Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 919

5 members and 914 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: BP Newbie

Thanks

BP Newbie

Hey guys. I just got my first BP from a local breeder and she's around 1.5 years old. And I already love her. But the thing is, she is extremely defensive, to the extent that she constantly strikes at the sight of me walking past her enclosure. And this happens everytime without fail. I've been meaning to try handling her. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: BP Newbie

How long have you had her? If you just got her you should give her a week, preferably two to settle in. She sounds very stressed. Could you post a picture of your setup too?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

^THIS^

Many suggest leaving the snake alone for 10 days minimum apart from fresh water when they're asleep .
    Then at least one feed before trying to handle ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/P7xHH Forgive me for the poor quality of the picture but my phone was all I had available to take a picture. Is the enclosure too small and is there anything that I could improve upon?

Thanks

Maybe a couple of photos from different angles to give some perspective..

What size viv ??

Looks like a 45cm cube but can't be sure ..
    I'd personally swap that huge water dish for a small glass one to give more floor space - I've never seen one of my Royals ever soak tbh .

I'd also cover the two sides and back with dark / black paper to make the snake feel more relaxed / safe ... it's far too open at the moment ... a few fake plastic plants will help as well ..

Can't see any hides but I'm sure there are a couple in there ..

Also full details of your setup will be very helpful ..

Heating info / thermostat info - type of thermometer- temps on the warm side hotspot ..

Thanks

Well for starters, that enclosure doesn't seem all that suited for a bp to begin with. Doesn't seem to offer alot of floor space, and husbandry in glass tanks can be a bit of work. You don't seem to have a hide in there, in glass tanks you want two so she won't choose security over regularization. Poor thing must feel very insecure in there. And what about your temps? Is your heat source regulated with a thermostat? IMO it would be best to start from scratch with a tub, that's the cheapest and easiest option.

Thanks

BP Newbie

Maybe not the easiest and cheapest option now he's bought the tank and equip my... It's early days and tanks CAN be used if you adapt them suitably.
    Even the mesh top in the photo can have a sheet of Perspex on it to help with containing the humidity and heat somewhat.

All mine are in tanks or vivs just so I can observe and enjoy them - couldn't imagine keeping a beautiful and interesting snake in a plastic box with blurry opaque sides tbh

It's all down to personal preference of course .

Last edited by Zincubus; 02-13-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Looks way to small, with no place to hide at all. I would be striking too. She is very stressed.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Maybe not the easiest and cheapest option now he's bought the tank and equip my... It's early days and tanks CAN be used if you adapt them suitably.
    Even the mesh top in the photo can have a sheet of Perspex on it to help with containing the humidity and heat somewhat.

All mine are in tanks or vivs just so I can observe and enjoy them - couldn't imagine keeping a beautiful and interesting snake in a plastic box with blurry opaque sides tbh

It's all down to personal preference of course .

You mistook my comment, I wasn't trying to say tubs were better than tanks or so something like that. I have both and I keep reptiles in both, but that is ill suited for the bp in that state, it seems to be one of those small vertical exo terras. Fine for something like a Crestie but those aren't good for bps, like I said before there isn't much floor space in it. Which is far more important than height for a terrestrial species like a bp than height. I suppose you always could flip it on it's side and heat it with UTHs but you could get a larger tub far less than a bigger viv. End of the day tank or viv doesn't really matter, their husbandry is flawed and they need to fix it.
    Last edited by MD_Pythons; 02-13-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    You mistook my comment, I wasn't trying to say tubs were better than tanks or so something like that. I have both and I keep reptiles in both, but that is ill suited for the bp in that state, it seems to be one of those small vertical exo terras. Fine for something like a Crestie but those aren't good for bps, like I said before there isn't much floor space in it. Which is far more important than height for a terrestrial species like a bp than height. I suppose you always could flip it on it's side and heat it with UTHs but you could get a larger tub far less than a bigger viv. End of the day tank or viv doesn't really matter, their husbandry is flawed and they need to fix it.
    Fair comments ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro