Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,976

2 members and 2,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Dumeril's Boa won't eat, again!

Hey there..
    I posted that thread few month ago and with the advice you guys gave me she ate once, at that's all.
    Last ate was at- 17 of November, 2017
    she weighted 427 at the beginning of November 2017.
    At the end of January she weighted 433 so I don't think she losing weight.

What else can I do to make her eat?
    Should I try tuna scent \ blood scent or what else?
    Tried thawed mice \ rat, live rat \ mice and fresh killed rat. She ate both thawed and live mice \ rat at the period when she ate "good".

Hot side 84-85 f, plastic tube with under tank mat, no hide spots.

Notice-
    When I first brought her she did problems with feeding to the previous pet store owner (he didn't tell me about this!), after a month or 2 she ate at my place for around 3 month's weekly feed live and thawed mice, took a break from eating for another 3-4 month, ate once at last November and didn't eat till now.
    I don't handle her at all since she last ate, even month before that.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Dumeril's Boa won't eat, again!

Quote Originally Posted by doronxl7 View Post
    Hey there..
    I posted that thread few month ago and with the advice you guys gave me she ate once, at that's all.
    Last ate was at- 17 of November, 2017
    she weighted 427 at the beginning of November 2017.
    At the end of January she weighted 433 so I don't think she losing weight.

What else can I do to make her eat?
    Should I try tuna scent \ blood scent or what else?
    Tried thawed mice \ rat, live rat \ mice and fresh killed rat. She ate both thawed and live mice \ rat at the period when she ate "good".

Notice-
    When I first brought her she did problems with feeding to the previous pet store owner (he didn't tell me about this!), after a month or 2 she ate at my place for around 3 month's weekly feed live and thawed mice, took a break from eating for another 3-4 month, ate once at last November and didn't eat till now.
    I don't handle her at all since she last ate, even month before that.
    My Dumerils Boa ate last time on the 16th of November. My BCI ate last time on the 8th of December. My BP ate last time on the 30th of November. I,m not worried at all and i don,t even think about it because its obvious why they stopped eating. Its winter and the cold weather might have an effect on their digestive systems.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    My Dumerils Boa ate last time on the 16th of November. My BCI ate last time on the 8th of December. My BP ate last time on the 30th of November. I,m not worried at all and i don,t even think about it because its obvious why they stopped eating. Its winter and the cold weather might have an effect on their digestive systems.
    Hmm, could be true I suppose. Or your husmbandry could be off. I have 3 ball pythons right now, after downsizing, and they all eat evevry week, all winter. Hmmm, so how do you explain that? They don't know it is winter. It is 79 degrees in the snake room, they have hot spots of 90 degrees. The humidity is around 65-70% on average. It is EQUATORIAL conditions, like where their natural habitat. They have no reason to fast, so they don't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-10-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Hmm, could be true I suppose. Or your husmbandry could be off. I have 3 ball pythons right now, after downsizing, and they all eat evevry week, all winter. Hmmm, so how do you explain that? They don't know it is winter. It is 79 degrees in the snake room, they have hot spots of 90 degrees. The humidity is around 65-70% on average. It is EQUATORIAL conditions, like where their natural habitat. They have no reason to fast, so they don't.
    I am using only belly heating. It does not warm the air for sure, but for sure they have the temperature and warmth that they need. Last year my BCI did not stop eating in winter although i did not change anything in his husbandry. Now he is 21 months old and he has reached sexual maturity. By the way, he did not poop out the last meal that he ate on the 8th of December yet. My Dumeril,s boa is 16 months old now and he did not stop eating last year in winter. I,m pretty sure they will eat again in March or no later than April. The positive thing about it is that no one can accuse me of overfeeding my snakes anymore :-)

Thanks

My bp's and corn eat once a week and my boa every other week. The boa is 6' and eating large rats. My bp's are on rat pups but they eat 2 per feeding and my corn eats 2 hoppers per feeding. My normal ball went on a 3 month fast but it was around Autumn even though we don't really have any weather changes during fall in Florida. I'm pretty sure they don't know what the weather outside is because the temps and humidity stay the same year round. I don't have any experience with dumerils so I can't really help with them but it sounds like a husbandry issue

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    I am using only belly heating. It does not warm the air for sure, but for sure they have the temperature and warmth that they need. Last year my BCI did not stop eating in winter although i did not change anything in his husbandry. Now he is 21 months old and he has reached sexual maturity. By the way, he did not poop out the last meal that he ate on the 8th of December yet. My Dumeril,s boa is 16 months old now and he did not stop eating last year in winter. I,m pretty sure they will eat again in March or no later than April. The positive thing about it is that no one can accuse me of overfeeding my snakes anymore :-)
    Yes, if your snakes are overweight, then fasting can be a good thing. This is the first winter that I have kept the ambient temps fo all my snakes around 79-80 degrees F, and this is the first winter they have eaten without fail. I have spent a lot of money and time setting up my snake room to perfection, and it is showing now in their behavior as nearly ideal. I have invested so much into my husbandry this year, because I am 100% dedicated to starting some breeding projects, and growing a small python business. The snakes are so content, it was worth all the work I did for their environment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-10-2018)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Snakes don't stop eating in the winter, my pythons, dumerils and BCC don't turn down meals no matter the season unless they are in shed. The cold weather outside doesn't affect them because they have correct husbandry in their cages. What was tried last time when she did eat? Are you using a temp gun to check temps? What's the substrate, is there something to burrow or hide under?

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-12-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Snakes don't stop eating in the winter, my pythons, dumerils and BCC don't turn down meals no matter the season unless they are in shed. The cold weather outside doesn't affect them because they have correct husbandry in their cages. What was tried last time when she did eat? Are you using a temp gun to check temps? What's the substrate, is there something to burrow or hide under?
    I just weighed my BCI. He gained 100 grams in weight although he did not eat since 2 months. And my Dumerils boa lost only 50 grams although he did not eat since 3 months. So maybe they decided to stop eating in winter because they do not need food at the moment

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doronxl7 View Post
    Hey there..
    Does she have substrate like cypress or aspen to burrow in? If she's just on newspaper or paper towels for substrate she may not feel secure enough to eat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    I don't know if they stop eating at the winter but they do feel its winter, the air and atmosphere pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Does she have substrate like cypress or aspen to burrow in? If she's just on newspaper or paper towels for substrate she may not feel secure enough to eat.
    No, I don't have any substrate expect paper towels... I did put her in a substrate that allow her to borrow inside but that all what she did, borrow inside and never come out.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to doronxl7 For This Useful Post:

Dutti (02-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast