Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 633

0 members and 633 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Difference Between Gravel and Asphalt?

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I've been unable to find much in the way of information on the relationship between the gravel and asphalt genes (as well as the highway and freeway morphs.) I know that they are allelic genes in the yellowbelly complex and visually indistinguishable from yellowbelly. Other than that though, what, if anything, distinguishes them? Is this a banana/ coral glow or lesser/ butter type of situation with different lines of essentially the same gene, or is more comparable to cinnamon/ black pastel, etc.? Is there any sort of shared lineage between the two, or were they developed independently? Thanks in advance!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I believe they're separate as seen by the difference in supers and YB combos.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chakup For This Useful Post:

IsmQui718 (03-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Difference Between Gravel and Asphalt?

Would you be able to describe the differences for me? I haven't had the opportunity to see these animals in person, only images online, but they look essentially the same to my eyes.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    there's has yet to be a person to claim that they can tell the difference between a single YB, Gravel and Asphalt. even the big, famous breeders can't.

the Super YB of course is the Ivory, a mostly white BP w/ a faded head and yellow striping; the Super Gravel and Super Asphalt is dark, w/ blushing and broken striping and broken striped side patterns.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

My apologies for unclear language. Chakup mentioned "the difference in supers and YB combos," so I was hoping for a description of what visually differentiates a highway from a freeway or a super gravel from a super asphalt. Ivories are definitely distinct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
    My apologies for unclear language. Chakup mentioned "the difference in supers and YB combos," so I was hoping for a description of what visually differentiates a highway from a freeway or a super gravel from a super asphalt. Ivories are definitely distinct.
    Highways/Freeways = YB Gravel/YB Asphalt. there's not really a difference between them as Gravel/Asphalt are thought to be the same genes, just different lines.

i'm not good w/ technical definitions/descriptions, but i would describe the difference between a Highways/Freeways and Super Gravel/Super Asphalt as the former being lighter as the YB adds more colors; the dark colors will appear more along the eye stripes and dorsals making up the Highways/Freeways striping. YB also adds noise or pixelation in the side pattern, where the Super's appear cleaner.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    From what I've heard the Asphalt originated in Canada and the Gravel here in the US. From the visual combos I'd say a Pastel Freeway (YB+Asphalt) has more of an electric pattern with more of a brighter white background vs. a Pastel Highway (YB+Gravel).

I actually just came across an interesting combo on Morphmarket, they are listing it as a Pastel Asphalt Gravel. It's the first time I've ever seen the two combined. It almost looks Axanthic to me, much different than a Super Gravel or Super Asphalt or Highway or Freeway. So yes, very similar morphs coming from different lines but you can tell them apart in some cases and they appear to be compatible with each other.

Pastel Asphalt Gravel:

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/116181

Last edited by cchardwick; 02-13-2018 at 04:19 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Artemisia (02-13-2018),the_rotten1 (02-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    From what I've heard the Asphalt originated in Canada and the Gravel here in the US. From the visual combos I'd say a Pastel Freeway (YB+Asphalt) has more of an electric pattern with more of a brighter white background vs. a Pastel Highway (YB+Gravel).

I actually just came across an interesting combo on Morphmarket, they are listing it as a Pastel Asphalt Gravel. It's the first time I've ever seen the two combined. It almost looks Axanthic to me, much different than a Super Gravel or Super Asphalt or Highway or Freeway. So yes, very similar morphs coming from different lines but you can tell them apart in some cases and they appear to be compatible with each other.

Pastel Asphalt Gravel:

I so wish I could spend 5k on this guy. Love the look. Amazing.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So beautiful. And imagine if allelic bread to a YB and get all freeway or highway. Ooooh I wish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post

Pastel Asphalt Gravel:

Wow that's amazing! an Asphalt Gravel would be a Super if its believed that they are the same genes (or acts like Super) but it looks dramatically different from this Pastel Super Gravel: https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/109243

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-21-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast