Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,751

2 members and 2,749 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Emotional Support Snake?

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    The ESA letter approving your pet will allow us to get through "No pets allowed" in houses/dorms, allows him to travel free on planes, and some other things. Basically making it to where you and them will never be seperated
    (At least thats how I understood it)

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    There are actually a fair number of colleges that have either pet-friendly designated dorms, or who allow pets in the dorms/in their on-campus apartments. A quick Google search brought up some pretty big names- University of Northern Colorado, Caltech, MIT (although that mostly seems to be cats), University of Washington, and many smaller colleges. I didn't look specifically at the policies of any of them, but at a quick glance was able to note that some mostly seemed in favor of traditional pets, but not exotics, while one would let you have anything that fit in a 20 gallon tank. So when searching for a college, you might take that into consideration and see what options you can find that would allow snakes.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    You can get a certified therapy animal if your anxiety and other things are bad. Something to look into.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I also have episodes of bad anxiety, sometimes to the point of affecting my health and normal day to day activities. I have pets including my snakes and as much as they do help me at home, you must realize you can't cope with anxiety using pets alone. I have to learn methods of keeping calm, like counting to 20 out loud, deep slow breathing, talking to myself or keeping my husband on the phone until I calm down, etc. You are still young so you may still be able to get a better hold of your anxiety. It usually gets worse over time if you do nothing.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-13-2018),MissterDog (02-13-2018),Timelugia (02-13-2018),tttaylorrr (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Ok. Thank you guys. I shouldve used common sence and just not consider it, but thank you so much guys. ☺

¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Ok. Thank you guys. I shouldve used common sence and just not consider it, but thank you so much guys. ☺
    i think it was important that you considered it, and that you were receptive to people's advice and concerns. hopefully this thread brought some clarity to you about all this ESA hullabaloo and what their true function is.

i've been very open about my struggles with mental health, and how my snakes have helped me. they've reminded me to care for myself, and to keep my responsibilities. this does not mean i rely on them to function in society or care for myself daily.

i like to make the comparison of the ESA conversation to fidget spinners (bare with me! i promise it makes a little bit of sense): fidget spinners have been invaluable to kids with autism and other higher-functioning mental or learning disabilities when it comes to classroom settings or other areas where they need to focus. fidget "toys" have existed for a long time and have legitimate uses. once the Fidget Spinner patent ran up, everyone began producing them. then everyone had one. every other news story was about another school banning them. my aunt is a social worker at a school and works specifically around kids with learning and mental disabilities. she told me the fight she had to go through with administration to allow the kids who truly benefited from fidget toys them to keep them in school (because administrations are lazy and 'no tolerance' is the only administrating done nowadays). she eventually was able to convince the administration on behalf of her kids, but for almost a month some kids were unable to focus or continue to make progress, all because a large enough population abused something not meant for them. in the wake of all the crazy ESA stories, there is a whole group of people being forgotten about, and their means to a better life is mocked on the national stage.

like when you see those commercials for a gadget that puts your socks on for you without having to bend over, or a fork that automatically twirls your spaghetti. a normal person would think: holy crap who actually NEEDS to buy that?? i think: well, old people! or people with physical disabilities, or arthritis, or someone who has a metal rod for a spine!

my point is: these things have their place, but it is important to understand just how much people can NEED something like this that might seem so trivial to a normal person. do you truly, without-a-doubt NEED Geno? probably not. but that's okay, and that's a good thing! imagine being in a place where you truly could not function without your pet snake, where taking him out of his home every day was the only thing keeping you from failing to function daily. you would never want to do that to your snake, and that's not a place i would ever wish to be mentally.

i'm very sorry for the rant, but i needed to get this out of me. lol. ty.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 02-13-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Starscream (02-13-2018),Timelugia (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    NO, just NO. It is ridiculous and you don't really need it at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i think it was important that you considered it, and that you were receptive to people's advice and concerns. hopefully this thread brought some clarity to you about all this ESA hullabaloo and what their true function is.

i've been very open about my struggles with mental health, and how my snakes have helped me. they've reminded me to care for myself, and to keep my responsibilities. this does not mean i rely on them to function in society or care for myself daily.

i like to make the comparison of the ESA conversation to fidget spinners (bare with me! i promise it makes a little bit of sense): fidget spinners have been invaluable to kids with autism and other higher-functioning mental or learning disabilities when it comes to classroom settings or other areas where they need to focus. fidget "toys" have existed for a long time and have legitimate uses. once the Fidget Spinner patent ran up, everyone began producing them. then everyone had one. every other news story was about another school banning them. my aunt is a social worker at a school and works specifically around kids with learning and mental disabilities. she told me the fight she had to go through with administration to allow the kids who truly benefited from fidget toys them to keep them in school (because administrations are lazy and 'no tolerance' is the only administrating done nowadays). she eventually was able to convince the administration on behalf of her kids, but for almost a month some kids were unable to focus or continue to make progress, all because a large enough population abused something not meant for them. in the wake of all the crazy ESA stories, there is a whole group of people being forgotten about, and their means to a better life is mocked on the national stage.

like when you see those commercials for a gadget that puts your socks on for you without having to bend over, or a fork that automatically twirls your spaghetti. a normal person would think: holy crap who actually NEEDS to buy that?? i think: well, old people! or people with physical disabilities, or arthritis, or someone who has a metal rod for a spine!

my point is: these things have their place, but it is important to understand just how much people can NEED something like this that might seem so trivial to a normal person. do you truly, without-a-doubt NEED Geno? probably not. but that's okay, and that's a good thing! imagine being in a place where you truly could not function without your pet snake, where taking him out of his home every day was the only thing keeping you from failing to function daily. you would never want to do that to your snake, and that's not a place i would ever wish to be mentally.

i'm very sorry for the rant, but i needed to get this out of me. lol. ty.
    Don't apologize! That helps so much! I found Brian Barczyk's channels a few years back and, it honestly changed my life. Then I got Geno and It's crazy how much he's helped me. But I understand completely now that there are people that really n e e d ESA's, and I'm not one of them. Yes, seeing him out looking around or curled up in his hides in the mornings makes me smile, and if I never saw him again I'd most likely not talk to anyone or ever come out of my room.. but I'd get over it. There are people that wouldn't get over it... I don't know what I'm trying to say. Point is, thank you so much.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

The good thing is that you asked and were open to feedback. There are a lot of nice ideas out there on how we'd like things to go with our pets, but in cases like this some ideas are better left as an idea and not followed through, especially once you learn about the possible consequences and headaches that may transpire.

So even if some words may have seemed harsh and discouraging (I'm sorry if mine were too blunt), it's good of you to double check on facts and get answers. This community is all about looking out for each other and the well being of our snakes, and we much rather tell you 'no' from the start of something problematic rather than later when trouble has already started. Just nipping things at the bud to save you and Geno from unnecessary difficulties and backlash.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 02-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-13-2018),Kira (02-13-2018),Timelugia (02-13-2018),tttaylorrr (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    This community is all about looking out for each other and the well being of our snakes, and we much rather tell you 'no' from the start of something problematic rather than later when trouble has already started. Just nipping things at the bud to save you and Geno from unnecessary difficulties and backlash.
    i was honestly kind of worried about how the forum was going to react to this thread, but overall i felt everyone was respectful enough.

we do look out for one another; no one is here just to disagree with and upset you OP.

i firmly believe ESAs have their place and they should be respected a heck of a lot more than they are, but bad apples, bunches and all that.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-13-2018),Starscream (02-13-2018)

Thanks

But I understand completely now that there are people that really n e e d ESA's, and I'm not one of them.
    bingo.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

GpBp (02-13-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast