Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,356

1 members and 2,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question Question about UTHs inside a wooden enclosure

I have a ball python and a few days ago I noticed when I touch him inside his enclosure he feels weird. Like when you stroke a balloon that's charged with static. I've had him for about a month now, Im not sure if it was like that before, but I would I just didn't notice. He feels normal when he's out. If I check the substrate with a test light, it lits up faintly.
    I have a wooden enclosure, so my two UTHs are inside.
    I have the following layering(top to bottom):
    - coconut fiber substrate
    - paper
    - glass panel
    - a small air gap
    - UTH
    - bottom of the enclosure

There's no potential difference between the subtrate and me if the UTHs are disconnected, only when at least one of them is active, so I figure there's my problem. I regulate both of them with a thermostat and one is toned down with a rheostat to create a temperature gradient. I have one more lightsource on a timer switch but that doesn't seem to interfere with anything.
    Teh sockets are grounded, but the UTHs don't have grounding, so I figure it could be the electromagnetic field induced by them. If I touch the substrate with my other hand, the test light won't light up. Also if I connect a wire to the grounding pin in the socket, it doesn't light up either.

Has any of you experienced something like this before? Is it something to worry about, should I fix it with the grounding wire I mentioned? It doesn't seem to bother him too much, but I'm kinda worried.

Thanks

Re: Question about UTHs inside a wooden enclosure

Hmmm, source of EMI, glass, paper, fiber.. sounds like you made a capacitor lol.

You can probably run a ground wire from the cage floor (screwed down - use a crimp spade lug) to the ground from an outlet - the same one used by your cage heater thermostat. Those 3-to-2 prong adapters have that ground lug broken out for you.

What kind of heat pads? The carbon-conductor type (Flexwatt, THG, Ultratherm, etc) seem less problematic than nichrome wire heat pads (ZooMed, etc) for EMI if I remember correctly. I would use an Ultratherm. They are sealed quite well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 6strings For This Useful Post:

bnorb (02-22-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Question about UTHs inside a wooden enclosure

Wow... This is a new one!!! I would use a Flux Compositor, but then again I know NOTHING about this except it sounds like a real problem. Hope you find someone here that understands. BUMP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 02-21-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bnorb View Post
    I have a ball python and a few days ago I noticed when I touch him inside his enclosure he feels weird. Like when you stroke a balloon that's charged with static. I've had him for about a month now, Im not sure if it was like that before, but I would I just didn't notice. He feels normal when he's out. If I check the substrate with a test light, it lits up faintly.
    I have a wooden enclosure, so my two UTHs are inside.
    I have the following layering(top to bottom):
    - coconut fiber substrate
    - paper
    - glass panel
    - a small air gap
    - UTH
    - bottom of the enclosure

There's no potential difference between the subtrate and me if the UTHs are disconnected, only when at least one of them is active, so I figure there's my problem. I regulate both of them with a thermostat and one is toned down with a rheostat to create a temperature gradient. I have one more lightsource on a timer switch but that doesn't seem to interfere with anything.
    Teh sockets are grounded, but the UTHs don't have grounding, so I figure it could be the electromagnetic field induced by them. If I touch the substrate with my other hand, the test light won't light up. Also if I connect a wire to the grounding pin in the socket, it doesn't light up either.

Has any of you experienced something like this before? Is it something to worry about, should I fix it with the grounding wire I mentioned? It doesn't seem to bother him too much, but I'm kinda worried.
    Hi ...

I've experienced this very same thing over the years and nothing has ever happened , a kinda tickling / vibration when you touch the snake ...and they don't mind either ..

I actually found the reason using Google a while back but I can't for the life of me remember what it was ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Question about UTHs inside a wooden enclosure

Just found this little snippet ..

Copy and pasted , sorry ..

" What could be happening though is as the heating element is inductive what you may be able to feel is an induced EMF (Electro Magnetic Force) in the snake, but this would purely depend on how conductive the snake is ..

This is not an exact science without doing some tests, however...... generally humans start to feel the tingle sensation from electricity at around 0.25mA that is 0.00025A.

A 7W load is not going to induce much of an EMF as the actual current at 230V would be around 30mA or 0.03A. Now I am no expert on the impedance of snakes, but it could be that the snake is acting as a secondary winding on a transformer and when you touch the snake you become the load and the current passes through you and then back to source through the earth mass.
    This is starting to sound more and more technical now! "

Last edited by Zincubus; 02-21-2018 at 11:35 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

bnorb (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Thank you for the answers guys! The setup does act like a capacitor. When I check it with a test light, and turn it off, the light dims with a transient.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to bother Noodle that much, but I'll see if I can ground it without putting the wire iside the enclosure (above the glass or paper I mean). When I take him out, I touch the substrate with my other hand, so most of the current doesn't hsve to pass through him.

I have an Ultratherm uth and a noname one. Both csuse this same thing individually too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bnorb For This Useful Post:

Booper (02-22-2018),Zincubus (02-22-2018)

Thanks

I have no idea what you just wrote but .... thanks !!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-22-2018)