Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,960

3 members and 2,957 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: What bedding are you using for your retics???

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I use either aspen or ReptiChips.
    Aspen absorption rate compared to reptichips an humidity?

Reptichips is that a name brand?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I keep mine on paper, knowing that 48-72 hours after they eat a waterlogged rabbit they will need a full clean-out, and another the following day, and another the following day...

They're big snakes with fast metabolisms, and they eat big meals, so they make lots of big messes.

Wait until they're big enough to eat whole chickens and you have to clean poop-covered feathers off of the enclosure ceiling.

Thanks

Re: What bedding are you using for your retics???

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I keep mine on paper, knowing that 48-72 hours after they eat a waterlogged rabbit they will need a full clean-out, and another the following day, and another the following day...

They're big snakes with fast metabolisms, and they eat big meals, so they make lots of big messes.

Wait until they're big enough to eat whole chickens and you have to clean poop-covered feathers off of the enclosure ceiling.
    Lol...
    hell no!!!!

I'm sticking too 4 legged animals only....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I use Prococo, it's basically the same as Reptichip, it's coconut husk bedding (no coconut fiber). I wanted to buy Reptichip by the pallet but they wouldn't let me unless I was the sole distributor in this region and agreed to buy so many pallets per year. With Prococo you can buy half pallets without restrictions and it's about $10 per block delivered if you order $1,000 minimum (half pallet minimum). So needless to say I have plenty of Prococo for awhile LOL. Right now I use about 7 blocks per month between ~ 50 snakes.

I put it 2.5 to 3 inches deep in a big boa tub for my 35+ pound albino retic 'Lucy'. I keep it well hydrated to where it's moist underneath and spray it down every day with a pump up sprayer (I check all my snakes and spot clean and give them a light spray every day to keep humidity up). I only change out the substrate once per month for all my snakes including the retics. The Prococo absorbs all the urine and doesn't smell at all until the last week before the substrate change when it just smells a little 'sour' when you open the tub and take a deep sniff, so not too bad at all even at the end. It takes about 3/4 of a block of Prococo per tub. The only spot cleaning I do is when they put out big old turds. Then I just scoop them up and toss them. You people using paper and cleaning several times a week must have a lot of time on your hands LOL.

Once in awhile she will ingest a bit of substrate but after two years I haven't seen any negative effects. If the substrate dries out all the way to the bottom I sprinkle about 1/2 gallon of water throughout the tub to rehydrate it. If the water bowl spills there's no clean up, the substrate absorbs it all. I use a big dog water bowl for the water. The snake is so heavy that she compacts it so it's almost like a cork board. If it dries out too much it breaks up and gets a bit dusty, so it's best to never let it dry out completely.

Last edited by cchardwick; 02-13-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12