Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

0 members and 2,916 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding Interest Varies

This is the 2nd time in 4 weeks where F/T has not been taken by my BP and I'm wondering if this might be normal. I try to feed every 7 days and when one week is missed the interest level is extremely high and the prey is almost immediately taken. In fact, last week was the 1st time, I've ever seen my BP (340grams) come out of his hide, strike w/ a vengeance and immediately coil the prey. I was blown away. This week (6 days later), he showed some interest, made a pitiful attempt at a strike and missed, so I layed the f/t in front of his hide and came back this morning and it was still there. One thing to note, is the 1st couple of months, I always had to leave the prey for him and it was always gone by the morning.

Do you think a longer in between feeding schedule is needed for this particular eater? I hate to do this because I feel he needs to put on some weight. He's over a year old and weights 340grams.

Thanks

Re: Feeding Interest Varies

I think every two weeks is a pretty,average feeding schedule for them.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lirenn For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lirenn View Post
    I think every two weeks is a pretty,average feeding schedule for them.

I was thinking 2 weeks was average for a larger BP.

When a meal is skipped, is it still recommended to wait a certain amount of time to handle? I know it’s recommebed to wait a week to feed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-17-2018)

Thanks

My understanding is that not handling for 24 hours after feeding is to prevent regurgitation of the meal. If they don't eat it should be fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lirenn View Post
    My understanding is that not handling for 24 hours after feeding is to prevent regurgitation of the meal. If they don't eat it should be fine.

I always wait 48hrs for that same reason. I just wasn’t sure if there was still a ‘feeding mode’ that I need to worry about even though he did not eat. I would hate to get tagged for the 1st time ;

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    I always wait 48hrs for that same reason. I just wasn’t sure if there was still a ‘feeding mode’ that I need to worry about even though he did not eat. I would hate to get tagged for the 1st time ;
    No that's usually for people that have a stressed snake and maybe they just got them..then there's no touching until they start eating for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (02-10-2018),Sonny1318 (02-10-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Feeding and failure to feed can be due to various factor at that size/age. First you need to realize that 2 skip meals in 4 weeks is not a problem, second you need to see if things need to be adjusted or not or if it is a normal behavior for said snake

While generally a juvenile of that size with optimum husbandry will rarely stop eating it also depends how much the animal has been fed, BP will skip meals or even fast to catch up so feeding smaller prey especially to males is always recommended.

Now a typical cause for BP that size to start skipping meals or go of feed is usually husbandry related even an animal that has been house in the same condition for a while can start developing issues so making sure the husbandry is optimal (temps etc) and considering downsizing if not done already is always advisable.

Finally there is the age in question as well, you BP is now mature and while he is small he might be wanting to breed, I have had a small male this season going of feed at 400 grams (not something usual around here), this male is a year old and apparently he had breeding on his mind, I put him with some females he locked right away and now is eating again and has gained 250 grams in a very short amount of time.

As you can see reasons for not feeding can be as easy as being in shed to more complex reasons.

Try spacing the meals to every 10 days and double check your husbandry.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-13-2018),ckuhn003 (02-10-2018),dakski (02-17-2018),Godzilla78 (02-10-2018),Sonny1318 (02-10-2018)

Thanks

Appreciate the response Deborah!

After owning my BP for over 5 months now, I’ve seen a handful of different feeding responses from a ‘shy and wait until my owner leaves’ eater to a ‘strike and pull the prey into my hide’ eater. Every ‘aggressive feeding response’ has occurred after a missed feeding so that’s why I was wondering if I may need to space the meals farther apart then a week.

His meals have been adult mice (26-30grams). I’ve had some well documented issues with converting to f/t rats and I may try again once he puts some weight on (maybe around 400grams).

I’ll admit, I very rarely check surface temps because I just assume my Herpstat is doing its job. I just measured temps and recorded the following:

Hot side surface: 93. Cool side surface: 82

Ambient: 76-78 Humidity: 72%

As for your downsizing comment, he’s currently in a 36x12x12 pvc enclosure and I just ordered an AP T-10 which is considerably bigger. My biggest complaint about my current setup is the lack of depth when feeding. The hides get pushed up against the glass sometimes making it harder to feed. I think I remember you not recommending a T-8 or T-10 to BPs less then 500 grams. Hopefully my BP will be larger once it arrives and I’ll also try to clutter it with extra hides, etc...

Even though he didn’t eat this time, he still showed interest and struck once. That’s what has me scratching my head. Its almost like if he doesn’t connect on his 1st try, he gives up.

1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Appreciate the response Deborah!

After owning my BP for over 5 months now, I’ve seen a handful of different feeding responses from a ‘shy and wait until my owner leaves’ eater to a ‘strike and pull the prey into my hide’ eater. Every ‘aggressive feeding response’ has occurred after a missed feeding so that’s why I was wondering if I may need to space the meals farther apart then a week.

His meals have been adult mice (26-30grams). I’ve had some well documented issues with converting to f/t rats and I may try again once he puts some weight on (maybe around 400grams).

I’ll admit, I very rarely check surface temps because I just assume my Herpstat is doing its job. I just measured temps and recorded the following:

Hot side surface: 93. Cool side surface: 82

Ambient: 76-78 Humidity: 72%

As for your downsizing comment, he’s currently in a 36x12x12 pvc enclosure and I just ordered an AP T-10 which is considerably bigger. My biggest complaint about my current setup is the lack of depth when feeding. The hides get pushed up against the glass sometimes making it harder to feed. I think I remember you not recommending a T-8 or T-10 to BPs less then 500 grams. Hopefully my BP will be larger once it arrives and I’ll also try to clutter it with extra hides, etc...

Even though he didn’t eat this time, he still showed interest and struck once. That’s what has me scratching my head. Its almost like if he doesn’t connect on his 1st try, he gives up.

Here is what I have been doing for years with my males to try to help them eat during the winter/low pressure months, I keep them in nothing bigger than a 15 quarts tubs, and my rate of male refusing to eat has drastically dropped.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Here is what I have been doing for years with my males to try to help them eat during the winter/low pressure months, I keep them in nothing bigger than a 15 quarts tubs, and my rate of male refusing to eat has drastically dropped.
    That makes sense. I'll try to make it work based on the enclosure I have as well as try a 10 day feeding schedule.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-13-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast