Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,105

5 members and 3,100 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

To rack or not to rack...

What made you decide to go with a rack system?

I have 3 snakes, and I don't have any trouble with heat or humidity based on my setups, but space wise I feel that a rack would be beneficial.
    I do love seeing my reptiles and they have some very aesthetically pleasing viv set ups, but I recently came across the C-Serpents V-70 rack (3 tub) which would be perfect... plus I will only need one thermostat which would be a plus.
    I am really on the fence and not sure which way to go at this point, just looking for some advice/pointers
    Leopold 1.0 Banana Ball Python
    Vaida 0.1 Super Mojave Ball Python
    Francis 1.0 Banana California Kingsnake
    Winston 1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
    BamBam 0.0.1 Chocolate Albino Leopard Gecko
    & Turtle, Frostbite, Thor, Loki, Oskhar, and Abby

Thanks

Re: To rack or not to rack...

The only drawback to using a rack that I find is the room temperature. If you don't have a designated snake room where you can regulate the room temp it tends to be hard to keep temps steady in a rack. I have mostly cages but I am running one rack right now in my house so I have had to keep my whole house temp at 75 degrees all winter in order to have any hopes of maintaining my temps in the rack.

Other than that, I love the convenience of a rack system.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-08-2018),krampvs (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krampvs View Post

I have 3 snakes, and I don't have any trouble with heat or humidity based on my setups, but space wise I feel that a rack would be beneficial.
    I do love seeing my reptiles and they have some very aesthetically pleasing viv set ups, but I recently came across the C-Serpents V-70 rack (3 tub) which would be perfect... plus I will only need one thermostat which would be a plus.
    I am really on the fence and not sure which way to go at this point, just looking for some advice/pointers
    Our situations are identical, krampvs. C-Serpents seems great and I've also been looking into Animal Plastics and TGR racks. I like the TGR racks but I've read conflicting accounts of the sturdiness of the racks. I've yet to see any kind of rack in real life so it's hard to make a decision. There's a reptile show in my area this weekend and I'm hoping I can see some racks there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I've done both. In each case, for years.

In my opinion and experience, Ball Pythons do EXCEPTIONALLY well in a good rack system.

I wouldn't keep just any species in a rack, but this one, does perfect !! For many reasons.

You will always find the people that are 100% pro racks and 100% against them. First thing, listen to people that "true and tried" both ways.

I think you CAN have both. If you like a display cage, well, keep one or two that way or get a species that likes to be out and about and then you can really go wild with a gorgeous setup and actually see a snake in it all the time. A lot of species make great use of a bigger and well lit enclosure.

I have one Ball Python in a display cage and enjoy the set up (and seeing him in it, when he decides to show himself) I also have a rack.
    Yes, racks are convenient. But in the case of Ball Pythons that convenience is not to the animals detriment. They do so well in that sort of setup (if done right, of course)
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (02-13-2018),the_rotten1 (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Ball pythons seem to thrive in a rack system. I would guess most ambush predators also would. I would never consider putting an active hunter type snake (aspedities for example) in a rack as a permanent home. Some snakes are wired to sit still others are not. You just need to know the species you are working with and be prepared to give them what they need.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Skeptiball (02-14-2018),zina10 (02-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krampvs View Post

I, personally, like enclosures the best as they give me a "stationary" roof to attach lighting and heating elements to and I love seeing my animals out and about. I am not going to preach about racks vs enclosures as I think both can be done in the case of ball pythons. That said, I can't encourage the use of the CB-70/V-70 tubs for a few reasons:

(1) I do not think ~ 34" x 17" is really enough floor space for some ball pythons. If you have smaller specimens (i.e. 1000-1500 g or so), then I find it less of an issue as you can still get a reasonable hide in the tub and there is sufficient room for a small snake to "coil up" on both the "cool side" or the "warm side". There is a bare minimum thermal gradient with these dimensions. For larger snakes, you really should use a larger tub when they reach adulthood. Consider the typical ball python averages around 3-4 ft, meaning the enclosure is just barely the same length as a smaller-end adult snake. From a girth (diameter) perspective, they range about 3-4", so about half the height of your tub.

(2) I have never liked the height of these tubs. They are really too short for an adult snake. As noted above, the girth of the snake itself is like half the height of the tub, so the snake can't raise it's body really at all. Next time you feed your snake, watch how it swallows the meal. Once it gets close to the "end" you'll see it rise up and use gravity to aid in the final swallowing. When you put a snake in this short of a tub, you inhibit that natural behavior.

In my opinion, something like the ARS 8507 would be a better choice. Looking at Vision, at least a CB-80, which is basically the same tub but 13" high. Better yet, the "small tubs" are 40" x 26" x 11", which is actually pretty solid.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-13-2018),krampvs (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    I, personally, like enclosures the best as they give me a "stationary" roof to attach lighting and heating elements to and I love seeing my animals out and about. I am not going to preach about racks vs enclosures as I think both can be done in the case of ball pythons. That said, I can't encourage the use of the CB-70/V-70 tubs for a few reasons:

(1) I do not think ~ 34" x 17" is really enough floor space for some ball pythons. If you have smaller specimens (i.e. 1000-1500 g or so), then I find it less of an issue as you can still get a reasonable hide in the tub and there is sufficient room for a small snake to "coil up" on both the "cool side" or the "warm side". There is a bare minimum thermal gradient with these dimensions. For larger snakes, you really should use a larger tub when they reach adulthood. Consider the typical ball python averages around 3-4 ft, meaning the enclosure is just barely the same length as a smaller-end adult snake. From a girth (diameter) perspective, they range about 3-4", so about half the height of your tub.

(2) I have never liked the height of these tubs. They are really too short for an adult snake. As noted above, the girth of the snake itself is like half the height of the tub, so the snake can't raise it's body really at all. Next time you feed your snake, watch how it swallows the meal. Once it gets close to the "end" you'll see it rise up and use gravity to aid in the final swallowing. When you put a snake in this short of a tub, you inhibit that natural behavior.

In my opinion, something like the ARS 8507 would be a better choice. Looking at Vision, at least a CB-80, which is basically the same tub but 13" high. Better yet, the "small tubs" are 40" x 26" x 11", which is actually pretty solid.
    Agree 100%. My snakes are all in 24"x33" floor tubs currently. Even my little hatchling! Of course, he has 3 hides to choose from and uses them all, Eats like a champ and is perfectly secure. The giant female only has 2 hides (cool and hot), but she can move around bit. She doesn't fit in CB70! No way!
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 02-13-2018 at 10:27 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

krampvs (02-13-2018)

Thanks

I really appreciate everyone's input... I think for now I will stick with individual vivs, as they are personally my favorite and I don't feel like my snakes would benefit more from a rack, as I don't have trouble with temps or humidity in general. I also only have 3 snakes, so while it would save space, I'm not sure it makes so much sense.

Maybe in the future, when I am able to have a dedicated reptile room
    Leopold 1.0 Banana Ball Python
    Vaida 0.1 Super Mojave Ball Python
    Francis 1.0 Banana California Kingsnake
    Winston 1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
    BamBam 0.0.1 Chocolate Albino Leopard Gecko
    & Turtle, Frostbite, Thor, Loki, Oskhar, and Abby

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krampvs For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (03-08-2018),Zincubus (02-14-2018)