Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 506

0 members and 506 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

VBBs - hard to care for?

I've been interested in getting a VBB for a while now. In searching the internet I've located a wonderful breeder at Zerkle Reptile Co. as well as great resources for enclosures and such, but I've also heard some things that worry me.

According to a few threads I saw on Reddit (not the best resource, I know), VBBs and other beauty snakes are harder to care for than many other colubrids. While I understand this to an extent due to behaviour and needing to be handled when young to avoid aggression (which is still not guaranteed), it's also been said that they have 'super specific temperature requirements' and will randomly drop dead?

Um, what? Is there any truth to that, or should I stop worrying? I was certain VBB temperature requirements were much like corn snakes, and sometimes didn't even need a temperature gradient. In fact, I've seen it said that too high of heat can cause regurgitation issues. If I'm wrong and should know anything else before ordering the snake, please let me know.
    Last edited by hecho_en_japon; 02-15-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    0.1 Ghost Pied Corn Snake ◦ Nessie
    1.0 Mystic Potion Ball Python ◦ Jacques

Thanks

Re: VBBs - hard to care for?

Yes, their ideal temperature range is lower than a lot of other species, and overheating can harm them. OTOH, my husband’s VBB lives in our un-air-conditioned house in NE Illinois, where the summer temperatures definitely get into the 90s, and he seems fine (long-term I want to move him to the bedroom, where there’s air-conditioning in summer). He does have a radiant heat panel, but IIRC it’s only set for lower to mid 80s (not at home to check and for some reason I don’t have it in my spreadsheet, but the basking temp I have listed for the king ratsnake/stinking goddess is 82-ish, and IIRC the VBB is about the same). I do not buy randomly dropping dead, unless people are doing something very wrong!

Our VBB was pretty shy as a little guy, hiding a lot either by burrowing or in hides. Now that he’s a big beast he’s out and about all the time, loves his jungle gym, and a busybody about watching what’s going on outside his enclosure (2’ x 4’ x 3’ tall).

I’ve only found one print book, and very few useful websites, with VBB information. The book is German, and I haven’t revived my very-rusty German to plow through it with the help of a dictionary yet.

Rob and Amy Zerkle are wonderful people, they breed and raise a lot of beautiful old-world ratsnakes. My husband’s VBB and king ratsnake are both from Zerkle. If you’re in doubt, go with what they say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (02-22-2018),MissterDog (06-19-2019),Starscream (02-15-2018)

Registered User CharlotteCerise's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey there! I've had my VBB for a year now. She does just fine with temps of 75 for the cool side and 82 for the warm side. I keep the humidity at 60%-70%, though I hear they thrive at a range of humidity levels. She is active and has never missed a meal, always has perfect sheds, and shows no signs of sickness. She has never regurgitated, either. Personally, I find her very easy to take care of. I've never had a different beauty snake, but to me she's as easy to keep as my ball python, she just needs a bigger enclosure (I keep her in a Christmas tree tub). If you read up on some care sheets, I think you'll find that they are not too hard to keep healthy. Don't let people scare you off- I only had about 7 months of snake experience before I got my girl and I've never had to tweak the way I keep her. I doubt any dropped dead "randomly." Maybe it was parasites or bad husbandry, but animals don't just drop dead.

Some good things about these snakes: Very active and fun to watch! They like to explore and appreciate climbing. They are fast when handling and keep you on your toes. They are simply beautiful, and once they have calmed down and stop being defensive, they are very fun to interact with and take pictures of. They are intelligent and you can tell a lot about how they are feeling by looking at their body language. They are vocal snakes, and will hiss and puff at you, much like blood pythons. I find it amusing.

In short, I'd say they are hardier than you think, and to me, I think their attitude is a nice change from my more docile snakes.

Also, I got mine from a man who originally bought her from the Zerkles. She is a high quality animal with a nice steely, sometimes even sky blue coloration, depending on if she just shed. I think she's absolutely gorgeous, so even though I didn't buy her from the Zerkles directly, I can definitely say they produce truly gorgeous specimens.

I hope this was helpful to you!
    Last edited by CharlotteCerise; 03-07-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    0.0.1 Pastel Ball Python "Mocha"
    0.0.1 Colombian Rainbow Boa Het. Leucistic "Aurora"
    0.1 Vietnamese Blue Beauty "Jelly"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlotteCerise For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (06-19-2019),Starscream (03-07-2018)