Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

1 members and 2,858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Concerned about corkscrewing in a spider PT. 2

I will start a new thread for simplicity sake since some people are unable to follow the previous one.

Overview: I picked up a spider ball python who has what appears to be a very serious head wobble from stress or potentially something else, like damage from overheating.

How can I post a video to show what he is doing?

I walked into the room today and he was upside down with his head underwater again and it took him about 20 seconds of struggling to get himself out. Most of yesterday and today he has been still and not moving around like this but then again he started his very strange movement. Last night however, I found him with the back half of himself turned over so that his belly was facing almost up. I have never seen a snake, including spiders, do that before.

Has anyone seen a spider or any other snake lay like that?

He continues to do small corkscrews on the ground, often ending up upside down and unable to right himself

Thanks

Re: Concerned about corkscrewing in a spider PT. 2

This is more than a spider wobble, multiple people including myself expressed this. Upload to youtube then paste link here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oodaT For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-08-2018),CALM Pythons (02-08-2018),zina10 (02-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Personally, if it keeps acting like you described, with its head upside down in the water bowl...I would cull it. Also, I would never own a spider in the first place, though I don't judge people that do.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2018),Crowfingers (02-15-2018),PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2018)

Thanks

Re: Concerned about corkscrewing in a spider PT. 2

Quote Originally Posted by oodaT View Post
    This is more than a spider wobble, multiple people including myself expressed this. Upload to youtube then paste link here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some said it was more, others said it was stress and I was overreacting. I will try to post a video to youtube now.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    As I've said in the other thread, imho there is more going on then just the "spider thing" or head wobble. Of course I could be wrong, though..

This sounds like severe neurological damage.

Can be caused by many things. Since the snake wasn't in your possession until very recently, any damage due to fumes (bug treatments, glues, paint, etc) or heat could have happened at the former home and you probably will never find out for sure.

I would be far more worried about the possibility of a serious disease. No one should be paranoid and see "IBD" in every funky thing a snake does, BUT its also not smart to just ignore the possibilities esp in light of the snakes behavior. And its not just IBD, there are other serious diseases to worry about.

All you can do is either wait and see if the snake gets better, take it to a Vet and get any test that can be done on a living animal, or put the snake down.

Either way, I would be going out of my way to practice the STRICTEST quarantine possible.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-09-2018),PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2018)

Thanks
    This is quite honestly some of the less drastic movements
    he has made and if I am able to video the more severe movement I will post it and share here.
    https://youtu.be/AOGyfZ-hLJI

Thanks
    That there "could" be a severe Spider neuro problem. BUT, I don't think the snake would have thrived and grown that big with that severe of a problem.

On top of that you say that isn't the worse he does, and that he does it even when everything is low key, low stress.

Is he in a rack ? Is it a bit darker normally?

What I would do for now is to give him a smaller waterdish and keep it somewhat shallow. Enough to drink of course, but so he can't drown himself. Keep him in a dark place or give him hides. It may calm him.
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    The snake is mentally damaged, wether genetic or environmental, it appears to be pretty whack. Especially if it is often more severe, as you described.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-08-2018),PokeyTheNinja (02-09-2018)

Thanks
    Him and the other snakes I picked up are all in tubs on my office desk with heat tape as a quarantine area. My other snakes are downstairs while these ones are upstairs.

They are all in tubs with blocked out sides so they can't see each other, with two hides and a water dish. That room is dark except for daylight coming through the closed blinds and the light when I come into the room, although I usually turn it on very dimly as to not startle the snakes.

That time his "movement" only lasted a short time, it usually lasts for longer, and consists of more twisting of the entire top section of his body, not just the neck. And not only that, he doesn't often right himself and slither away like he does in that video, he will stop with his head upside down for a short period then corkscrew again and often flop forward unintentionally and then stay still.

Im also concerned about the fact that I found him with his belly facing outwards and not to the ground

Thanks
    Try to give him a hide or two, even if that takes up most of the tub...Also black out the top and back as well, or just lay a big towel across the tub, only leaving the front open. See if that will help him..

No matter what the neuro symptoms are caused by, that should help in either way..
    Zina

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast