Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

1 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Repeating RI, urgent..

Hello,

I have a repeated problem with my Ball python (male). I have him about six month and he had several times RI. Unfortunately he had it when I bought him at terraristic market (like Hamm). He was cured with Baytril. But after two monhts there was another problem (another RI) - again cured with Baytril. And about month ago another problem - I went to the vet and he recommended nebulization with desinfection F10 and after that it looks much better. Finally after almost two months he ate and defecated. But this Saturday it started all over again - and it look very bad. Lots of saliva and I see he has very serious problem with breathing (has his head up and make noises when is breathing, just like many bubbles in his lungs). We went to the vet and she take sample to see if it's viral. I put him in a quarantine box and there is about 94F except one colder spot.

My question is...I have the opportunity to make lung wash and apply antibiotics to breathe better (he is breathing really bad). But I dont know if I should do it because we dont know what happened when there are no results yet. And I know it is very stressfull for an animal.

What would you do?

In his terrarium he had the following conditions
    Right side 81FC, left side 90F, humidity 60%, 120x60x60, disinfected and regularly changed substrate.

Thank you. And sorry for my bad english :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Your English is just fine ! I'm German and English is my second language, too ..

Sounds like you are doing all you can for your little snake. Shame on whoever took the poor baby to be sold while it was sick..

Unfortunately, a Upper Respiratory infection that keeps coming back despite treatment can be a symptom of a bigger problem. The only thing you can do is try to figure out what causes it, whether it is bacterial, viral or fungal. It seems your Vet is running tests, so that is great.

I would think if antibiotics helped him before, you could give him some now while you await the test results. But call the Vet first, and see what they would like you to do..

I hope its nothing viral or one of the diseases for which there is no cure. If it ends up being that way, you certainly did nothing wrong.

Maybe you just need to switch medications, sometimes a "bug" is resistant to some antibiotics and its hard to eradicate them. Baytril is not always the best solution, I'm almost certain that there are better options. I'm not 100% what its called or used for, but there is a antibiotic out there that has to be kept frozen until you administer it (right after it becomes liquid again). I hear it works wonderfully.

Make sure you run a culture to know exactly what you are dealing with and then discuss other medications and whether they may be a better option.

Good luck
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Repeating RI, urgent..

OP, I'm glad to hear the treatments helped your little buddy!!! I've got no experience with RI so didn't chime in til now. But I'm glad to hear your snake is doing well. Thanks for the update!!

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Your English is just fine ! I'm German and English is my second language, too ..
    Random side note: Zina, I wish we could hear your voice and accent (assuming you still have the german accent) while reading your threads/replies. I'm betting it's adorable!!
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 04-16-2018 at 07:44 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (04-16-2018),zina10 (04-16-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Random side note: Zina, I wish we could hear your voice and accent (assuming you still have the german accent) while reading your threads/replies. I'm betting it's adorable!!
    Nothing like a sexy accent from a beautiful women ya know Craig

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

zina10 (04-16-2018)

Thanks

My thinking is that if it keeps coming back after the antibiotic it is resistant to it. Cultures will be very useful.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lirenn For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-13-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would wait for a culture to return before doing anything.

Sometimes while symptoms may be alleviated enough to give the appearance that a RI has been cured but yet is still lingering so my first question is this was a culture done initially before prescribing baytril (obviously there are different types of RI that respond differently to different treatment), second question was the treatment prescribe for at least 30 days ( a common mistake is to treat for less than 30 days which can mean that the RI will return)
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Hello and thank to all for your help!

Unfortunately, until the last case vet didn't do any test. In all cases the treated an animal for 14 days with high temperature for month and a few days. I didn't like the method of this treatment and that's why I'm changed to another vet. In the Czech Republic, he's well known and very well evaluated. Sadly he flight to Africa so on his recommendation i went to another vet, where I am doing viral test by now.

Thanks you once again!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DeVipera For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeVipera View Post
    Hello and thank to all for your help!

Unfortunately, until the last case vet didn't do any test. In all cases the treated an animal for 14 days with high temperature for month and a few days. I didn't like the method of this treatment and that's why I'm changed to another vet. In the Czech Republic, he's well known and very well evaluated. Sadly he flight to Africa so on his recommendation i went to another vet, where I am doing viral test by now.

Thanks you once again!

Ok, I wrote my reply before I saw this.

So it seems that the treatment wasn't ideal in the beginning. To short, no culture done. It seems that you have a better Vet now.

I would call that Vet, tell him how your snake is doing. Ask him if its better to wait on the culture, or start some treatment before the culture is back, if its going to be a while..
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Thanks

She said about 3-4 days, so 2-3 days remain. I called her this morning and she gave me a choice. We wait for the result or we run the lung wash and start with ATB without culture done (for now).

Sadly I don't know what is best for snake.. he's in very bad condition.

Thanks
    If he is in VERY bad condition, as you say, just take him in. Let the Vet see him and then make the decision.

Waiting on the culture is not going to do you any good if the snake dies before its done.. You can always start treatment with a broad spectrum antibiotic now, and then adjust the treatment as needed once the culture comes back.

Of course the stress is also a concern, but at this point, it seems rather critical to do something..

In the end, you will have to make that decision. You are there, you see your snake, go with with you feeling on this one.

I can only tell you what "I" would do in that situation, and there is no guarantee that its the right or wrong thing to do ..

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you and your poor baby..
    Zina

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast