Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,643

0 members and 2,643 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Metcalf Reptiles Knowingly Shipped My SD Retics With Mites!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    So here I sit outside of my FedEx hub, on my way in to pick up... you guessed it! A snake from Metcalf. Here’s hoping, since I didn’t get a mite email. I do have quarantine and pretreat. I just hope my new noodle is clean. Crap!!!!
    Oh jeeez... I wish you the best! I would definitely be extra careful and cautious for sure! When I was talking to Joseph on the phone he told me how long it had been since they were able to ship any snakes out, because of the weather and how they shipped a ton of them out yesterday. I was wondering how many other people will be receiving mites on their doorsteps today... What did you get from them, by the way?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    0.1 25% Kalatoa GC het purple

Sterilite bin is P-A-M’d. My girl is Reptile Spray’d. I saw no evidence of mites on the bag or on the paper towel I used to wipe her down. She’s staying in my bedroom for the next few months. I totally hope I dodged a bullet. But now I feel all itchy; I’m sure it’s psychsomatic. Keep your new ones separate if at all possible. If you absolutely can’t, then treat everyone... but you have quite the herd!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (02-19-2018)

Thanks
    Yes... Everyone and everything in my snake room is getting thoroughly treated as we speak! One other less than professional thing about the way mine were shipped is they were placed in the same bag. Any time i've ever received more than one snake they were always shipped in separate bags. Not that being in separate bags would have likely prevented the other one from getting mites, but it definitely struck me as even more careless, considering he KNEW the other one had mites...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

L.West (02-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

wow unbelievable! he blatantly (brazenly?) sent u a snake w/ mites?! (Edit: Eeewwwww!! just saw they were shipped in the same bag too; might as well consider both of them have it now. )

i dealt w/ mites twice - my 1st BP and 2ndly my BEL unicorn. soak, wipe off, Reptile Spray on the snakes, PAM on enclosures, use as directed, decor, etc. keep them on white paper, QT, QT and QT! my skin still crawls thinking about mites.

are u still gonna write an alert or thread about this breeder/seller and your experience over at the Fauna BOI? i think everyone did a good job of helping out here but it would also be helpful to alert the larger reptile community (esp. a forum for buying and selling). i think the BOI is accountability and it either helps whips breeders and sellers into shape and/or weeds out the baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Here are some other thoughts to consider about the whole quarantine subject... Suppose you already have other recent arrivals sitting in quarantine and you get another new arrival (or multiple new arrivals) and it has mites, parasites, IBD or whatever other disease... Whether that new arrival is placed in your primary snake room or with the other quarantined animals there is going to be a possibility that it could spread to other animals either way. So, what's the point? Does it come down to choosing which animals you would prefer to risk having become infected and which ones you do not? I'm pretty sure most people don't have separate rooms throughout their house for quarantining each individual animal in for 3 - 6 months at a time, nor do I think most people limit themselves to only getting one new animal every few months, so it can be quarantined by itself. The only semi-feasible solution I can think of for myself during the winter months would be to quarantine new arrivals on the opposite side of my snake room. But, would that really be accomplishing anything? Just some things to think about...
    i think Art Gecko did a fantastic job in post #27. essentially protect the colony and QT resets if any new animals are introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Guess I am the only one that doesn't feel mites as something to reject a reptile over. Mites happen and even the best breeder can have them and ship them. They are so easy to clear up in quarantine, I would not even worry about it.

Oh and PAM cooking spray is a horrible and harmful means to do anything to a snake. Not only is it bad for you, it is bad for the snake's scales and not even close to a rational approach to curing anything. It would be like huffing lysol to cure your cold.
    maybe for a small collection but i still believe it's easier said than done. it can take just one vector, one misstep in treatment or QT to have an outbreak. i've only dealt w/ mites twice but still pre-treat and QT all new arrivals, preemptively PAM once in awhile still, "treat" substrate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Thanks once again to all of you for your care and concern. I really appreciate all of you here at the forum! So, these guys showed up today and other than knowing they have mites they seem to be perfectly vibrant and healthy. And, OMG! They are absolutely stunningly beautiful! I'm already in love with 13 other snakes, but just... WOW! I have them all settled in for their looooong soak and i'm getting ready to start treating my entire snake room from top to bottom and hoping for the best. I'll keep you guys posted...

Thanks again!
    i cant' wait to see the pix!

good luck! keep us updated.
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-15-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (02-15-2018)

Thanks

Is it recommended to occasionally spray cages with PAM as a preventative?? Just curious if there is any benefit??
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    Is it recommended to occasionally spray cages with PAM as a preventative?? Just curious if there is any benefit??
    I would not, permethrin poisoning does cause neuro damage in snakes so why take the risk if it's not needed?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-16-2018),dakski (02-17-2018),L.West (02-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    now and then when doing deep cleans, air out before reintroducing any animals. something i read from Brian Gundy.

Edit: i also freeze my substrate for at least 72hours when it's brought home.
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-15-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

L.West (02-15-2018)

Thanks
    So... I spent all day and all night on Thursday washing, drying, treating then drying again every one of my snake's tubs and my racks. It literally took until 8:00 am the next morning, because it takes so long for the RID to dry once it's sprayed on. I also substituted newspaper in all enclosures with treated paper towels temporarily, so I can keep a close eye out for any signs of mites. So far, so good! I haven't seen any trace of mites anywhere! Since I don't use substrate I will be placing all animals into freshly treated tubs as needed and using paper towels for at least a month. I've been wanting to switch to butcher's paper or something anyway, because I don't like how newspaper tends to stain my animal's undersides and newpaper looks shabby, anyway. So, this will give me time to find a cheap source. Honestly, I wish I could just keep using paper towels, but that would get really expensive with so many animals, unfortunately...

I soaked the new arrivals in water for about 14 hours, dried them off, rubbed them down with Germ X hand sanitizer from head to tail and placed them in their new treated homes and they are doing great! I have had them out a couple times each and they are sweet as can be so far and beautiful beyond words! There is no question about who the new king and queen of my snake room are! lol I still can't get over how tiny (but healthy) these guys are for being almost a year old! The female actually shed last night, so she will be being moved into a freshly treated tub as soon as the RID finishes drying shortly and her old skin has been discarded outside. I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to rub her right back down with Germ X again since she shed? What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Hi Aedryan, I bought a big roll of brown “builders paper” after learning from J Kobylka they newspaper ink can sometimes stain white snakes a little. I got a huge roll of 36” wide plain brown builders paper at hone depot for cheap. Definitely used nothing but plain paper when my snake had mites a couple years ago. Changed the paper daily and cleaned out the enclosure until I knew they were gone for good.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-17-2018 at 04:39 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (02-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Hi Aedryan, I bought a big roll of brown “builders paper” after learning from J Kobylka they newspaper ink can sometimes stain white snakes a little. I got a huge roll of 36” wide plain brown builders paper at hone depot for cheap. Definitely used nothing but plain paper when my snake had mites a couple years ago. Changed the paper daily and cleaned out the enclosure until I knew they were gone for good.
    I'm pretty sure that's the same exact stuff that my local breeder friend uses. That is probably what i'll end up using if I can't find something feasible that is white. I would prefer white only because it would make a much better backdrop for taking quick pics of my snakes in their tubs, etc. That's one of the reasons why I don't post more photos and why I haven't begun making videos for my Youtube channel yet. Newspaper just looks so shabby and amateur-ish and the ink definitely stains their bellys. I like paper towels a lot, because it is absorbent and it provides a little cushioning for the animals. It doesn't stay put for my larger snakes, though and using the good Bounty stuff i'm using right now would get really expensive...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast