead of 200*? Does this sound right to you Herpstat owners or would this be the same as just running a lower wattage Heat Source?
    Im installing some new Panels and fixing up a Enclosure thats no longer in use so Im playing around with ideas. The reason behind it, I'm thinking about putting my T12's ontop of the 8' enclosure eventually and im trying to lower the heat transfer temps going up to the Floor above by running the element at a lower Output below.
    Creating a Hot Spot above of 90 is fine which is what my T12 RHP's do at 100% but the Large RHP for the 8' enclosure is twice the Power making the floor above over 100.

(I already use 1" foam insulation and 4'x30"steel sheets so not looking for any ideas except on the Herpstat function I mentioned). Thanks peeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: Herpstat Power Output % (have you played with this)

Always feels like Christmas when you were 12 yrs old when you get goodies in the mail

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I keep mine at 100%/default but I would guess if you have an oversized RHP that is more than needed for the enclosure, capping the power outage (percent power) would be a good way to keep it restricted from running at full power and possibly getting the surface temp too hot on the RHP surface?

Neither of my RHPs ever got above 140 degrees at the surface so I don't worry all that much. If your larger one is hitting surface temps of 200 maybe play with the restriction setting and see if you can still get temps you want at a capped power?
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I keep mine at 100%/default but I would guess if you have an oversized RHP that is more than needed for the enclosure, capping the power outage (percent power) would be a good way to keep it restricted from running at full power and possibly getting the surface temp too hot on the RHP surface?

Neither of my RHPs ever got above 140 degrees at the surface so I don't worry all that much. If your larger one is hitting surface temps of 200 maybe play with the restriction setting and see if you can still get temps you want at a capped power?
    Yup I wanted to make sure how im thinking makes sense hahahaha. Sometimes if you go over something to much your Logical thinking goes out the window like smoke.. Lol. Ive had it going for a hour now and its staying steady at 155-160 at 80%. Its a 150 watt panel and its going in the 8' enclosure so im trying to keep the temp down so it created a good Hot Spot above.. Right now the hotspot in the enclose above is 92.3...(with 1" foam board and a 2'x4' piece of stainless steel between). Using the laser I'm getting 89-92 so i think this is safe. I'll run it 24hrs to make sure.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I’ve wondered the same the Calm. But I am electronically challenged. I’m lucky that I was able to get my heat dialed in as it is.

If I had to do heat drops or alarms I would be “up creek....”
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I run my PH125 at 65% power so it doesn't get the hotspot too hot while the cool side gets up to temp. Seems to provide a more consistent and gentler heat imo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I run my PH125 at 65% power so it doesn't get the hotspot too hot while the cool side gets up to temp. Seems to provide a more consistent and gentler heat imo

Thats exactly what this Post is about, thank you!! Right now Ive changed Percent a couple times but I was thinking about it all wrong. The Pro Panels no matter what the Wattage only heat up so much to the touch to protect the animal and I was running a 88watt, 110 watt & 150 watt all on my table trying to test them with a Laser hahahaha. Spent 1/2 the day pissed that they were all 188-198 Degrees. I called Bob to ask him what his advice was and he explained the wattage has to do with the surface Temp of the Panel itself but instead with BTU per Sq inch a RHP outs out. Well make a long story short running the PH125 at 80% is warming the cool side perfect without boiling the Hot Side. This is one of the reasons I love Herpstat. Being able to control all these things really makes a difference. Tomorrow I will clean this mess up I've made in the room and get everything back against the walls hahahaha

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Thats exactly what this Post is about, thank you!! Right now Ive changed Percent a couple times but I was thinking about it all wrong. The Pro Panels no matter what the Wattage only heat up so much to the touch to protect the animal and I was running a 88watt, 110 watt & 150 watt all on my table trying to test them with a Laser hahahaha. Spent 1/2 the day pissed that they were all 188-198 Degrees. I called Bob to ask him what his advice was and he explained the wattage has to do with the surface Temp of the Panel itself but instead with BTU per Sq inch a RHP outs out. Well make a long story short running the PH125 at 80% is warming the cool side perfect without boiling the Hot Side. This is one of the reasons I love Herpstat. Being able to control all these things really makes a difference. Tomorrow I will clean this mess up I've made in the room and get everything back against the walls hahahaha

Typo - " I called Bob to ask him what his advice was and he explained the wattage DOESN NOT HAVE TO DO with the surface Temp of the Panel itself but instead with BTU per Sq inch the RHP PUTS out.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    I’ve wondered the same the Calm. But I am electronically challenged. I’m lucky that I was able to get my heat dialed in as it is.

If I had to do heat drops or alarms I would be “up creek....”
    Hey Reinz, by the way did you notice its me "Mr Sully" (Chris) .. Just as i was coming back after my work season you were MIA.
    I had the Username changed since. The last time I talked to you you were waiting on AP enclosures and Surgery. Hows the Healing?

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Just incase anyone is interested. I caught some lip from a couple people about my "Bigger is Better" theory on RHP panels. With that said let me say that if you do not run a Top of the Line Tstat then they are right and I never suggested this idea was for everybody. I Only suggested this was best for me because I control the Power OutPut on my Herpstats if its to much for the enclosure.
    After 24 hrs, my 150 Watt, RHP is running 1/2 the time the 88 Watt panel was. This 150 watt panel is the same Temp to the touch, but more BTU's per Sq inch. With all that said it has lowered the Hotspot temp in the enclosure above by not running wide open 24/7 at 100% power to reach the target temp like the 88watt was. It adjusts itself from 65%-90% and then shuts off. It stayed off during the day for up to 8 min (0%) and came back on at about 65% to keep things regulated then shut back down.
    At 3am when the house was 62 the HotSide temp stayed perfect and the cool side never went below 78.7. It still [shut] down but not as long as during the day.
    If you have a proportional Tstat and a Larger enclosure (bigger than T10's up like T12's T25) then I suggest the larger RHP's. I think it runs less & if you have Stacks it doesnt heat up the other enclosures to much like the smaller RHP's did running Wide open 24/7.
    I was able to remove the insulation barrier between the enclosures because the larger RHP isnt running at 180 to get to the target temps and in return heating the crap out of the floors above... Instead the Hot Spot above had measured 90.2-91.5 in the last 24hrs without the 2 pieces if 1/2" insulation board.. Pretty Cool. Im very happy.

Last edited by Eric Alan; 02-17-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Typo creating accidental censor trip
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-17-2018),GoingPostal (02-17-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast