Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,964

0 members and 2,964 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Student flushes ESA hamster down toilet after being turned away by airline

ESA watch, 2/9/18 report:

the ESA controversy soars to new heights as it reaches a new low w/ a cute lil ESA hamster was flushed down an airport toilet by its owner after being denied boarding! can these peeps be helped?

here's the link and full story: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...198971069.html
    Bad info from Spirit Air led me to flush pet hamster down airport toilet, student says
    Before Belen Aldecosea flew home from from college to South Florida, she twice called Spirit Airlines to ensure she could bring along a special guest: Pebbles, her pet dwarf hamster. No problem, the airline told her.

But when Aldecosea arrived at the Baltimore airport, Spirit refused to allow the tiny animal on the flight.

With her only friends hours away at campus, Aldecosea was stuck. She says an airline representative suggested flushing Pebbles down an airport toilet, a step that Spirit denies. Panicked and needing to return home promptly to deal with a medical issue, Aldecosea unsuccessfully tried renting a car and agonized for hours before doing the unthinkable.

She flushed Pebbles.

“She was scared. I was scared. It was horrifying trying to put her in the toilet,” Aldecosea said. “I was emotional. I was crying. I sat there for a good 10 minutes crying in the stall.”

Aldecosea, 21, of Miami Beach, is now considering filing a lawsuit against Spirit over the conflicting instructions that wound up pressuring her into making an anguished decision with a pet certified by her doctor as an emotional support animal. She shared her story with the Miami Herald weeks after the story of an emotional support peacock — denied entrance to a United Airlines flight — went viral on the Internet.

This case is much different, said her South Florida attorney, Adam Goodman. “This wasn’t a giant peacock that could pose a danger to other passengers. This was a tiny cute harmless hamster that could fit in the palm of her hand,” he said.

A spokesman for Spirit acknowledged the airline mistakenly told her that Pebbles was allowed. But he denied that a Spirit employee recommended the option of disposing of her pet in an airport restroom.

“To be clear, at no point did any of our agents suggest this guest (or any other for that matter) should flush or otherwise injure an animal,” spokesman Derek Dombrowski said.

After the Nov. 21 incident, Aldecosea said that she emailed to complain and that the airline, a few days later, offered her a voucher for a free flight to certain cities. She declined.

Animals on flights have become a lightning rod for controversy in recent years, with some passengers grumbling their fellow travelers are taking advantage of federal law to get humble household pets on planes. From 2016 to 2017, American Airlines recorded an increase of over 40 percent in customers who flew with a service or support animal.

Several airlines have tightened restrictions on service and emotional support animals in recent weeks.

The U.S. Transportation Safety Administration has no problem with carry-on hamsters. “Hamsters are welcome in our checkpoint. Their container would typically go through the X-ray while the owner would hold the hamster as the passenger walks through the metal detector so the creature is not subjected to radiation,” according to TSA spokeswoman Sari Koshetz.

It’s up to airlines whether they allow hamsters on board. Most major carriers such as American, Delta and United, however, don’t allow rodents over concerns about safety and health.

Emotional support animals are usually dogs and cats, but have included squirrels and sheep.

Aldecosea says Pebbles was a true comfort animal and she had her doctor’s letter certifying the rodent. Dwarf hamsters grow no more than four inches and weigh less than two ounces. A typical cellphone is longer and twice as heavy.

A Miami Beach High grad, Aldecosea played volleyball at Barry University before transferring to Wilson College in Chambersburg, Penn., last year. It was during her first lonely semester there that Aldecosea developed a painful golf-ball size growth in her neck, leading to a cancer scare.

Frazzled that fall, Aldecosea decided she needed a distraction. At a Pennsylvania Petco, she bought calm and quiet Pebbles. The hamster lived in her dorm room in a small plastic cage with a green spinning wheel, always scurrying to the front of the cage to greet her owner.

“She was so loving. It was like she knew I needed somebody,” said Aldecosea.

In November, Aldecosea learned the growth was benign, but it was still painful. Withdrawing from school and going home hoping to have it removed, Aldecosea booked a Spirit flight from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport to Fort Lauderdale.

Several days before, she twice called Spirit to verify that the hamster could fly. The rep told her it was fine — an assurance that Spirit, after reviewing the conversations, agrees was given to Aldecosea. “Our reservation representative, unfortunately, did misinform the guest that a hamster was permitted to fly as an emotional support animal on Spirit Airlines,” spokesman Dombrowski wrote in an email.

When Aldecosea showed up that day, she said, the first Spirit agent checked her emotional support pet in with no problem. Pebbles was in a small cage that fit regulations for carry-on luggage.

“They gave me the wrong information more than once,” said Aldecosea, now a student at Texas State University.

But as she walked toward the security checkpoint, a second Spirit employee chased her down, hollering that rodents were not allowed. She said Spirit agents told her she could not put the hamster in the cargo hold either.

After hectic discussions, an outraged Aldecosea accepted a flight later that day to try and figure out what to do with Pebbles. But she had no friends or family in town to pick up Pebbles. It was then, Aldecosea insists, that an employee suggested letting Pebbles go free outside or flushing her down the toilet.

For hours, Aldecosea said, she struggled with what to do. She contacted at least six rental car agencies, but no cars were available during the busy holiday season and she wasn’t old enough to rent a car anyway. A Greyhound bus would have taken days to get to South Florida.

With her flight boarding soon, she pondered whether to just let Pebbles free outside. She said she considered it more humane to end her life right away, and not let her run around scared in the cold, only to die getting hit by a car.

“I didn’t have any other options,” she said.
    more here, including a vid link that discusses therapy snakes: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...t-alleges.html

and here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...208-story.html

hhmmm was it really a choice between letting her hamster get hit by a car or to flush it?

would u flush your ESA hamster? ESA goldfish? ESA snake? whattabout your ESA gator?

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I would never flush or hurt any animal. I would not have boarded that plane. There is no excuse. None. While we can't know what is going on in her head or the real story....ya somethings off. I would have shipped my hammy overnight or same day to the destination.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Booper (02-12-2018),C.Marie (02-21-2018),WNC (03-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Student flushes ESA hamster down toilet after being turned away by airline

I was about to post this, you beat me to it. This ESA crap is getting out of hand, she couldn't give it away? Hire a pet sitter to watch it while she went home? Come on, she took a flight later that day there was time to figure out what do to with the poor thing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-21-2018),KevinK (02-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I read that ghastly story. It's hard for me to believe it's real. Although if you are not emotionally stable enough to fly w/o your hamster, I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility you're not stable enough to find alternatives to painfully ending it's life.

Let's say, I hope her story is fabricated in an effort to get a payout from the airline and/or some internet fame.

If she really did do this, she's clinically nuts and should be banned from owning animals. To many alternatives available to justify what she did.

Seriously though - who would do that????

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-21-2018),MissterDog (02-09-2018),tttaylorrr (02-10-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So if they told her to jump of a cliff she would?
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-10-2018),C.Marie (02-21-2018),GoingPostal (02-09-2018),MissterDog (02-09-2018),redshepherd (02-09-2018),Slicercrush (02-27-2018),Sonny1318 (02-09-2018),Sunnieskys (02-09-2018),WNC (03-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I see people at the VA with ESA's. And they bark, and growl. I'm like ummmNO! And with signs that clearly state only SERVICE ANIMALS are allowed. Not ESA's. Drives me up a wall! I'm taking boople with me next time...maybe she will eat a little nippy growls dog! Oops my esa ate your esa animal. Sorry about that!
    Last edited by Sunnieskys; 02-09-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Student flushes ESA hamster down toilet after being turned away by airline

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    I read that ghastly story. It's hard for me to believe it's real. Although if you are not emotionally stable enough to fly w/o your hamster, I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility you're not stable enough to find alternatives to painfully ending it's life.

Let's say, I hope her story is fabricated in an effort to get a payout from the airline and/or some internet fame.

If she really did do this, she's clinically nuts and should be banned from owning animals. To many alternatives available to justify what she did.

Seriously though - who would do that????
    several stories state that she will be suing the airline. i think that's what needs to happen. it needs to go to the courts and the courts will ultimately decide the law of the land. in the meantime, airlines, restaurants, etc. need to beef up their policies on ESA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    So if they told her to jump of a cliff she would?
    sadly i think she would ponder whether to hang around the airport and have a long drawn out demise from starvation and boredom OR to end it immediately by jumping off a bridge before choosing the latter.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-21-2018),tttaylorrr (02-10-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ummm, wow. Can we flush the girl?

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Booper (02-12-2018),C.Marie (02-21-2018),Godzilla78 (02-09-2018),Kira (02-09-2018),MissterDog (02-09-2018),Slicercrush (02-27-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (02-09-2018),Trisnake (02-13-2018)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    We need to flush the whole planet if this is how stupid and useless people are now. Even if all drains did lead to the ocean pretty sure a hamster isn't Nemo.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (02-21-2018)

Thanks
    I think this is either fabricated OR she did it for the sole purpose to get attention / sue. I believe the airlines (at least Delta I think) are requiring people have written health cert on their ESA and limit the species, etc. and they inform people before they fly, so this chick most certainly knew she wouldn't be allowed to board with it before she came.

I also think, that if she is so emotionally attached to this ESA that she can't live without it (travel, etc.) then she would not have flushed it... Hence my statement earlier that this smells like a scheme to me. If she is this emotionally unstable that she is willing to kill her ESA, then she needs professional help...and probably to be in a facility of some kind getting therapy.

She would have had options... contact animal control, for example, or contact a family member or friend to come get it... So again, more fuel for the idea that this was a setup on her part if not a fabrication all together.

This would count as animal cruelty, correct? In that case, shouldn't she be charged?
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Alicia (02-10-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-09-2018),Godzilla78 (02-09-2018),Trisnake (02-13-2018),WNC (02-13-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast