Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,394

0 members and 1,394 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Identifying extra morphs in a BEL?

Hey everyone, I have future plans to breed my male butter orange ghost to my female black bee mojave orange ghost and it is a possibility that I could get a bel orange ghost containing either black pastel or spider. Now, I know it will be orange ghost because of the pairing, but is there any possible way to identify the spider or black pastel in there? I seem to remember reading about using a blacklight to see faint patterning on the snake, but am not sure. Thanks.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Identifying extra morphs in a BEL?

Black light

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    Black light

Gotcha, guess the only issue I might still have is if it has spider AND black pastel, since I'd imagine the pattern would still look like spider.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Actually most people will know if it has Spider in it by a head wobble, pretty easy to tell that way. A black light may show a slight pattern but most people will sell a BEL at a lower price since there's only the possibility of it having other genes, you won't really know for sure until you prove it out. I have yet to see anyone post a study on patterns using a black light and known proven BEL with multiple genes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Actually most people will know if it has Spider in it by a head wobble, pretty easy to tell that way. A black light may show a slight pattern but most people will sell a BEL at a lower price since there's only the possibility of it having other genes, you won't really know for sure until you prove it out. I have yet to see anyone post a study on patterns using a black light and known proven BEL with multiple genes.
    Interesting, although my female contains spider and thus far has shown no signs of spider wobble, even though it's obvious she contains spider. I suppose if I get one like that it may still be difficult to tell based on wobble alone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Gotcha, guess the only issue I might still have is if it has spider AND black pastel, since I'd imagine the pattern would still look like spider.
    Haha not sure where the rest of my post went? I was trying to say black light will help with some identification but like it was mentioned, you cant guarantee many white BEL combos without proving them out which means if you have a "possible xyz" you end up selling it at normal bel price and possibly giving someone a great deal. I breed lots of BELs but intentionally keep my parings for those combos relatively simple so there isnt much second guessing and I can correctly identify the clutch so unless youre really shooting for some of the other OD combos then I would consider a different male.

Thanks
    I look at BELs as just that. If you choose to breed a 6 gene x 6 gene and you end up producing BELs, it could be all 12 genes but to me its 2 genes because that is what is able to be determined. I avoid trying to complicate the gene pool so if BELs are desired, then the goal is to use single gene or 2 gene to minimize the guessing game.
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    Haha not sure where the rest of my post went? I was trying to say black light will help with some identification but like it was mentioned, you cant guarantee many white BEL combos without proving them out which means if you have a "possible xyz" you end up selling it at normal bel price and possibly giving someone a great deal. I breed lots of BELs but intentionally keep my parings for those combos relatively simple so there isnt much second guessing and I can correctly identify the clutch so unless youre really shooting for some of the other OD combos then I would consider a different male.

My original intention was indeed to make orange ghost combos, the bel was just kind of the icing on the cake. I will most likely sell them as possible black pastel and possible spider if I don't see spider under the blacklight. They will still be og, so I will at the very least be able to sell them for 3 gene prices.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Hannahshissyfix (03-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    I look at BELs as just that. If you choose to breed a 6 gene x 6 gene and you end up producing BELs, it could be all 12 genes but to me its 2 genes because that is what is able to be determined. I avoid trying to complicate the gene pool so if BELs are desired, then the goal is to use single gene or 2 gene to minimize the guessing game.
    I chose my pairing intentionally to avoid single gene animals, as they may need to pretty much be given away at times. Right now the only single gene I will possibly get will be visual ogs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    My original intention was indeed to make orange ghost combos, the bel was just kind of the icing on the cake. I will most likely sell them as possible black pastel and possible spider if I don't see spider under the blacklight. They will still be og, so I will at the very least be able to sell them for 3 gene prices.
    Good luck! I do love when a clutch has so much color variation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast