Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,787

0 members and 2,787 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: I finally did it

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Wow stunning snake ! I heard that they have some crazy teeth that are quite large and if they get a hold of you they can get to the bone. Is that true ?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have some of the longest teeth of the python world. From the pictures I have seen of a adults teeth. Its definitely not something I'd want to get bit by.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fluffykitten For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-16-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: I finally did it

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykitten View Post
    So I have been wanting a green tree python for a few years now. But whenever I came across one for sale I either did not know enough about them or just wasn't the right time. We'll my wife and I were at the white plains show and outback reptiles have a few captive breed babies for sale.
    Im not exactly sure I just asked if he was a CB or Wc. I won't buy an animal if it was taken from the wild.
    Generally, you can tell by the price tag if an animal is USCB, WC, or "Farm Hatched" (i.e. Farmed, or CB overseas). Where USCB > Farmed > WC in both quality and price. This is going to come off kind of judgemental, but how much research did you do prior to this purchase? I only ask because if someone has been wanting a chondro for "a few years", I am surprised the first thing they ask would not be: Is this USCB, farmed, or WC? Assuming they don't know the answer already. You shouldn't be satisfied with a simple answer of "Captive Bred". In Maxwell's book and across the MVF forums, lesson #1 they tell everyone is: Save yourself the headache and buy USCB. Farmed is what most consider to be the "second best" choice, better than WC, but generally inferior to USCB. In Farm-bred, it is difficult to discern - How long has it been in the US? What did the parents look like? Were there any sick animals at the facility? Is there a history of parasites or disease? Did it hatch here or overseas? How many hands did it go through? How many meals has it had? etc. Sometimes these animals are actually WC individuals and simply labelled "CB" to command a higher price, though this has become less frequent as of late. One of the nicest things about the green tree python community is that, generally, people have very in-depth lineage and information about offspring and breeding lines. No reputable breeder in the US will just tell you "CB" and it seems a waste not to take advantage of this meticulous record keeping. For example, when I purchased my chondros, the breeder was able to provide me with: The animals lineage (back several generations), pictures of the parents, temperment and feeding response of the parents, health history, the exact hatch date, the hatch rate, parents color as neonates, and the numberof meals the neonate had taken.

Outback reptiles, as someone else noted, are known importers and thus, it is most likely that it was farm bred in Indonesia. Granted, Outback reptiles has a reasonably good reputation, but it doesn't seem like you did much research on the "breeder" in advance. While moot now, I would encourage you to more thoroughly vet the people you buy from in advance. At some point, not thoroughly doing your homework bites us all in the behind in one way or another. Reptile shows make people especially prone to impulse purchases, as we all know the sensation of seeing something there (or online) and thinking: I must have this.

Then again, if you have official "wife approval", perhaps one ought not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Again, this is intended more as an "FYI" post than a judgemental one, I would simply ask that you consider the information above with your reptile collection/hobby moving foward. Best of luck with the neonate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have some of the longest teeth of the python world. From the pictures I have seen of a adults teeth. Its definitely not something I'd want to get bit by.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

While getting bit by a chondro is no picnic, the skull you linked and what you are thinking of is the Emerald Tree Boa, which is sometimes confused for a green tree python. Emerald tree boas indeed have the longest teeth of any non-venomous snake for their size.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-16-2018),fluffykitten (02-17-2018),MD_Pythons (02-16-2018),richardhind1972 (02-17-2018)

Thanks
    Most of the research that I did was on husbandry and cage set ups and on feeding. Not so much on were they came from other than cb or wc. That's my mistake for missing that part and a lesson learned. while I did not do a ton of research of the breeder I didn't just buy the first GTP I have come across. I have come across many others for sale at shows may were priced a a too good to be true price. Normally when I come across something that's priced well below what I would expect is a signal for me too steer clear. Others have looked to be wc or had scaring or other imperfections. When I came across the one I was interested in I did a look on the Web about the breeder and saw mostly good reviews. It looks like I was greatly lacking in the questions I should have asked.
    One of the things that annoy us when we go to the show is when we see people buying all kinds of animals because they are cute when they are small. We always hope the people getting new pets realize that reptiles have unique care requirements and that the fact that they can live decades. I'm a very strong believer in when you decide to take a new pet into your home, that you are responsible for that animal for their full life span however long that may be. That's meaning it's your job to take the best possible care of them every day not just when it's convenient for you. Nothing grinds my gears more than someone taking in a new pet and only caring for them when they are still in the small cute stage or give them up because they no longer want them.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I finally did it

While getting bit by a chondro is no picnic, the skull you linked and what you are thinking of is the Emerald Tree Boa, which is sometimes confused for a green tree python. Emerald tree boas indeed have the longest teeth of any non-venomous snake for their size.

[/QUOTE]

Ohhh HECK NO hahahahhaa. Im not playing with anything like that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 02-18-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12