Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,870

0 members and 2,870 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I have a question as well, is it truly recommended to take a snake that just went through shipping and put it into a water filled tub for 18 hours ?? As a mite treatment?

I have never heard of that, but you learn something every day...

Isn't that stressful to the snake? Even if the water isn't high? How can you make sure they can thermo regulate that way or that the temp will be correct ? Even with heat tape underneath, how do you control that ??

With the snake not completely submerged in the water, how does that even kill the mites? They already love to be on the face and around the nostrils and heat pits, won't they just move to the parts of the snake that stick out of the water ?? I know fleas do that when you try to drown them on kittens and pups. Never works that well.

Honestly just curious, I don't think I would be comfortable subjecting a "just shipped" snake to this kind of stress. Not to mention, the mites would crawl onto the dry areas of the snake, and possibly on the sides of the tub and up and out of it, wouldn't they ??

btw. not meant as criticism, I know you only did what you were told to do by the seller, I'm just questioning the sellers solution..
    Last edited by zina10; 02-19-2018 at 01:23 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Re: Metcalf Reptiles Knowingly Shipped My SD Retics With Mites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I have a question as well, is it truly recommended to take a snake that just went through shipping and put it into a water filled tub for 18 hours ?? As a mite treatment?

Isn't that stressful to the snake? Even if the water isn't high? How can you make sure they can thermo regulate that way or that the temp will be correct ? Even with heat tape underneath, how do you control that ??

With the snake not completely submerged in the water, how does that even kill the mites? They already love to be on the face and around the nostrils and heat pits, won't they just move to the parts of the snake that stick out of the water ?? I know fleas do that when you try to drown them on kittens and pups. Never works that well.

Honestly just curious, I don't think I would be comfortable subjecting a "just shipped" snake to this kind of stress. Not to mention, the mites would crawl onto the dry areas of the snake, and possibly on the sides of the tub and up and out of it, wouldn't they ??

btw. not meant as criticism, I know you only did what you were told to do by the seller, I'm just questioning the sellers solution..
    My thoughts were exactly the same about taking the poor things out of the box after going through all the stress of shipping and everything and sticking them right into a soak tub. As it turned out, I basically just left them in there until I had my snake room and all the tubs and racks treated, which ultimately ended up taking about 14 hours. Both of the Metcalf brothers advised me to leave them in there for 12 - 18 hours and Joseph Metcalf said that's what they always do when they find a snake with mites. I suppose on one hand it's better than exposing them to chemicals at least. I don't know... Everyone in the reptile community has their way of doing things and their own belief systems. The important thing is everything seems to be fine with these new arrivals. They seem to be perfectly healthy and I still haven't seen any trace of mites on them or in their enclosures or in any of my other animals enclosures. Now that they're starting to get settled in a little and warmed up the male's little attitude is starting to show... lol He was sweet as can be for the first 2 days, but he kept taking pops at me yesterday when I tried to take him out. So, i'm going to give him a few more days before I start pushing the issue and working with him. I can't wait to get some good pictures of these two to share with you guys, though. They're just incredible!

As far as putting Metcalf Reptiles on blast. I fully intended to, because knowingly shipping snakes with mites out to customers is most definitely NOT cool and extremely irresponsible and definitely not a very smart way to make a good name for yourself! I guess i'm just too nice, though. I'm just glad Aaron told me before they actually got here for what it was worth. At least I had some time to get a plan together and prepare, which was A LOT of work!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    A gallon of diluted Nix can be made for about $20.00 less than a can of Provent A Mite and it can even be sprayed directly on the snakes where Provent A Mite can't...

Not sure i would want to put it on my snakes. Like i mentioned, Nix and PAM both have the same active ingredient which is Permethrin. So if PAM isnt safe to put on a snake, i wouldnt want to put Nix on my snake either.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

Never heard that deal before. I just have a 20 gallon tank set up for quarantine in another room and just pre treat it with PAM and wipe down the rims of the tank and the table it sits on. You will know of you got mites pretty quick if you use white paper towels as you will see dead ones lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-19-2018)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456