Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,141

3 members and 3,138 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Student flushes ESA hamster down toilet after being turned away by airline

Oh dear lord. This is even worse than the person who sued McDonald's because they spilled their own hot coffee in their lap and it burned them. Because coffee is hot. She flushed her pet because an airline employee told her she should? Now what will she do without the emotional support! It's a freaking hamster. She could have just put it him her purse and no one would have known.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    An Eye for an Eye...
    Thirty days in jail, getting swirlies every day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I believe 99% of ESA claims are BS. It is just people trying to skirt the law and take their stupid obnoxious pets everywhere with them.
    "I cannot possibly live or travel without my hamster! Poor me, you have to comply with me, because I am completely tortured and dysfunctional without my precious hamster friend!" "Oh, you say I cannot board the plane without my precious, life-saving, hamster god? Ok, well, I will just flush it to death then, I was just making it up the whole time, I don't really care about it"

I love animals but I HATE obnoxious pet-owners that feel entitled to take their pets everywhere with them. It is getting ridiculous in my town. So many people try to take their dog everywhere with them, and it is annoying as heck to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    Oh dear lord. This is even worse than the person who sued McDonald's because they spilled their own hot coffee in their lap and it burned them. Because coffee is hot. She flushed her pet because an airline employee told her she should? Now what will she do without the emotional support! It's a freaking hamster. She could have just put it him her purse and no one would have known.
    The hot coffee thing is a lot different then this, since it was a 79 year old lady who ended up with 3rd degree burns. McDonalds at the time was heating their water to 180 degrees, and seeing as the Court agreed with the plaintiff.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[12] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9.1 kg) (nearly 20% of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for 3 weeks, which was provided by her daughter.[13] Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.[14][15]
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.[2] McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton, testified that this number of injuries was insufficient to cause the company to evaluate its practices. He argued that all foods hotter than 130 °F (54 °C) constituted a burn hazard, and that restaurants had more pressing dangers to worry about. The plaintiffs argued that Appleton conceded that McDonald's coffee would burn the mouth and throat if consumed when served.[18]
    I'm not going to comment on the current debate, because I'm not emotionally invested in the situation. but leave that old lady alone y'all lmao.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-12-2018),Booper (02-12-2018),tttaylorrr (02-10-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Nothing surprises me anymore... I spend a lot of time looking at what others do or say with a dumbfounded look on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    The whole ESA thing aside, there is something people realize: you can not put faith in what some call center flunky tells you on the phone; if a policy is important, it's important enough to get in writing. It doesn't matter if you're dealing with your landlord, a car dealer, the IRS, your mortgage company, your insurance company... get it in writing.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Booper (02-12-2018),Starscream (02-10-2018),Sunnieskys (02-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    The hot coffee thing is a lot different then this, since it was a 79 year old lady who ended up with 3rd degree burns. McDonalds at the time was heating their water to 180 degrees, and seeing as the Court agreed with the plaintiff.

I'm not going to comment on the current debate, because I'm not emotionally invested in the situation. but leave that old lady alone y'all lmao.
    THANK YOU. that poor woman's labia was MELTED to her thigh; she NEEDED surgery to correct her body. she only sued to cover medical costs. she does NOT deserve to be the face of frivolous lawsuits.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-12-2018),Booper (02-12-2018),Starscream (02-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    THANK YOU. that poor woman's labia was MELTED to her thigh; she NEEDED surgery to correct her body. she only sued to cover medical costs. she does NOT deserve to be the face of frivolous lawsuits.
    I think there were actually a few cases of people suing McD's over hot coffee.

...and while that's a pretty disturbing case, I just can't get on board with the sue-happy nature of our country sometimes. We're actually known for it around the world. McD's is a large enough company however that they undoubtedly would have covered medical expenses from a case like that because one or two pictures could have multi-million dollar consequences as far as negative publicity goes. It's a no-brainer to a corporation like that.

Man sees an icy patch on the sidewalk.
    Man walks into the icy patch on the sidewalk.
    Man sues the owner of the property the sidewalk is on.
    Man wins the case due to lawyers over-exaggerating the pain and agony he suffered.
    Lawyers pocket 80% of the amount.
    ...his insurance company makes up the money by simply charging everyone else more for their premiums.

It's like personal responsibility/common sense has been tossed out completely. This is what happens in the medical industry as well. It's why medical malpractice insurance for physicians is INSANELY priced.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Side note - I had never actually researched the 'hot coffee' lawsuit so thank you to Starscream and ttaylorrr for shedding some light on that issue.

I cannot imagine needing an ESA and then being so quick to 'flush' it (if that even really happened) if it was really that important to you. The airline scheduled her on a 3 hr later flight so she could figure out what to do with it but she decided, nah, I'll just trash this little life that was *so necessary* so I can make the quicker flight. Guess she didn't need any emotional support for the loss of a life at her own hands. It really does feel like a scam to sue. Poor lil hammie if he did indeed get flushed.
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

How in the world can anyone think forceful drowning is humane??????? . It's a terrible, painful way to perish. Gasping, struggling to breathe, choking and having your lungs fill with water is just a criminal and painful way to go. Emotional support? Wow. Basic criminality.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-21-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-12-2018),WNC (02-13-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast