Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

2 members and 2,916 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Weight gain?

Thanks

Weight gain?

Hi all, thanks for all the advice i received in my last post ( https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Owner-Worries ) I kept on trying every trick in the book till November.

By November my sons bp still didn't eat and the pet shop was still saying its fine for bp's to go months without eating. The bp's wight had dropped down to 100g and was starting to look quite thin, so I thought sod this and researched through forum posts and youtube videos about assist feeding. After successfully getting him to assist feed a few times (always tried to get the strike feed done before i assisted) the bp started to look more healthy.

Fast forward 10 weeks and last Sunday night i went to feed the bp and got the scare of my life when he actually strike fed. Needless to say I feel happy he struck and hoping he is going to do this going forward.

But my concern going forward now is the bp's weight hasn't budged above 120g and he should be coming up to the year point and clearly it's underdeveloped. Do i look to feeding every 5 days instead of 7 or is there any other ways i can try and get it back on track??

Any advice would be great

Thanks for reading.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Weight gain?

Quote Originally Posted by YoJimbo View Post
    Hi all, thanks for all the advice i received in my last post ( https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Owner-Worries ) I kept on trying every trick in the book till November.

By November my sons bp still didn't eat and the pet shop was still saying its fine for bp's to go months without eating. The bp's wight had dropped down to 100g and was starting to look quite thin, so I thought sod this and researched through forum posts and youtube videos about assist feeding. After successfully getting him to assist feed a few times (always tried to get the strike feed done before i assisted) the bp started to look more healthy.

Fast forward 10 weeks and last Sunday night i went to feed the bp and got the scare of my life when he actually strike fed. Needless to say I feel happy he struck and hoping he is going to do this going forward.

But my concern going forward now is the bp's weight hasn't budged above 120g and he should be coming up to the year point and clearly it's underdeveloped. Do i look to feeding every 5 days instead of 7 or is there any other ways i can try and get it back on track??

Any advice would be great

Thanks for reading.
    I had a Small Hatchling (Breeder kept her small to control growth) that actually wanted to eat so I got to a normal weight within a couple months feeding twice a week. What I did was watched he and noticed her head would be out of the Hide by Tuesday after FRI/Sat feedings.. I started to give her a regular size meal every Fri & Tues.. She filled out great and after 3 months of that I went back to once a week. (Only do this if they strike, No Force Feeding) You also have to be careful of the time of year. If it is a male that can lead to going off after a couple weeks of Power feeding...that hasn't happened to my females though.. However I did it for just those 3 months and returned to a weekly schedule. Try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

YoJimbo (02-14-2018)