Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Is it common practice for reptile vets to probe at your request?

I was researching reptiles vets today just for general checkup purposes in the future or if an emergency situation would arise and I started making a few calls to registered veterinarians on the ARAV (Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians) database. I have the recommendation of a qualified vet but he is approximately two hours away, so I figured ....."Well, if I can find someone equally as qualified, but closer to me it's a win-win".

I contacted a vet that was approximately 20 minutes away from me and the receptionist informed me that two docs deal with reptiles at this particular clinic. I asked laundry list of questions that would satisfy my checklist for a quality vet that deals with snakes. So I asked, "do these doctors probe?" I was told no and given no explanation. This seemed fishy to me, but maybe it's common practice?

Let it be known that I do know how to probe/pop but it makes me nervous, I simply don't like doing it if I can leave it to more experienced hands. I've been told male/female by the breeders I purchase from (and trust) but I feel it's always a good thing to double, if not triple check.....If I'm paying the $60 some odd bucks for a check up, and the vet KNOWS what he/she is doing....why not have them check?

What are your experiences?
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-14-2018 at 05:15 PM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Hmmm good question, I'm not really sure. I've used 2 vets over the years for my snakes and neither has probed any of them but I also never asked them to. I know the vet my bf's dad uses will probe when asked. I'm interested to hear other's experiences. Maybe the receptionist didn't understand the question and thought you meant 'probe into your life' or something? Did she go ask the vet when you were on the phone or just say no? You may want to call back and get clarification.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 02-14-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: i cannot spell
    For the Horde!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

KevinK (02-14-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probing and Popping are basics so if a vet told me they did not, I would be a little suspicious regarding the so called knowledge. If you go there and ask to have your snake probe they should do it (for a fee of course)

I have said this before but a vet near me who claims to see exotics and snake in particular diagnosed one of my friend's snake with septicemia when the animal was going through shed

Not all vet are honest, pretty much like in any profession there are the good ones and bad ones and those that will make it sound like they have experience when they do not and most of the time it works until they meet with an owner that has more knowledge than they do.

If you don't have the knowledge I am fine with that I just want honesty, my vet is honest I actually am the one that taught her how to sex a snake.

So yeah "we deal with reptiles" does not mean much those days, they deal with everything the real question is do you have some serious hand on experience.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 02-14-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-14-2018),GoingPostal (02-14-2018),KevinK (02-14-2018),the_rotten1 (02-14-2018),wolfy-hound (02-14-2018)

Thanks

Re: Is it common practice for reptile vets to probe at your request?

I asked specifically, "Now, just so I know, do these particular vets probe or determine if a snake is male or female" (I clarified because she sounded a little confused when I said "probe" but I had no doubts she knew was I was talking about).....then the receptionist went to ask the vets , then she picked up again and said "They do not". No explanation.
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-14-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Probing and Popping are basics so if a vet told me they did not, I would be a little suspicious regarding the so called knowledge. If you go there and ask to have your snake probe they should do it (for a fee of course)

I have said this before but a vet near me who claims to see exotics and snake in particular diagnosed one of my friend's snake with septicemia when the animal was going through shed

Not all vet are honest, pretty much like in any profession there are the good ones and bad ones and those that will make it sound like they have experience when they do not and most of the time it works until they meet with an owner that has more knowledge than they do.

If you don't have the knowledge I am fine with that I just want honesty, my vet is honest I actually am the one that taught her how to sex a snake.

So yeah "we deal with reptiles" does not mean much those days, they deal with everything the real question is do you have some serious hand on experience.
    Thanks for the feedback on this Deb, I had hoped the questions I was asking would reveal what their level of expertise was but this seemed like a red flag to me as well. The organization affiliation I thought would have lead me in the right direction, but I'm understanding what you're saying. On to make some more cold calls.

Thanks

If you asked "do they" vs "are they able to" or "will they upon request", it could still be a lost in translation issue, especially if the receptionist didn't really understand. It would be possible for the answer to be "we don't do this as part of a standard exam" vs "we can't or won't do that."

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Any vet that works with snakes should know how to probe. Personally I'd keep looking. If you were close to me I'd probe for you. I bought a bunch of breeder females and one turned out to be a male, I didn't find out until I put two males together during breeding season and there was a snake fight going on in the tub that shook the whole rack LOL. Maybe even a pet store could probe for you, or find a local breeder. Or maybe a specialized reptile pet store that raises and sells ball pythons. I know 'Scales and Tails' in Denver breeds and sells their own ball pythons, you might find something similar near you.